Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Επισκέπτης

Has been very quiet here lately

Where is everybody? Hope you all enjoy a wonderful 2018.

Looks like all the regulars who used to post here often are mostly gone (I haven't seen eyoismos in here in ages!). Dino is managing and only posting on our Facebook since a couple of years ago (he has no time for both Facebook and forum). Not sure where the rest of the regulars are. Some are still reading all the new posts but are not participating, while most of the Greeks who visit this forum regularly are only interested in music and don't bother posting anywhere else.

This is too bad as we've had some fun discussions over the years  :)

Happy new year!

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες

No. I'm not joking. A topic all agree on is not worth debating. A forum needs controversy.

I agree. Controversy is very good on a forum. The stuff Patrick was spewing was not. It was the reason I left the forum for quite a long time, and I'm pretty sure I was not the only one.

Happy New Year!

Not declaring I am back, but a few things kept me away.

1) I had a bad job second half of 2015, got a new job that turned out to be for a terrible company, Oct of 2017 landed a good job at a mostly good company, but busy at work

2) We Americans elected a racist, sexist, corrupt, idiot... for president, it has diverted my attention a bit

3) More life stuff, a couple of extended hospital visits by mother, new puppy, kid sports, oldest kid going to college, wife getting a job, so more for me to do at home, ...

Επισκέπτης

Happy New Year!

Not declaring I am back, but a few things kept me away.

1) I had a bad job second half of 2015, got a new job that turned out to be for a terrible company, Oct of 2017 landed a good job at a mostly good company, but busy at work

2) We Americans elected a racist, sexist, corrupt, idiot... for president, it has diverted my attention a bit

3) More life stuff, a couple of extended hospital visits by mother, new puppy, kid sports, oldest kid going to college, wife getting a job, so more for me to do at home, ...

Understandable.

I didn't have a great year myself. Anyhow, a new year dawned and I hope it turns out great! For all of us. 

Επισκέπτης

here is a topic:

The BBC and Netflix are gearing up for a brand new epic drama Troy: Fall Of A City, which promises an

awe-inspiring take on the classic tale of war and vengeance.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/21/first-look-at-troy-fall-of-a-city-its-fit-for-a-king-7174850/

From the Cast:

Hakeem Kae-Kazim as Zeus

220px-Hakeem_Kae-Kazim.jpg

David Gyasi as Achilles

David%20Gyasi%20Image.jpg

I don't have any problem with that, I've never seen a picture of Zeus or Achilles for all I know there is good chance they were black.

What I want to know is this:

Are the Greeks, people who go ballistic over Slavic Makedonians, are they ready for a black Zeus and a black Achilles?

Your thoughts?

Ha ha, yes I read this article a few days ago. I don't think there's a good chance that anyone living in the area we now call Greece in those days would be black. Of course Zeus and Achilles are mythological characters so this is a mute point  :P

Επισκέπτης

well, not that it matters, but it is quite likely that Achilles, as a representative of 12 century BCE Phthiotis, was Black.

The name Phthiotis is of African origin, same goes for the name of the city of Thebes. Kadmos the mythical founder of Thebes has an Egyptian name.

Chances are "Achilles" had, at least some, Nubian in him.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the reactions once the production registers in the Greek blogosphere.

Επισκέπτης

The original Thebes was in Egypt. That's an undeniable fact.

As for the name Kadmos, it is most likely of Egyptian origin. While other origins are possible the only existing references do point to Egypt.

The timeline of the founding of Graecian Thebes does also support this. Greece was a Pelasgian domain until the collapse of the Aegean seafaring civilizations which occured in the aftermath of the Thera erruption around 1550 BCE.

Up to that point the Phoenicians where nowhere to be found. They appear on the radar around 1500 BCE. This coincides with the period of the New Kingdom of Egypt which at that time had conquered the Levant up to Cilicia. The Phoenicians were subjects and in the service of the New Kingdom that lasted from 1550 to 1077. And (Egyptian) Thebes was the capital of that kingdom from 1550 until 1279. All this offers a perfect explanation for why Greek Thebes came to be named after Egyptian Thebes.

And lets not forget that, according to Greek Mythology, Kadmos was the son of Τηλεφάασσα who in turn was the daughter of Νειλος (aka the river Nile).

The name of the Egyptian city is not Thebes, it's Waset. Thebes is a Greek name. I don't know why the Egyptian city was later renamed to Thebes, it's possible that people from Thebes (Greece) moved there during the Ptolemies' rule and renamed the city, or it could be that the Ptolemies themselves renamed Waset as they did with many other Egyptian cities during their rule.

Encyclopaedia Brittanica does indeed mention that the original name of the city during ancient times was Wase or Nowe, but doesn't give an explanation as to why and when it was renamed to Thebes (as we know it today): https://www.britannica.com/place/Thebes-ancient-Egypt

So in that respect, even though Waset is clearly much much older than the Greek city of Thebes, the Greek (or Phoenician?) name/term Thebes is older and it's clearly Greek in origin (or Phoenician?), not Egyptian.

I found this (in Greek) which is explaining a bit more about the history of Cadmus and the Thebans (not sure about the validity of these arguments): http://www.krassanakis.gr/thebes.htm

Wikipedia's entry on Cadmus says what I mentioned earlier, that he was possible of Semitic/Phoenician background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmus

Επισκέπτης

From Wikipedia:

Thebes is the Latinized form of the Greek Thebai, the hellenized form of the Demotic Egyptian Ta-pe.

This was the local name not for the city itself but for the Karnak temple complex on the northern east bank of the city. (Ta-opet in formal Egyptian.) As early as Homer's Iliad,[8] the Greeks distinguished the Egyptian Thebes as Thebes of the Hundred Gates (Θῆβαι ἑκατόμπυλοι, Thēbai hekatómpyloi) or Hundred-Gated Thebes, as opposed to the "Thebes of the Seven Gates" (Θῆβαι ἑπτάπυλοι, Thēbai heptapyloi) in Boeotia, Greece.

Thebes in Egypt was called so way befor Ptolemy. The name may have refered to the nearby Temple complex yet it is still of Egyptian origin.

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed