Hellenism.Net

Sign in to follow this  
palikari

Who's going to church this (Holy) Week?

Guest eyoismos

we are about 400 people in lusaka, including kids. maybe 500 families altogether in zambia, and believe it or not, quire a few orthodox chruches, including a couple of lets call them private ones, aka some rich guys have idiosyncrasies i guess. Main churches for the greeks are basically 2, one in in Lusaka, and one in Kitwe. there is also a mission church in lusaka. i am sure there are more, but i dont know enough of what the church gets up to, to be honest

Guest eyoismos

in the past way way more, especially in what is called the copperbelt, where the copper mines are. nowdays  the copperbelt his whittled down completely

having said that , the community is slowly growing, especially since the crisis hit greece. there are quite a few f.o.b.'s that hav rocked up lately, more than i can count to be sure.

but yes, our community is quite tiny, relatively speaking, and an aweful lot have hooked up wit non-greeks, for various reasons. but the greek school is still going strong, in one form or another

Guest eyoismos

same as everywhere else in the world ....

exhibitionism high on crack and .... "lets see who the biggest attention whore is here?"

and needless to say .... because of this .... "two face hypocrisy" gone wild is first on the agenda

at least for most of those outside the church and who never enter at any point

:D

Guest eyoismos

i read somewhere that the oldest orthodox church in australia went up in flames :(

Guest eyoismos

obviously you are one of faithful that were not "afraid" of entering the church

Guest eyoismos

Εύλογα ερωτηματικά εγείρει η καταστροφή τεσσάρων ορθόδοξων εκκλησιών, οι οποίες κάηκαν ανήμερα της Ανάστασης του Κυρίου.

Συγκεκριμένα, η Σερβική Ορθόδοξη Μητρόπολη του Αγίου Σάββα στο Μανχάταν στην Νέα Υόρκη, καταστράφηκε ολοσχερώς από πυρκαγιά με τα αίτια του περιστατικού παραμένουν ακόμα άγνωστα.

Επιπλέον στις φλόγες τυλίχτηκε η Μονή Βαλαάμ στην ρωσική περιοχή της Καρελίας. Η φωτιά κατέκαψε έκταση 8.600 τετραγωνικά μέτρα .

Πυρκαγιά ξέσπασε και στο εσωτερικό της Ελληνορθόδοξης Εκκλησίας στη Μελβούρνη της Αυστραλίας. Η εκκλησία χρονολογείται από το 1900, περίοδο άφιξης των Ελλήνων. Οι φλόγες έκαψαν την στέγη και πολλές Άγιες εικόνες.

Τέλος μια σκοπιανή Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία στο Σύδνεϋ κάηκε ολοσχερώς.

Η χρονική περίοδος των πυρκαγιών και το ανεξακρίβωτο των αιτιών προβληματίζει.

Δημοσιεύτηκε στις 04 Μαίου 2016

what makes it even more suspicious, apparently its not the first time

i remember some time back a greek church in auusie was set ablaze....maybe its the same one..... (and at one point one of the suspects where the skops down under)

then there is the case of the greek church in montreal last year which also was engulfed in flames

big money in the basket? careless candles that time of the year? conspiracy theory ?

hmmmmmm?

When you have hundreds of morons holding a lit candle inside a church it's a true easter miracle that we don't see more churches burnt down to the ground  :D

:angry:

Guest PatrickT

I´m atheist and so is my family. I´m not baptized and my parents weren´t baptized either. Never visited a church in my life beside for educational reasons. 

From what I remember you had said that your family is from the eastern part of Germany, so it's pretty typical for Germans raised under the communist regime of Eastern Germany to grow up without any religion. If I remember correctly religion was more or less "outlawed" by the communists in Germany, Russia and other eastern European countries, only to come back with a vengeance after the fall of communism. 

Totalitarianism vs. religion. A lose lose situation for the people.

Guest PatrickT

From what I remember you had said that your family is from the eastern part of Germany, so it's pretty typical for Germans raised under the communist regime of Eastern Germany to grow up without any religion. If I remember correctly religion was more or less "outlawed" by the communists in Germany, Russia and other eastern European countries, only to come back with a vengeance after the fall of communism. 

Totalitarianism vs. religion. A lose lose situation for the people.

Religion never came back to eastern germany. Eastern germany is the most atheist region in the entire world

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2012/sep/22/atheism-east-germany-godless-place

People here see religion as laughable fairy tales and the religious people as brainwashed sick people under mass paranoia. Infact surveys were unable to find a single eastern german under 28 years old who believes in god.

Thats one of the few positive things that the GDR had. This posionous believes in an illusion was wiped out completly. 

Guest eyoismos

‘I am not an atheist, and I don’t think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn’t know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations.’

'Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source. They are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who - in their grudge against the traditional "opium for the people" - cannot bear the music of the spheres. The Wonder of nature does not becomes smaller because one cannot measure it by the standards of human moral and human aims.'

“A legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist. Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind.”

all quotes by albert einstein

Ah that poor Albert, he's been quoted extensively for all the wrong reasons...Can you please show where these quotes you posted above came from? Can you list the book, newspaper interview, magazine article or wherever dear uncle Albert specifically said these things?

On the other hand he has certainly said a lot and written extensively against religion and he's been pretty clear that he's not someone who you'd consider a "religious" or "spiritual" person in the way most people come to understand these terms in our day and age.

The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

-- Albert Einstein, in a letter responding to philosopher Eric Gutkind, who had sent him a copy of his book Choose Life: The Biblical Call to Revolt; quoted from James Randerson, "Childish Superstition: Einstein's Letter Makes View of Religion Relatively Clear: Scientist's Reply to Sell for up to £8,000, and Stoke Debate over His Beliefs" The Guardian, (13 May 2008)

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.

-- Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955, quoted from James A Haught, "Breaking the Last Taboo" (1996)

I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.

-- Albert Einstein, 1954, from Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

-- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

-- Albert Einstein, 1954, from Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

I've read/studied uncle Albert's body of work (including interviews etc.) extensively. If you read it too - instead of just quoting him out of context - it's going to be pretty clear to you too that uncle Albert was NOT a religious person by any means. Most scientists are not religious, very few are for their own personal reasons, but a huge huge percentage of them - are not religious. How could they be?

Guest eyoismos

i will restrict myself to giving you details of my first quote, about him not being an atheist

max jammer - einstein and religion page 48 (at least in my copy)

i would further like to add

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

guess you would make einstein angry then :P

one last thing ... einstein said he doesnt believe in a personal god, yet some interpet this as "personal god", while others interpret this as "personal god"

no wonder the dude got angry

now i am no genius, mot even by a long shot, but in my simple mind i see this as "personal god".

do i agree with him? lets just say that this would be diving into the infinite world of relativity

religion is a personal thing ....as your last quote adequately demonstrates

which bring back to my last quote above

“A legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist. Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind.”

and i would like to add when he stuck it to the "narrow minded" fanatic scientists

"God does not play dice" Albert Einstein once said, expressing his contempt for the notion that the universe is governed by probability