Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
admin

UK voted in favour of BREXIT, but young people voted in favour of staying within the EU

According to polling data from YouGov, 75% of 18- to 24-year-olds voted to remain in the European Union. On Friday, the UK voted to leave, with 52% of the overall vote.

How does it feel to be one of that 75%?

When we tweeted a callout asking young readers for their responses, rather than the 20 or so we expected, we received more than 200 emails in half an hour. While a handful said they were pleased with the outcome, reading through them a picture develops of a generation angry about the direction the UK has taken.

This reaction was not limited to young people of voting age – we received responses from 16- and 17-year-olds who did not have the chance to have their say in this momentous decision.

Here’s a selection of their responses:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/meet-the-75-young-people-who-voted-to-remain-in-eu

Great article at the Guardian.

At least there's hope for the UK since its youth in huge numbers see themselves as European citizens and they want to be part of a united Europe. They will eventually join EU again when the xenophobic elders pass away.

In Greece it's the opposite. The young people want to see Greece out of Europe. This is a scary thought for Greece's future.

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Guest eyoismos

interpretations all in the eyes of the beholder

the brit youth want to go freely to the south to get pissed out of their brackets as they so often do, and dont want visas an all the other shite to deal with :P

but seriously ... interpretation is all where its at

from the general brit public, brit government, brit money weavers, brit strategists . etc etc etc

and that is just from the brits .... apart from brits also means scotland hot potato

then there is the rest of europe

personally i ALSO see it a genuie slap in the face to germany and their domination  inspirations of "germnay first, europe is a minor issue" kind thing that thy have been aiming for, or so it seems

then their is the invasion of illegals and massive refugee influxes ... HUGE hot potato. with thew brexit, the uk is effectively saying ...F.U. we dont want the EU demanding what we do with them

Guest HappyAsHellas

Sadly the debate in Britain got the immigration issue being the main topic which in reality it wasn't. Here in Scotland the government is now wanting another independence referendum because 75% of the population voted to remain in Europe. The immigration issue is a non starter as any negotiations with the EU will have them demanding free movement of people as imperative and binding to any trade agreements. Brexit people can't drive down immigrant numbers so who knows what will happen. As for the youth being up in arms..........bizarre considering the proportion of them that actually vote in normal elections.

Επισκέπτης

funny story.

Was it not the Pro-EU crowd that voted for Scotland to remain in the UK?

Now, after the UK has voted to leave the EU the same folks demand Scotland leave the UK!

If the EU citizens who reside in Scotland were excluded from the Scotisch independence

referendum Scotland would have left the UK. Now they are finding themselves outside the EU as part of the UK.

Talking about shooting yourself in the foot!

Anyhow, my respect for the English has been restored. This is a great day for England and the whole civilized world.

Lets hope the Americans show greatness as well and vote Trump for prez. Those are exciting times to live in.

Guest HappyAsHellas

It's a strange one - some people who voted for Scotland to remain in the UK are saying they did it because they wanted Scotland to be part of a progressive thinking union within the EU. Now the UK has voted out they are wanting indyref2 so they can vote for something they just voted against.  They will also change their minds again if Scotland gets independence and then takes the Euro as currency. Confused - you bet your ass I am.

Guest eyoismos

mean time, word has it , that germany is pooping itself, well, at least according to one German publication,

that their is a suspicion that a couple of other countries want to book out, so to speak

and the suspects are: France, Austria, Finland, Holland and Hungary

but on the other hand, 6 ministers of foreign affairs, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg

are bitching like whores on crack, at the uk, for pulling such a move

which only suggest one thing

europe doesnt know her arse from her elbow of what she wants and where she is heading

which is exactly one of the reasons the uk , at least according to the voters, basically decided to say fuck you too

and yet so many want irish passports?

go figure

no wonder there is such a strong undercurrent of serious euroskepticism . perhaps because everybody has pretty much had it up to there, and beyond, with the bureaucrats and technocrats  and the pseudo-intellectuals who like to play god and live in ivory towers, all which lead to the euro crisis in the first place, economic or otherwise

Guest eyoismos

you know what is really fucking hilarious?

(and i am translating from a report from the greek media, from an article from a french newspaper, liberation)

With the British withdrawal English is no longer the official language of any country and therefore in accordance with Regulation I-58 can not be used on the working of the EU institutions, or European texts drafted in this language!

Therefore, whether Regulation I-58 should not be revised to master another language! Here we report that some countries have indicated as a second language in English, like Malta and Ireland. However both have English as a second language and thus can not be used.

the whole world speaks english for all their economic and political whatever, and their stupid regulation I-58 is going to stop usig the language? seriously? talk about total stupidity of the eurocrats

and what the fuck language do the irish  actually speak from day to day, anyway? best i know irish is spoken only by a minority

no wonder the eu is fucked up. they cant even be honest with themselves, ... why should anybody actually take what the big boy paper pushers "guidance" and "governess" seriously

Επισκέπτης

It's a strange one - some people who voted for Scotland to remain in the UK are saying they did it because they wanted Scotland to be part of a progressive thinking union within the EU. Now the UK has voted out they are wanting indyref2 so they can vote for something they just voted against.  They will also change their minds again if Scotland gets independence and then takes the Euro as currency. Confused - you bet your ass I am.

Why are you confused?

The outcome of the brexit referendum only demonstrates something that you should have known already.

If a socioeconomic collective with a population of 10 enters a political union with an entity that has a population of 90 then the say of the smaler entity in the new construct amounts to 10%. If you enter into a union with a population of 990 then your say is only 1%.

And that's the ideal case where decisions are based purely on the majority of the popular vote and where the "WE" factor remains strong (aka low diversity).

The Scots threw their lot in with England and Wales and are now faced with a collective decision they may not be willing to tolerate.

The ones who are asking for an independence so that they can throw themselves into the EU are fools who think that the collective decisions of the EU will always be in their best interest. So what happens if Scotland becomes independent and then joins the EU and even the EURO? Will the Scots be happy with all "Decrees" from Brussels?

An EU that becomes more and more centralized is not in the best interest of Europe's regions. Especialy the peripheral ones. An EU that has an aversion to referendums and prefers her subjects to accept orders from the comision without fail has nothing to do with democracy.

To abandon the Nation state in favor of a semi-imperial construct such as the EU is not the way to go. The way to go is independence. From the EU and the UK. Let the people of each region in Europe decide what's best for them.

Επισκέπτης

now things are really .....

well.... according to some reports, mario renzi wants to give brits studying in Italy italian citizenship

the stupid games these f'ing politicians play

There are people from North and South America, Asia, Africa studying in Italy. Why is Renzi not ofering them Italian citizenship?

Will the English be rquired to have one to study in Italy? And what about english Tourists? Will he require them to get Italian citizenship to visit?

The Swiss and the Norwegians can come , go or stay in Italy and every EU country as they please but there are some in Germany who call for visa requirements for the English!

Interestingly enough, those are the same people who would welcome 1 mil Syrians with open arms, at a cost of 50 Bil. to the German taxpayer. They now wish to "Punish" the Brits, who actually bring money into Germany, with travel restrictions?

And lets not forget Martin Schultz who "Demands" the UK delivers the "Divorce Petition" by Tuesday!

What does he think that his bitch tantrum is gonna do? Impress the ones who voted Brexit? They were not impressed by the inceneration of Coventry a few decades ago I doubt they will submit to Schultz and his bitching. But it does of course show the real face of the EU to those who voted Bremain. I guess the best argument against the EU is the EU.

Guest HappyAsHellas

The average British holiday consists of spending £1300, and so many go on holiday that collectively they spend £1 billion in airports alone instead of bringing foreign currency home. Any politician trying to hinder this kind of spending will get a pretty swift rocket up his backside from his constituents I'd imagine. On the other side of the coin will we stop buying VW or BMW cars? - never. Business will go on pretty much as usual I think. As for Scotland, I voted for independence but would reconsider this if it means we get shackled with the EU which I voted to leave. I realise I'm in the minority with this one but as far as I'm concerned the further away from The EU with it's unelected presidents, commissions, eurogroup and christ knows what else the better. The only down side I can see so far is that Donald Trump thought we did the right thing - I have a sort of queasy, dirty feeling about agreeing with that clown on anything. Ah well........

Επισκέπτης

The average British holiday consists of spending £1300, and so many go on holiday that collectively they spend £1 billion in airports alone instead of bringing foreign currency home. Any politician trying to hinder this kind of spending will get a pretty swift rocket up his backside from his constituents I'd imagine. On the other side of the coin will we stop buying VW or BMW cars? - never. Business will go on pretty much as usual I think. As for Scotland, I voted for independence but would reconsider this if it means we get shackled with the EU which I voted to leave. I realise I'm in the minority with this one but as far as I'm concerned the further away from The EU with it's unelected presidents, commissions, eurogroup and christ knows what else the better. The only down side I can see so far is that Donald Trump thought we did the right thing - I have a sort of queasy, dirty feeling about agreeing with that clown on anything. Ah well........

Trump is a narcicistic gasbag. I love him though cause he embodies the failure of the american political system like no other.

A thought provoking article in the Guardian today about democracy and the voting system in modern democracies. Worth a read.

Why elections are bad for democracy
Our voting system worked well for decades, but now it is broken. There is a better way to give voice to the people

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/why-elections-are-bad-for-democracy

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed