Hellenism.Net

Sign in to follow this  
Guest daman

What does this mean??

Guest daman

greek: 2 με τον λαζοαμερικάνο

google translation: 2 with the lazoamerikano 

I dont even know what a lazoamerikano is. I tried looking up lazo on urban dictionary. then the phrase all together" But Ihave un conclusive results. the whole tweet does make sense to me. any insight?

Not quite sure.

I'd assume that someone is saying that there's going to be 2 people, including an American (maybe they wanted to type "χαζοαμερικάνο" - "stupid american"?). In any case, seems that whoever wrote this was trying to put down the "American".

Guest daman

Not quite sure.

I'd assume that someone is saying that there's going to be 2 people, including an American (maybe they wanted to type "χαζοαμερικάνο" - "stupid american"?). In any case, seems that whoever wrote this was trying to put down the "American".

ok so there is only a 1 letter difference in the 2 words?

well according to google translate the word you wrote means "chazoamerikano"

Lazoamericanos means Laz-American

The Laz are Peoples who live around the south eastern corner of the Black sea. The same area where the Pontians used to live before they came to Greece. Greeks use it as a derogatory term for people of Pontian origin who imigrated to the US and Germany, havent heard it for other countries, but

Lazoamerikanoi

Lazogermanoi

Is used quite often. I used to be a Lazogermanos myself. Became a Lazoamerikanos since I came to the US. I'm being called both on a regular basis. I take it as a compliment though.

Guest eyoismos

ditto from me too

had to check it out and  ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laz_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laz_language

The majority of the Laz today live in an area they call Laziǩa or Lazona (ლაზონა) in Northeast Turkey, in a strip of land along the shore of the Black Sea. The ancient kingdom of Colchis, and its successor, Lazica, was located in the same region the Laz speakers are found in today, and its inhabitants probably spoke an ancestral version of the language. Colchis was the setting for the famous greek legend of Jason and the Argonauts.

naturally that got my attention ... and of course off i went reading about the argonauts .... again

great pointer ajax

but i have to ask ... do you identify yourself as laz or pontian?

i mean ... lazica and pontos, from what i read, could be thought off as different "regions" of the same broader region, but at  the same time, overlapping

The Laz belong to the Mingrelian ethnic family, so do the Georgians.

Pontians were originally closer to the Persians, We were part of the Persian empire for a very long time and most Kings of Pontos where of Persian extraction. There is also a non deniable North-Caucasian strand in the fabric of Pontian ancestry. Nevertheless much of Pontian culture, such as music and Dance, is of Laz origin. The Laz-Pontian connection was established when Manuel Comnenos married princess Rusudan the sister of queen Tamar of Georgia. His sons, Alexios and David asked their aunt Tamar for help against the Sultanate of Rum. Tamar send many Georgian Laz warriors and their families to settle around Trebizond. Thus the similarities between Pontian and Laz dress, music and dance.

If you wanna know more about the Kingdom of Pontus in antiquity and the beginnings of Pontian identity visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Pontus

eyo:

but i have to ask ... do you identify yourself as laz or pontian?

As Pontian of course. I do not deny our relation to the Laz either but we are not just Laz. Pontians are a mix of Ionian settlers who lived along the coast, Persians who lived all over the place, indigenous people who lived in the region for ever and late comers such as the Galatians, Georgians and Altaic Turks. Although there has been an Altaic influence in Pontos for millenia before the first Turks arrived due to the fact that it was one of the western endpoints of the silk road.

Pontian as a distinct identity begins with Mithridates I of Pontos, who seceded from the Antigonide part of the former Persian empire and established the Pontian Kingdom in 302 BCE. He is also refered to as Ktistes as in "The Builder" of Pontos.

Come to think of it I truly am an Ionian. The word means "Drifter" after all and I have drifted across half the globe so far and I'm not done drifting yet.

Guest daman

Thanks for the info and clarification on that word ajaxmonkey

Why is the term derogatory?

And in the quote I have above I wonder WHY he called me that? Do I look like laz people? the whole comment still confuses me. For now I unfollowed his/her account on twitter but maybe it wasn't ment to be mean? 

Basically I followed his/her account and tweeted my "greece haircut" video and asked them to retweet. So he/she did (it was just a cartoon for a profile photo so I dont know if its a guy or girl) and they responded with the greek comment above with #cries or something. dont remembr the word at the moment but I looked it up. So I think they thougt the video was funny so they retweeted it with that tag. I just dont get the reference but for some reason it seem rather interesting. At this point I can only figure he ment 2 retweets because there was another on right before him on my timeline and the lazo americano tihng was just their way of making a joke cause they thought I looked like one?

to be fair I went back just now and refollowed because I'm not getting an insult vibe from that tweet.

FYI: this is the twitter account. https://twitter.com/_GiaNt_?lang=en

Thanks for the info and clarification on that word ajaxmonkey

Why is the term derogatory?

And in the quote I have above I wonder WHY he called me that? Do I look like laz people? the whole comment still confuses me. For now I unfollowed his/her account on twitter but maybe it wasn't ment to be mean? 

Basically I followed his/her account and tweeted my "greece haircut" video and asked them to retweet. So he/she did (it was just a cartoon for a profile photo so I dont know if its a guy or girl) and they responded with the greek comment above with #cries or something. dont remembr the word at the moment but I looked it up. So I think they thougt the video was funny so they retweeted it with that tag. I just dont get the reference but for some reason it seem rather interesting. any ideas now that we all know what the word means?

When my Grandparents came from Anatolia our "Pure Blooded Greek" compatriots were calling them Laz to let them know that they didn't belong there. When my parents immigrated to Germany they became "Lazogermanoi". That was Greeces way of telling us you don't belong here twice with a single word. Since I live in America now last time I visited Greece I was called Lazoamerikanos at least twice.

You don't have to be a Pontian or related in any way to the Laz to be called Lazoamerikanos though. At some point the term came to mean:

You are someone of inferior stock clad in a German/American veneer who pretents to be Greek but has no business being here.

Fuck it. Greeks are in their majority morons and nowadays most use the term jokingly without thinking about the original meaning of it. And I think thats whats going on here.

Guest daman

When my Grandparents came from Anatolia our "Pure Blooded Greek" compatriots were calling them Laz to let them know that they didn't belong there. When my parents immigrated to Germany they became "Lazogermanoi". That was Greeces way of telling us you don't belong here twice with a single word. Since I live in America now last time I visited Greece I was called Lazoamerikanos at least twice.

You don't have to be a Pontian or related in any way to the Laz to be called Lazoamerikanos though. At some point the term came to mean:

You are someone of inferior stock clad in a German/American veneer who pretents to be Greek but has no business being here.

Fuck it. Greeks are in their majority morons and nowadays most use the term jokingly without thinking about the original meaning of it. And I think thats whats going on here.

ohh.. I think I get it now. As to WHY that term became offensive. Correct me if I'm wrong but you said you were Pontian right? and the 2 are very close but are in fact different..they just have close ties. Well, maybe to the Greeks back then they thought they LOOKED like LAZ people. Matter of fact they no doubt used the term LAZ for ANYONE from the "northern territory". I could see how if after correcting them and they still called them that, how it could become offensive. NOW on the other hand if someone WAS a "laz" I dont think it would phase them in the slightest. and especially if someone is a LAZ living in America. They really WOULD be a "laz american" Same way I am a "Greek-American" But I do understand how over time its possible for certain snobby people to take a word and use it a certain way and context and it just catch on. America is infamous for it.

But to help put things in perspective and maybe make you feel a little better... even IF you are full greek its like never good enough lol. because they all seem to believe that THEIR part of greece is better. Like Mainland greeks vs. Island greeks. Or Northern Greeks vs Athens greeks kinda thing. TRY not to feel "targeted" because they kinda do it with each other too. 

thanks again for the info!!! me and my cousins had NO idea about that word. And They speak greek and have visited it before too. And even Greeks on this board had no idea. So it may just be a certain "region" of greece where this term caught on and went through various phases.

ohh.. I think I get it now. As to WHY that term became offensive. Correct me if I'm wrong but you said you were Pontian right? and the 2 are very close but are in fact different..they just have close ties. Well, maybe to the Greeks back then they thought they LOOKED like LAZ people. Matter of fact they no doubt used the term LAZ for ANYONE from the "northern territory". I could see how if after correcting them and they still called them that, how it could become offensive. NOW on the other hand if someone WAS a "laz" I dont think it would phase them in the slightest. and especially if someone is a LAZ living in America. They really WOULD be a "laz american" Same way I am a "Greek-American" But I do understand how over time its possible for certain snobby people to take a word and use it a certain way and context and it just catch on. America is infamous for it.

But to help put things in perspective and maybe make you feel a little better... even IF you are full greek its like never good enough lol. because they all seem to believe that THEIR part of greece is better. Like Mainland greeks vs. Island greeks. Or Northern Greeks vs Athens greeks kinda thing. TRY not to feel "targeted" because they kinda to it with eachother too.

thanks again for the info!!! me and my cousins had NO idea about that word. And They speak greek and have visited it before too. And even Greeks on this board had no idea. So it may just be a certain "region" of greece where this term caught on and went through various phases.

No there are other reasons there too. For one, as the Turks where expelled from Macedonia the Locals who lived there took all the land vacated by the Turks to themselves. The Greek government on the other hand decided to give that land to the Pontians who lost their lands in Turkey. Needless to say, the Locals who suddenly saw themselves as big time land owners were not amused see lands they intended to take for themselves go to some newcomers from Anatolia.

Later when people immigrated, and not just Pontians, they used to come back from Germany and the US with hart currency and buy up propertie. And a lot of them used also to make a big show of the new wealth they had earned abroad. This caused quite a bit of resentment. And it was in some part even justified.

And make no mistake. I'm neither German nor American nor Greek. I'm only Pontian and very comfortable with it.

Come to think of it I truly am an Ionian. The word means "Drifter" after all and I have drifted across half the globe so far and I'm not done drifting yet.

Where did you get that Ionian means "drifter". I've never heard of this before.

I guess you could call me an Ionian/Aeolian too as my family lived in that part of Asia Minor for centuries (as far as I know...).

In a way my family has been "drifting" around too. My great-grandfathers had to leave their homes in Ionia and flee to the close by Greek islands. Then later on they all moved to Pireas and myself I've travelled and lived in a few places already around the world since my early 20's.

Unlike you, I'm not planning to continue drifting, even though one can never say never. I love travelling and I'd love to move again but I'm not alone anymore. The wife and kids don't want to hear about my crazy ideas... :)

Guest daman

No there are other reasons there too. For one, as the Turks where expelled from Macedonia the Locals who lived there took all the land vacated by the Turks to themselves. The Greek government on the other hand decided to give that land to the Pontians who lost their lands in Turkey. Needless to say, the Locals who suddenly saw themselves as big time land owners were not amused see lands they intended to take for themselves go to some newcomers from Anatolia.

Later when people immigrated, and not just Pontians, they used to come back from Germany and the US with hart currency and buy up propertie. And a lot of them used also to make a big show of the new wealth they had earned abroad. This caused quite a bit of resentment. And it was in some part even justified.

And make no mistake. I'm neither German nor American nor Greek. I'm only Pontian and very comfortable with it.

ahhh another piece of the puzzle!

1st I want to say there is a difference between ethnicity and nationality. now, I dont know your status here in America but if you're a citizen then your nationality IS American. Your "ethnicity" is "Pontian". so you would be a "Pontian-American" note the hyphen.

what I guess I still dont completely understand is

1) WHY "LAZ". I mean it is only a tiny region of Turkey. Becides IF, this is what you are referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_exchange_between_Greece_and_Turkey then it says it was a religious thing. Like for example and Greek Muslisms there were expelled as well. Not just the Turks. So according to this info some Turks who might have been Christian actually could have stayed in Greece. Now All I read was "greece" But you narrow it down to Macedonia?? Are we talking about the same thing as the link? Because it wsant just the pontians they would have given land to as refugees, that included any of the refugees in the "exchange". Mind you my point in this whole thing is just figuring out the  term LAZAMERICAN and WHY its offensive. Like is it offensive to someone who IS a Lazamerican? And WHY isn't it Laz-American. Why is it 1 word and not hyphenated?

2) are you saying that in this "exchange" the greeks in greece were still calling the greeks that were coming over from Turkey LAZ? even though they were still greek people?

but basically I understand everything you have described. And it all pieces together to me EXCEPT... WHY "Laz"? 

Where did you get that Ionian means "drifter". I've never heard of this before.

I guess you could call me an Ionian/Aeolian too as my family lived in that part of Asia Minor for centuries (as far as I know...).

In a way my family has been "drifting" around too. My great-grandfathers had to leave their homes in Ionia and flee to the close by Greek islands. Then later on they all moved to Pireas and myself I've travelled and lived in a few places already around the world since my early 20's.

Unlike you, I'm not planning to continue drifting, even though one can never say never. I love travelling and I'd love to move again but I'm not alone anymore. The wife and kids don't want to hear about my crazy ideas... :)

From the verb εἶμι -> I come/go (move) -> participle ἰών

Iones -> those who come and go, wanderers, drifters

The kids are growing up. In a few years I can start drifting again.

ahhh another piece of the puzzle!

1st I want to say there is a difference between ethnicity and nationality. now, I dont know your status here in America but if you're a citizen then your nationality IS American. Your "ethnicity" is "Pontian". so you would be a "Pontian-American" note the hyphen.

Nationality means little. It has become a purely administrative matter. Ethnicity is a different thing. I am a Pontian. You could say my kids are Pontian-American since their mother is American but that wouldn't be right either since Pontian is an Ethnic designation and American is a nationality. Maybe Pontian-Latino-Americans? I really don't know.

to 1. and 2.

In the Ottoman empire a member of the Greek Orthodox Church was considered Greek. Regardless of ethnicity. So Greek Orthodox People were expelled from Turkey regardless of them being "Ethnic Greeks". As far as the term Lazoamerikanos being derogatory, thats very specific Greek thing. I don't know if the Turks use it in the same way for Laz-Americans. Could be. Who knows?

Why they would say Laz? Pontians and Laz lived in the same region but because the Pontian Language is an archaic form of Greek if they had called us Pontians they would acknoledge at least the linguistic proximity to Greece. So they chose to call us Laz, since the Laz language is not related to Greek at all, and thus deny all ties between Pontians and Greece.

Guest daman

Nationality means little. It has become a purely administrative matter. Ethnicity is a different thing. I am a Pontian. You could say my kids are Pontian-American since their mother is American but that wouldn't be right either since Pontian is an Ethnic designation and American is a nationality. Maybe Pontian-Latino-Americans? I really don't know.

to 1. and 2.

In the Ottoman empire a member of the Greek Orthodox Church was considered Greek. Regardless of ethnicity. So Greek Orthodox People were expelled from Turkey regardless of them being "Ethnic Greeks". As far as the term Lazoamerikanos being derogatory, thats very specific Greek thing. I don't know if the Turks use it in the same way for Laz-Americans. Could be. Who knows?

Why they would say Laz? Pontians and Laz lived in the same region but because the Pontian Language is an archaic form of Greek if they had called us Pontians they would acknoledge at least the linguistic proximity to Greece. So they chose to call us Laz, since the Laz language is not related to Greek at all, and thus deny all ties between Pontians and Greece.

SO basically you're saying they chose a group from the turkey area they thought had the least amount of ties to greek people? and the "winners" lol were the LAZ?

SO basically you're saying they chose a group from the turkey area they thought had the least amount of ties to greek people? and the "winners" lol were the LAZ?

Yeah. That sums it up.

Guest daman

Not quite sure.

ok... when you google translate the 1st part of that seperate google translate does pick it up as "twit" and that DOES mean stupid but its a word used for ditsy girls hahaha. Thats crazy that those two words only have 1 letter difference written in greek! MAYBE thats another reason the LAZ were chosen becuase of the spelling similarity.

Guest eyoismos

Den yparhi lexeis LAZOAMERIKANOS(autos o exypnos pou ehei valei autin tin lexei prepei na einai ELLHNAS(as exeigisi tin frasi autin BOUD TOU THEOU,ELLA NA BIZANTS

οτι υπαρχει η λέξη γιατί το αμφισβητείς αφου την διαβάζεις; Και ναι , υπάρχουν αρκετοί που την λένε  και το λέω αυτό γιατί το έψαξα λιγάκι, μια και δεν την έχω ξανασυναντήσει και εγω και μου φάνηκε πολύ περίεργο  ... όπως και η έκφραση λαζογερμανός .... το τελευταίο μάλιστα αναφέρεται και στο slang.gr

άσε που ένας πόντιος μας φανέρωσε οτι υπάρχει - ας το πούμε και να λέγεται ... ενα "θύμα" πάντα ξέρει καλύτερα τι έχει αντιμετωπίσει

οπότε λάθος σου

απ' την αλλή ... και φυσικά έλληνας θα την "δημιουργήσει" .... τί νόμιζες  δηλαδή ; κανένας εσκιμώος ; μιλάμε για αυτονόητα εδώ

όπως ακριβώς και κάποιο τζιμάνι τηε καλπικης δεκάρας που έβγαλε το "τουρκόσπορος", και κόλλησε ... όπως και ένα σωρό άλλα να μην το πώ

και σκέπτομαι τώρα .... αλ τσαντίρι ... και λαζόπουλος .... και ποντικά ανέκδοτα ---- χαχαχαχαχαχαχα (χωρίς κακία εδώ, για να μην παραξηγηθούμε)

Προφανως το επιθετο Λαζοπουλος εχει σχεση με ολα αυτα. Μιας κι ο Λαζοπουλος ειναι ποντιος κι η οικογενεια του απο την περιοχη ισως οταν ηρθαν οι γονεις του ή οι παπουδες του στην Ελλαδα να τους εδωασαν αρχικα το ονομα σαν παρατσουκλι και στη συνεχεια να εμεινε σαν επιθετο.