Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest World of Kemp

Lessons in Greek

Guest FriendofGreece

I find Greek grammar very difficult to remember, with the various declensions and case forms, as mentioned in this link. If those are skipped and nouns remain as they are, it would make learning the language much easier. When trying to speak Greek, I just say the words and forget about the declensions, etc., at least to pass the message even if it is not grammatically correct.

http://www.greek-language.com/grammar/04.html

This list rates the levels of difficulty in learning various languages, It is interesting that Greek is a category 4 with many other languages, so it is not so difficult relatively.

http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες

Greek grammar is no more difficult or different than the grammar of the latin languages. Greek is easier to learn for French, Italians, Spaniards etc. (and vice versa...) because the grammatical rules are very similar. English is in a league of its own when it comes to grammar :)

Even though the grammatical rules in English are in the most part simpler and easier to learn, there are so many exceptions to the rule which make it almost impossible even for native speakers to speak the language properly :)

It never ceases to amaze me how native English speakers in executive positions (mainly Americans and Canadians, Brits are a bit better) make a ton of grammatical errors when they speak and especially when they write in English.

Guest FriendofGreece

I think the specific difficulty with Greek grammar (for me, maybe not for other learners) resides in the declensions. Thus, for example, a noun takes so many forms. What for, it does not really add to the meaning of the noun. You don't find those declensions for nouns in English or French. I don't know about other European languages.

I think if a language is your native one, you tend to make more errors than a foreigner learning it. How do Greeks write in Greek, do they make mistakes too like the native English speakers you mentioned?

Guest eyoismos

wait a minute .. the speak english in the US?

like for example ...when i first heard somebody say "write me"  ... to be honest , i packed up laughing

why? well translate literally to greek and you get "grapse me" -> "γράψε με"  - hahahaha

its like they took greek and translated , and then adopted it to their kind of thinking

to our english speakers who are trying to get a grip on the language and its idiosyncrasies and slang , when one say " σε γράφω" -> "I write you" ...... think ...well.... to put it bluntly .... i place you on my balls .... basically meaning .... i don't give you a flying continental who you are, what you say, and what you do

or there abouts

not very nice, obviously

but you can understand why i laugh, when th yankees say "write me"

oh the fun of literal word for word translations

often have endless amusement playing with words an phrases

:D

Guest eyoismos

That is an interesting observation, Admin. Could it be that Greek grammar is better taught in Greek schools?

I have this pet theory. greek is almost void of exceptions to grammar and spelling and all that, and once one masters (sic) the basic rules, its get quite easy to work things out. greek in essence is quite rigid - we are talking NO "i" before "e" except after "c" except for .... etc

i mean really .... english has exceptions to its exceptions

which is in itself highly amusing

greeks have a highly disciplined language, and sure there are a lot of rules, a lot more than english can even fathom, and yet its speakers are soooooo undisciplined , they couldnt organize a piss-up in a brewery, so to speak. ok. sure .... they sure know ho to organize strikes. i give you that, bu then zero results - hahahahaahah

(when i sent my wife to visit my son in greece, as a 21st birthday present , one of here amusing experiences was, as she told me , and verified by my son, now residing there, .... whole lot of people getting together on the street for a protest march .... in the one hand frape coffee, the other smoking a cigarette, while holding a phone between shoulder and side of face, yapping away like there is no tomorrow. and we are not talking one or two here..... according to her, there where an awful lot practicing this strange contortionist multitasking. that was the lot who where actually going to march.  - wait ... and the best part still to come ..... and then there where all the spectators that gathered around on the side of the streets, all along the "path" the procession was suppose to take place, with anticipation for the soon to be "spectacle" , like its some sort of amusement, even sideshow entertainment. and the best part ...which had my wife in stitches .... yup. the spectators where loaded with frape in one hand, a fag in the other, and hand off inventions for their cel phones - my wife, who by the way is not greek ...all she could say to me when she returned..... .  you greeks are crazy ...but you have this unique way of having fun out of things that are supposed to be serious

haahahha

kinda fits in to what i mentioned earlier on about dealing with situations the best way one can

anyways ... got sidetracked . as i said ... greek is disciplined a language ..... as opposed to the brits , who have a pretty fucked up language, and yet one can not find fault with them generally as far as discipline is concerned. which probably explains why ....well.... "empire that the sun never sets" comes to mind and its consequences thereof

the complete irony of it all

whoever said there is no relationship between a language and how its speakers think and act needs to ..... lets leave it at that, shall we - he he he he

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed