Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest eyoismos

outrageous claim: The Greek islands rightfully belong to Turkey

Guest eyoismos

i wont even bother "discussing" all the bullshit you just uttered. we already have established what you are , so no need to elaborate. and all your previous posts bare witness to that

however .... prove positive that you could argue yourself out of a paper bag

its not about the movie, moron

it about the fact the the bogan teachers down under use it as a historical fact ... teachers for god sake..... teachers as a byproduct of all the shit that greeks down under had to tolerate for so long from those convict mentality descendants

but you would be too stupid to understand that

for you see ... neither greek nor "persian" nor any other nation's teachers went ape and presented such hollywood type monstrosities as legitimate fact

oh wait ... maybe the skops did ...and we all know how they looove to distort and completely fuck up history

and maybe erdogan and his stooges too

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Επισκέπτης

This is getting hilarious!

Dino I have been in the US for more than 15 years and been systematically avoiding Greek-Americans since my first, and last, encounter. I met some for dinner once, at a Greek restaurant in Houston which they had suggested as "Authentic". So we were sitting there, munching on Cacik, Dolma, Kofte and other Ottoman delicacies while we were watching a rather flappy lady perform a belly dance to tsifteteli music.

At some point I did the unthinkable and asked: Which part of this do you consider "Authentic Greek"

My companions were shoked speechless for a moment which made the "Shinanay Yavroum Schinanay Nay" ring even louder in my ears.

That was it for me.

You insist in calling yourself Greek, as most of us Novo-Graecians do, but there is nothing absolutely NOTHING Greek about us.

Our culture is Ottoman.

Our Religion is a Judaic sect.

Our language is a vulgar semi homophone of the Hellenic tongue.

And yet we insist on calling ourselves Greeks with the intention to lay claim on the accomplishments of a culture that is not our own. At the same time we get all upset about those evil Skops. How dare they call themselves Makedonian!

Right?

You see I don't have a problem with someone who identifies himself as a Novo-Graecian. There is no shame in accepting who you are. That opens your eyes for the short commings and flaws of your being and enables you to address those flaws and thus better yourself.

Guest eyoismos

dolma does not mean ottoman except by name alone

otherwise the polish golabki makes them ottoman or .... kaldolmar ,  a swedish national dish makes them ottoman too

same shit different name

besides .....

It is thought the use of grape leaves is a Byzantine influence refined by the Turks, eventually becoming a favourite throughout the Near and Middle East.

ditto for the rest

It is clear that Ottoman cuisine was unified and refined in imperial Istanbul, but its ultimate origins are less clear. It is a matter of mere speculation whether the origins of this imperial culinary legacy are to be traced back to Greek antiquity, the Byzantine heritage, or the ingenuity of the Turkish and Arab nations, not forgetting Phoenician and Jewish traditions; nowadays you may find support for any of these claims in various countries in the Balkans and the Near East.

it is widely accepted that Byzantine cuisine is the common ancestor of both Turkish and Greek cuisines but which has similiarities and differences in both cuisines

as for the "belly dancing" reference ...

Several Greek and Roman sources (way before ottomans where even a twinkle in the eye of history) including Juvenal and Martial describe dancers from Asia Minor and Spain using undulating movements, playing castanets, and sinking to the floor with 'quivering thighs', descriptions that are certainly suggestive of the movements that we today associate with belly dance

then ...

The Tsifteteli (Greek: τσιφτετέλι; Turkish: Çiftetelli), is a rhythm and dance of Anatolia and the Balkans with a rhythmic pattern of 2/4.[1] In Turkish the word means "double stringed", taken from the violin playing style that is practiced in this kind of music. There are suggestions that the dance already existed in ancient Greece, known as the Aristophanic dance Cordax.

so much for ottoman

Επισκέπτης

eyo:

same shit different name

Cacik, Dolma and Kofta...

It looks to me like SAME shit SAME (Ottoman) name.

And you really demonstrate the Novo-Graecian logic by finishing with: So much for Ottoman.

Lets see how long before you claim Sokrates would listen to TSIFTETELION while he was enjoying his TSATSIKION. And Gorgo performed a BELLYDANCION as Leonidas departed for Thermopyle.

Apparently: Its ALL Greek to you.

Guest eyoismos

now you are being totally and utterly ...... "oops... i better not forget what admin warned me about"
:P

case and point ..... cacik has its origins in armenia and persia

or that ...

The word kofta comes from Classical Persian kōfta, meaning "rissole", from the verb kōftan, meaning "to beat" or "to grind", hence grinding the meat of the meatball

now remind me again what cacik is in turkish slang .....

like i said ... so much for ottoman

get it into your head .... the history of a nation or national identity NEVER stays static and certainly never stuck in the past... it progresses, changes, adapts, it influences and is influenced in return ....deal with it

Επισκέπτης

you are just being stubornly dumb.

Are you ever going to admit that Novo-Graecian culture has been strongly influenced by the Ottomans?

Or will you continue to deny a fact that is obvious to everyone BUT the Novo Graecians. I grew up in central Europe and sorry to bring this to you but Central Europeans see Greeks and Turks as the same shit. And they are right. To an unbiased observer the differences are barely noticeble. But that wont stop you from Hellenizing now will it?

Guest eyoismos

i NEVER denied it ... just as i Never denied the influences of the roman empire, or the many other conquerors

but by the same token i refuse to deny that influences went the other way just as much, ... to the point of ...fuck america and its self proclaimed melting pot.... they havent a clue what melting pot is

and if the central europeans have a problem ... its their problem

just as an example

when the greeks talk about not understanding something, they say its chinese to them...correct? .... well ... the Italians say its all turkhish to them, the english say its all greek to them (which in itself is hilarious, considering most of their language is greek, and yes latin, more than often with greek roots), the Germans say its all spanish to them ...and the list goes on

so much for so called unbiased observers

Guest eyoismos

it has been made painfully obvious to me that you consistently confuse nouveau hellenes with this character

ellinaras.jpg

or this

ceb5cebbcebbceb7cebdceaccf81ceb1cf82.jpg

we nouveau hellenes ALWAYS mock those type of "characters"

we know who we are, we know where we came from, and we full well know a whole  lot more ...INCLUDING our own sins, past and present ... at best, or worse, depending on one's outlook, we might not know where we are going ... but that would be the next logical step, as we are still investigating ... but to deny ourselves of an identity that history has formed and transformed us would be criminal, to ourselves and to others

Επισκέπτης

eyo:

i NEVER denied it ...

So you acknowledge the Ottoman influence on Novo-Graecian culture but you don't seem to think Cacik, Dolma, Kofta and Tsifteteli are part of that influence. You posted a whole bunch of nonsense to claim those things as Hellenic after all. Were you just being your usual stupid self when you were doing that or are there other, more prominent, Ottoman influences you could name?

eyo:

when the greeks talk about not understanding something, they say its chinese to them...correct? .... well ... the Italians say its all turkhish to them, the english say its all greek to them *which in itself is hilarious, considering most of their language is greek, and yes latin, more than often with greek roots), the Germans say its all spanish to them ...and the list goes on

so much for so called unbiased observers

That post of yours is in English isn't it? So can you please underline the Greek part of it. You claim most of the english language is Greek so lets test that claim right here.

Are you being unbiased while making that claim or are you just Hellenizing again?

eyo:

we know who we are, we know where we came from, and we full well know know a whole lot more

Really!

And who the hell are we again?

Guest eyoismos

So you acknowledge the Ottoman influence on Novo-Graecian culture but you don't seem to think Cacik, Dolma, Kofta and Tsifteteli are part of that influence.

did i say that it wasnt? i simply stated, or rather implied that is certainly wasnt exclusively ottoman, and that some of those are partly greek partly other nations and all part of the amalgamation of empires ..and yes definitely didnt say exclusively greek either

seriously ... your style of argument for a position, any position for that matter,  reminds me of this

562.jpg

Guest eyoismos

That post of yours is in English isn't it? So can you please underline the Greek part of it. You claim most of the english language is Greek so lets test that claim right here.

taking one lousy paragraph and arbitrary deciding that this is indicative of anything? really?

let me remind you of what english looked like before the normans rattled their cage...and forget romans and all the rest

The Lord's Prayer

(Old English - Anglo-Saxon)

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum;

Si þin nama gehalgod

to becume þin rice

gewurþe ðin willa

on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.

urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg

and forgyf us ure gyltas

swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum

and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge

ac alys us of yfele soþlice

(note: the old english "þ" is pronounced "th")

Translation of Old English Text

Father our thou that art in heavens

be thy name hallowed

come thy kingdom

be-done thy will

on earth as in heavens

our daily bread give us today

and forgive us our sins

as we forgive those-who-have-sinned-against-us

and not lead thou us into temptation

but deliver us from evil. truly

now compare that to true modern english

hell.... why not take it a step further

look at ancient greek ...and how close it is to modern. ...to the point where most modern educated greeks WOULD understand most words here and there, if not whole... and i mean overall - hell .. we even use ancient greek expressions every now and then ...so sue us

Guest eyoismos

classical example of how greek english is

«Kyrie, I eulogize the archons of the Panethnic Numismatic Thesaurus and the Oecumenical Trapeza for the orthodoxy of their axioms methods and policies, although there is an episode of cacophony of the Trapeza with Hellas. With enthusiasm we dialogue and synagonize at the synods of our didymous Organizations in which polymorphous economic ideas and dogmas are analyzed and synthesized. Our critical problems such as the numismatic plethora generate some agony and melancholy. This phenomenon is charateristic of our epoch. But, to my thesis we have the dynamism to program therapeutic practices as a prophylaxis from chaos and catastrophe. In parallel a panethnic unhypocritical economic synergy and harmonization in a democratic climate is basic. I apologize for my eccentric monologue. I emphasize my eucharistia to your Kyrie to the eugenic and generous American Ethnos and to the organizers and protagonists of this Ampitctyony and the gastronomic symposia»....

Xenophon Zolotas

Kyrie, It is Zeus” anathema on our epoch for the dynamism of our economies and the heresy of our economic methods and policies that we should agonize the Scylla of numismatic plethora and the Charybdis of economic anaemia. It is not my idiosyncrasy to be ironic or sarcastic, but my diagnosis would be that politicians are rather cryptoplethorists. Although they emphatically stigmatize numismatic plethora, they energize it through their tactics and practices. Our policies have to be based more on economic and less on political criteria. Our gnomon has to be a metron between political, strategic and philanthropic scopes. Political magic has always been anti-economic. In an epoch characterized by monopolies, oligopolies, monophonies, monopolistic antagonism and polymorphous inelasticities, our policies have to be more orthological. But this should not be metamorphosed into plethorophobia, which is endemic among academic economists. Numismatic symmetry should not hyper-antagonize economic acme. A greater harmonization between the practices of the economic and numismatic archons is basic. Parallel to this, we have to synchronize and harmonize more and more our economic and numismatic policies panethnically. These scopes are more practicable now, when the prognostics of the political and economic barometer are halcyonic. The history of our didymus organizations in this sphere has been didactic and their gnostic practices will always be a tonic to the polyonymous and idiomorphous ethnical economies. The genesis of the programmed organization will dynamize these policies. Therefore, I sympathize, although not without criticism on one or two themes, with the apostles and the hierarchy of our organs in their zeal to program orthodox economic and numismatic policies, although I have some logomachy with them. I apologize for having tyrannized you with my Hellenic phraseology. In my epilogue, I emphasize my eulogy to the philoxenous autochthons of this cosmopolitan metropolis and my encomium to you, Kyrie, and the stenographers....

Xenophon Zolotas

every singly bloody word in the oxford dictionary by the way
:P

Guest eyoismos

as opposed to how greek is greek

Ιπποκρατειος ορκος

Ο όρκος του ιατρού Ιπποκράτη
Αρχαίο Ελληνικό πρωτότυπο Κείμενο Νεο-Ελληνική Μετάφραση

Ὄμνυμι Ἀπόλλωνα ἰητρὸν καὶ Ἀσκληπιὸν καὶ Ὑγείαν καὶ Πανάκειαν καὶ θεοὺς πάντας τε καὶ πάσας τε καὶ πάσας ἴστορας ποιεύμενος, ἐπιτελέα κατὰ δύναμιν καὶ κρίσιν ἐμὴν ὃρκον τόνδε καὶ συγγραφὴν τήνδε· ἡγήσεσθαι μὲν τὸν διδάξαντά με τὴν τέχνην ταύτην ἴσα γενέτῃσιν ἐμοῑς, καὶ βίου κοινώσεσθαι, και χρεῶν χρηΐζοντιμετάδοσιν ποιήσεσθαι, καὶ γένος τὸ ἐξ αὐτοῡ ἀδελφοῑς ἴσον ἐπικρινεῑν ἄρρεσι, καὶ διδάξειν τὴν τέχνην ταύτην, ἤν χρηΐζωσι μανθάνειν, ἄνευ μισθοῡ και συγγραφῆς, παραγγελίης τε καὶ ἀκροήσιος καὶ τῆς λοίπης ἁπασης μαθήσιος μετάδοσιν ποιήσεσθαι υἱοῑς τε ἐμοῑς καὶ τοῑς τοῡ ἐμὲ διδαξάσαντος, καὶ μαθητῇσι συγγεγραμμένοις τε καὶ ὠρκισμένοις νόμῳ ἰητρικῷ ἅλλῳ δὲ οὐδενί· διαιτἡμασί τε χρήσομαι ἐπ’ ὠφελείῃ καμνόντων κατὰ δύναμιν καὶ κρίσιν ἐμήν, ἐπὶ δηλήσει δὲ καὶ ἀδικίῃ εἴρξειν· οὐ δώσω δὲ ούδὲ φάρμακον ούδενὶ αἰτηθεὶς θανάσιμον οὐδὲ ὑφηγήσομαι συμβουλίην τοιήνδε· ὀμοίως δὲ οὐδὲ γυναικὶ πεσσὸν φθόριον δώσω ἁγνῶς δὲ καὶ ὁσίως διατηρήσω βίον τὸν ἐμὸν καὶ τέχνην τῆν ἐμῆν· οὐ τεμέω δὲ οὐδὲ μὴν λιθιῶντας, ἐκχωρῆσω δὲ ἐργάτῃσιν ἀνδράσι πρἡξιος τῆσδε, ἐς οἰκίας δὲ ὁκόσας ἂν ἐσίω, ἐσελεύσομαι ἐπ΄ ὠφελείῃ καμνόντων, ἐκτὸς ἐὼν πάσης ἁδικίης ἑκουσίης καὶ φθορίης, τῆς τε ἂλλης καὶ ἀφροδισίων ἒργων ἐλευθέρων τε καὶ ανδρῴων, ἐλευθέρων τε καὶ δούλων· ἂ δ’ ἂν ἐν θεραπείῃ ἢ ἀκούσω, ἢ καὶ ἂνευ θεραπείης κατὰ βίον ἀνθρώπων, ἂ μὴ χρήποτε ἐκλαλεἲσθαι ἒξω, σιγήσομαι· ἂρρητα ἡγεύμενος εἷναι τὰ τοιαῦτα· ὃρκον μὲν οὗν μοι τόνδε ἐπιτελέα ποιέοντι, καὶ μὴ συγχέοντι, εἴη ἐπαύρασθαι καὶ βίου καὶ τέχνης δοξαζομένῳ παρὰ πᾱσιν ἀνθρώποις ἐς τὸν αἰεὶ χρόνον· παραβαίνοντι δὲ καὶ ἐπιορκέοντι τἀναντία τούτων.

Ορκίζομαι στον θεό Απόλλωνα τον ιατρό και στον Ασκληπιό και στην Υγεία και στην Πανάκεια και επικαλούμενος τη μαρτυρία όλων των θεών και των θεαινών ότι θα εκτελέσω κατά τη δύναμη και την κρίση μου τον όρκο αυτόν και τη συμφωνία αυτή. Να θεωρώ τον διδάσκαλό μου της ιατρικής τέχνης ίσο με τους γονείς μου και κοινωνό του βίου μου. Και όταν χρειάζεται χρήματα να μοιράζομαι μαζί του τα δικά μου. Να θεωρώ την οικογένειά του αδέλφια μου και να τους διδάσκω αυτή την τέχνη αν θέλουν να τη μάθουν, χωρίς δίδακτρα ή άλλη συμφωνία. Να μεταδίδω τους κανόνες ηθικής, την προφορική διδασκαλία και όλες τις άλλες ιατρικές γνώσεις στους γιούς μου, στους γιούς του δασκάλου μου και στους εγγεγραμμένους μαθητές που πήραν τον ιατρικό όρκο, αλλά σε κανέναν άλλο. Θα χρησιμοποιήσω τη θεραπεία για να βοηθήσω τους ασθενείς κατά τη δύναμη και την κρίση μου, αλλά ποτέ για να βλάψω ή να αδικήσω. Ούτε θα δίνω θανατηφόρο φάρμακο σε κάποιον που θα μου το ζητήσει, ούτε θα του κάνω μια τέτοια υπόδειξη. Παρομοίως, δεν θα εμπιστευθώ σε έγκυο γυναίκα μέσο που προκαλεί έκτρωση. Θα διατηρώ αγνή και άσπιλη και τη ζωή και την τέχνη μου. Δεν θα χρησιμοποιώ νυστέρι ούτε σε αυτούς που πάσχουν από λυθίαση, αλλά θα παραχωρώ την εργασία αυτή στους ειδικούς της τέχνης. Σε όσα σπίτια πηγαίνω, θα μπαίνω για να βοηθήσω τους ασθενείς και θα απέχω από οποιανδήποτε εσκεμμένη βλάβη και φθορά, και ιδίως από γενετήσιες πράξεις με άνδρες και γυναίκες, ελεύθερους και δούλους. Και όσα τυχόν βλέπω ή ακούω κατά τη διάρκεια της θεραπείας ή και πέρα από τις επαγγελματικές μου ασχολίες στην καθημερινή μου ζωή, αυτά που δεν πρέπει να μαθευτούν παραέξω δεν θα τα κοινοποιώ, θεωρώντας τα θέματα αυτά μυστικά. Αν τηρώ τον όρκο αυτό και δεν τον παραβώ, ας χαίρω πάντοτε υπολήψεως ανάμεσα στους ανθρώπους για τη ζωή και για την τέχνη μου. Αν όμως τον παραβώ και επιορκήσω, ας πάθω τα αντίθετα.

Επισκέπτης

eyo:

look at ancient greek ...and how close it is to modern. ...to the point where most modern educated greeks WOULD understand most words here and there, if not whole... and i mean overall - hell .. we even use ancient greek expressions every now and then ...so sue us

Really? Then I guess you get the general meaning of this fragment:

Τὴν δὴ παρφάμεναι κοῦραι μαλακοῖσι λόγοισιν.

πεῖσαν ἐπιφραδέως, ὥς σφιν βαλανωτὸν ὀχῆα

ἀπτερέως ὤσειε πυλέων ἄπο· ταὶ δὲ θυρέτρων

χάσμ' ἀχανὲς ποίησαν ἀναπτάμεναι πολυχάλκους

ἄξονας ἐν σύριγξιν ἀμοιϐαδὸν εἰλίξασαι

Can you gimme the gist of it without the help of Dr. Google?

And oh my! You had to let your inner Ellinaras out. That stupid text of nitwit Zolotas that doesn't make sense even in Greek. Never mind English. I'm laughing my ass off.

Επισκέπτης

eyo:

Would this really change who I am today if I'd ever find out that there's Turkish or Italian or German or whatever else genes in me?Not really. I'd still consider myself Greek, and for all it's worth, all people I know would still see me as a Greek.

I'm directly connected to the ancient Greeks culturally and I'm also directly connected to them linguistically as I'm speaking their language. On top of it I was born and raised in their land, so I also share with them the love and pride of living in that area of the world which they called home.

Who or what you are doesn't matter a bit. What matters is the fact that you don't accept who you are and claim to be something you are not. The appelation HELLENE has been taken long time ago. It is used to denote people who lived in the same region we were born. Those people had acertain Language, Religion, Culture and Philosophy that has nothing to do with us. So why do you insist in claiming their culture as your own? Are you ashamed of who you are so that you have to pretend being someone else.

You sure recognize the idiocy of the expression "Muslim Jew". The expression Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist Hellene is just as Idiotic. And if you think you speak HELLENIC than tell me how much of the text I posted for eyo you understand.

So here is the question: Why are you guys getting all upset with the Macedonians while you are doing exactly the same?

The rape of Berlin

...What was the scale of the rapes? The most often quoted number is a staggering 100,000 women in Berlin and two million on German territory. That figure - hotly debated - was extrapolated from scant surviving medical records...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32529679

So then if the Germans repeatedly raped the Russian women during WWII and then the Russians did the same when they took over Germany does this make today's Germans Russians, and the Russians Germans?

So when we're pissed with the Germans we're really pissed with the Russians, and when we befriend the Russians we really befriend the Germans? Putin may in fact be German, and Merkel may be Russian!

I'm confused... :D

What a wonderfully complicated world...

Guest PatrickT

So then if the Germans repeatedly raped the Russian women during WWII and then the Russians did the same when they took over Germany does this make today's Germans Russians, and the Russians Germans?

So when we're pissed with the Germans we're really pissed with the Russians, and when we befriend the Russians we really befriend the Germans? Putin may in fact be German, and Merkel may be Russian!

I'm confused... :D

What a wonderfully complicated world...

No, its a quite easy world. If you dig deep into the forest you can find bones of new borns in many areas around Berlin. The mentality of the 50th made it practical impossible for any german women to raise such a child. There were even nurses who "solved" such things for a bribe. There exists even a book about this topic, where some women tell about this. Some even say they did throw such a baby into the central heating oven of the block to get rid of it.

No, its a quite easy world. If you dig deep into the forest you can find bones of new borns in many areas around Berlin. The mentality of the 50th made it practical impossible for any german women to raise such a child. There were even nurses who "solved" such things for a bribe. There exists even a book about this topic, where some women tell about this. Some even say they did throw such a baby into the central heating oven of the block to get rid of it.

Patrick your lack of humanity is concerning

Guest eyoismos

And oh my! You had to let your inner Ellinaras out. That stupid text of nitwit Zolotas that doesn't make sense even in Greek. Never mind English

its painfully obvious then that your english sucks and your greek blows

just taking the first quote, and putting it through the pathetic and utterly hopeless google translate (only because i am too lazy to bother giving a proper translation), makes perfect sense in greek

«Κύριοι, Ευλογώ τους άρχοντες του Διεθνούς Νομισματικού Θησαυρού και της Οικουμενικής Τράπεζας για την ορθοδοξία των αξιωμάτων μεθόδους και τις πολιτικές τους, αν και υπάρχει ένα επεισόδιο κακοφωνίας της Τράπεζας με την Ελλάδα. Με τον ενθουσιασμό μας διάλογο και συναγωνιζόμαστε στις συνόδους των διδύμων Οργανισμών των οποίων τις πολύμορφες οικονομικές ιδέες και δόγματα αναλύουμε και συνθέτουμε. Τα κρίσιμα προβλήματά μας, όπως ο νομισματικός πληθώρα παράγουν κάποια αγωνία και μελαγχολία. Αυτό το φαινόμενο είναι charateristic της εποχής μας. Αλλά, η θέση μου είναι ότι έχουμε τον δυναμισμό να προγραμματίσουμε θεραπευτικές πρακτικές σαν μέτρο προφύλαξης από το χάος και την καταστροφή. Παράλληλα ένα panethnic ανυπόκριτη οικονομική συνεργασία και εναρμόνιση σε ένα δημοκρατικό κλίμα είναι βασική. Ζητώ συγγνώμη για την εκκεντρική μονόλογο μου. Τονίζω τις ευχαριστίες μου προς Kyrie σας στο ευγενικό και γενναιόδωρο Αμερικανικό Έθνος και προς τους οργανωτές και τους πρωταγωνιστές αυτής της Ampitctyony και των γαστρονομικών συμποσίων ».

and remember above all else ... each and every word in that quote by that "nitwit Zolotas" is in the oxford dictionary and very much accurate in its grammar :)

Guest PatrickT

Patrick your lack of humanity is concerning

are you kidding me? I did not even state my own opinion. I stated a simple fact.

And do you honestly judge over a women who does decide that she does not want to have a rape child? Thats a decission a women must make and live with and no male has the right to judge over this.

Do you have the slightest idea how much a women would be stigmatized in those times? So before you throw mud you should start to think and keep your mouth shut.

Guest eyoismos

Really? Then I guess you get the general meaning of this fragment:

Τὴν δὴ παρφάμεναι κοῦραι μαλακοῖσι λόγοισιν.

πεῖσαν ἐπιφραδέως, ὥς σφιν βαλανωτὸν ὀχῆα

ἀπτερέως ὤσειε πυλέων ἄπο· ταὶ δὲ θυρέτρων

χάσμ' ἀχανὲς ποίησαν ἀναπτάμεναι πολυχάλκους

ἄξονας ἐν σύριγξιν ἀμοιϐαδὸν εἰλίξασαι

Can you gimme the gist of it without the help of Dr. Google?

ok ... i will give it a go, as i have a few moments to spare

ancient greek poem right?  ( i assume so , because it has some kind of "beat" or form or something like that, )

always difficult because poems by nature, irrespective of language, dont normally follow the flow of normal "text"

1st line

"κούραι"  ...first thing that pops into my mind "επικουρικός" meaning subsidiary, or providing help or support, or something to that effect...but the word is actually a synthesis of "επι-" + "κούρος" ... and then i remember the statues representing the young warriors of old... so i would naturally assume "¨κούρος" in the poem (?) refers to youth

"μαλακοίσι" ... first reaction "μαλακία" ....immediate gut react .... dont be a wanker...ancient greek poets by enlarge whos works withstood the ides of time didnt exactly brandish gutter language strait out of some "teke" wasted on high octane crack.... first logical reaction.... "μαλακός" meaning soft

"λογοισιν" ... λόγος ... word, speech, speak

so far then something about youth and softly speaking, mabe even calmly speaking

"παρφάμεναι" ...real difficult one ... because i cant think of any word from the top of my head  from the modern language....but greek being that it is .... break it down ..."παρά-" besides, accompanied ...... " φαμεναι" .... hmmmm? for some reason i thin of the word φήμη.... fame, reputation .... hmmmm? pt it together ... .with fame or reputation .... i would say maybe persuade? convince? advise ? anyway, something like that

2nd line

"πείσαν" ...immediately i think persuade ... kind fits with the previous derivative i came up with...after all ...its a poem

"eπιφραδέως" ... 1st reaction due to uncertainly, break it down ... "επί-" + "φραδέως" 1st one obviously = with, onto, etc ...2nd ...? ... first and gut reaction ... something to do with "φραση", ...phrase, express word...or thereabouts .. so i would say overall ...with thought or foresight

fuck it ... this is taking fr to long.... but ultimately ... with a little bit of "elbow grease", logic, and general knowledge of modern greek.... and if one takes the "whole" ancient writing, thus accumulating towards lets call it a form of distillation via a sequence of singular rejections, or acceptances, eventually we would zero in towards the objective of a proper translation

now i dare any modern educated brit to do the same with his own language of 10th-11th century, let alone before the B.C. cut off date, for i say they cant

and yet nobody as the audacity to deny his herritage of his past

as opposed to some bright sparks who refuse to acknowledge the same about the greeks and their strong ties to their past

makes you wonder what their motives are

:)

Guest eyoismos

So here is the question: Why are you guys getting all upset with the Macedonians while you are doing exactly the same?

seriously? US guys? are we still even talking about those who actually think that the 3rd language on the rosetta stone was bulgarian... oops i mean "macedonian" ,,,and bare an uncanny resemblance to modern "skop"....and yet bulgarians undertand them perfectly. what the fuck next? that the bulgarians claim their macedonian herritage too? at the very leastthose guess fully well recognize and embrace their slavic origins and fully well know "they" arrived multiple centuries later

or that mother teressa was a "macedonian" whereby everybody knows perfectly well that she is of ethinc albanian extraction... its like the turks would claim her as their own, just because at the time of her birth it was all port of the ottoman empire.

but then many turks reckon st nick, of greek heritage from mira if i am not mistaken, was a turk ...even when at the time it was byzantine era and ottomans where nowhere near there... mind you ... it makes sense when erdogan is convinced that the Olympic games should come home to turkey, because some mountain there bares the name of olympos

some people are just whackjobs ... period

Guest PatrickT

seriously? US guys? are we still even talking about those who actually think that the 3rd language on the rosetta stone was bulgarian... oops i mean "macedonian" ,,,and bare an uncanny resemblance to modern "skop"....and yet bulgarians undertand them perfectly

or that mother teressa was a "macedonian" whereby everybody knows perfectly well that she is of ethinc albanian extraction... its like the turks would claim her as their own, just because at the time of her birth it was all port of the ottoman empire.

but then many turks reckon st nick, of greek heritage from mira if i am not mistaken, was a turk ...even when at the time it was byzantine era and ottomans where nowhere near there... mind you ... it makes sense when erdogan is convinced that the olypmic games should come home to turkey, because some mountain there bares the name of olympos

some people are just whackjobs ... period

Why do turks look exactly like greeks? I saw no difference in the people in katakolon (greece) and istanbul. The only difference was their religion.

Guest eyoismos

indeed ...that is the question

at least you have the decency to state the obvious ....that western turks do indeed look like greeks

as opposed so many of questionable repute that dare to talk about greeks look like turks

the answer is quite simple .... look at history for answers

but while you are here ..and talk about heritage and links to he past, and all that. i would pose a question to you, because i havent a clue, and never bothered to investigate

how close is modern german to lets call it ancient german of maybe 1st millenium or even before that?

only if you know of course ... most people of the general variety ,throughout europe, dont get all shall we call it preoccupied or even interested with such linguistic matters

of course i am not referring to germanic languages, for example english and dutch, to name but two, but german ...and again because i dont know, i am thinking vandals and gothic and whatnot

Why do turks look exactly like greeks? I saw no difference in the people in katakolon (greece) and istanbul. The only difference was their religion.

I don't see your point.

In your photo you look more like a Turk and less like what most people think a German should look like. Does this make you a Turk (I guess maybe you do have Turk blood in you, I don't know...).

Again, the whole discussion of a "pure" race of people is just laughable. There's no such thing. We all have the seeds of several different cultures and "races" planted in us. Even the Mongols were in Europe raping for decades in the 13th-14th centuries. Some of us may very well carry Mongol genes too. Does this makes us part Mongols?

Guest eyoismos

hahaha - he does a bit , doesnt he ? hell.... come to think of it ... i know a couple of greeks that look a bit like him too

i appreciate the the humor and attempted satire admin, but i think we generally understand what we all are talking about

and you are absolutely right .... everybody's gene pool is pretty messed up in some form or another, but .... general characteristics do somehow "come through"

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed