Hellenism.Net

Sign in to follow this  
Guest stroumfaki

Would you move to Greece?

Guest FriendofGreece

How about you, Stroumfaki, would you move to Greece, if you don't already live there?

Guest stroumfaki

I have a family member who is very sick, and I would like to move there to be with them. I know it's very tough but I am really close to this person.

Guest FriendofGreece

If you have money to support you, because jobs are scarce in Greece now, why not move back to be near your family member? It is tough materially but would it not be worth it to give support to that person and other family members? You will be in your own country, with your own family, with your own people, speaking your own language, eating your own food. What more could you ask? Think that in many other countries, people survive on $1 a day and the idea of living in Greece would not appear so difficult as you might think.

At the moment no. I would love to retire there though, depending on what things will look like in Greece by the time I retire. 

By then it will be called North-West Syria.

Guest HappyAsHellas

I plan to move to Greece in the next few years when I retire. I have never met a people who are more welcoming, friendly, laid back and just generally more decent than in any other country I have visited. Of course there will be drawbacks such as a screwed up political system, corruption, bureaucracy on an unprecedented scale and drivers who have little or no understanding whatsoever of what a dividing line on the road is meant to represent. I am trying to think of somewhere else on this planet where I could go for a stroll and watch eagles flying high above, stop in a local cafe and end up more than slightly inebriated talking about football (soccer) and go to a local taverna and be spoilt for choice for a lovely meal. These things have happened to me in the space of a couple of hours on Greek islands. Where the hell else would you want to go?

Guest FriendofGreece

The Greek hospitality is unequalled. I have opened a topic called "Greek Philoxenia" when I joined the forum where I described how I felt about it.

As for moving back to Greece or not, I think it is a matter of priorities, what does one really want in life? Each person's life situation is different, whether you still have dependent children or not, whether you can afford financially or not, whether you have family in Greece or not, whether you have properties (house and land) in Greece or not, etc. But if the move is possible, I just can't see why not to move back. Kind and hospitable people, beautiful country (heaven on Earth), nice weather, lots of history (each stone in Greece has a history :) ), etc. Greece is not perfect, but then which country is? 

Guest Celestis

No i do not see myself moving to Greece .. I miss my family there  and i wish i could go and see them often but no i do not think i will be able to live there 

I am used to a different life style I left Greece when i was young i never voted there or worked or done anything left before i was an adult.

I plan to move to Greece in the next few years when I retire. I have never met a people who are more welcoming, friendly, laid back and just generally more decent than in any other country I have visited. Of course there will be drawbacks such as a screwed up political system, corruption, bureaucracy on an unprecedented scale and drivers who have little or no understanding whatsoever of what a dividing line on the road is meant to represent. I am trying to think of somewhere else on this planet where I could go for a stroll and watch eagles flying high above, stop in a local cafe and end up more than slightly inebriated talking about football (soccer) and go to a local taverna and be spoilt for choice for a lovely meal. These things have happened to me in the space of a couple of hours on Greek islands. Where the hell else would you want to go?

Well said my friend. Despite all the shit happening in Greece lately, Greece is still by far the best (and safest!) place to be in the world, as long as you're there as a tourist or as a retiree.

If you have to work or do business there then that's a different story... :)

Guest FriendofGreece

Let me be honest.

There are as many Greeks in the diaspora as there are Greeks in Greece. There is no war, no dictatorship, no authoritarian government in Greece to justify such a huge exodus.

Imagine if all the diaspora were coming back to live in Greece, bringing back the money, establishing businesses, upgrading the standard of living, of education, of health care, of government, etc. If Greeks abandon their country like that, the migrants will come to conquer your empty houses and your land. Think about it for a moment.

I, for one, have never understood why Greeks would want to live in another country than their own beautiful Greece. You complain about your government, but it is to you to build your government and your country the way you want it to be. Nobody can do it for you. Don't just sit there and complain, do something to make your dream become reality.

Guest FriendofGreece

http://theconversation.com/how-a-double-migrant-crisis-is-halting-greeces-recovery-57137

"Yet far worse for the Greek economy is how its own people are looking to leave in search of economic security. Since the beginning of the crisis, at least 250,000 young professionals are reported to have left the country, with some reports putting the estimate even higher. They do not use the illegal trails to leave, but their EU passport.

These professionals are skillful, highly educated and internationally marketable, making it easier for them to migrate. But they also are the very resource that is required for the resurrection of Greece’s economy. They are needed to build the high growth exporting businesses that are meant to drive growth and pull the country out if its slump."

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/25/the-real-greek-tragedy-the-worlds-biggest-brain-drain.html

Big words from a 22-year old:

" "I don't ever want to go back to Greece," Nefeli admits."

Going back home:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/202891/gallery/ekathimerini/community/returning-to-crisis-wracked-greece

"Filippeou still maintains her foreign contacts and younger architects often ask her whether there’s a future in Greece for them. “I am bothered by the idea that good minds stay away and can only do well elsewhere,” she says. “Motives need to be given to people from all fields to return and bring back the knowledge they have gained.” "

Guest palikari

no way.

10 years ago i was strongly considering it.

But now u have highly educated people leaving.  Why would I move there?  Not with that economic situation.

I'll make my cash here, and go there for vacations.

Guest stroumfaki

I agree with you FriendofGreece. A lot of my family members who are left in Greece constantly complain about how there are not many opportunities in Greece, and how the country is falling apart, but you are right. Not many of them are willing to do anything. The easiest thing is to leave and go to another country where you can make money, and not worry. It is very unfortunate that not many people in Greece are willing to fight for their dreams and hopes to become reality as you said, but rather give up , or move to another country.

I am seriously thinking of returning within the next 6 months because I want to be close to my family members who are going through tough times.

Kalo Pasxa se ollous!!

Let me be honest.

There are as many Greeks in the diaspora as there are Greeks in Greece. There is no war, no dictatorship, no authoritarian government in Greece to justify such a huge exodus.

Imagine if all the diaspora were coming back to live in Greece, bringing back the money, establishing businesses, upgrading the standard of living, of education, of health care, of government, etc. If Greeks abandon their country like that, the migrants will come to conquer your empty houses and your land. Think about it for a moment.

I, for one, have never understood why Greeks would want to live in another country than their own beautiful Greece. You complain about your government, but it is to you to build your government and your country the way you want it to be. Nobody can do it for you. Don't just sit there and complain, do something to make your dream become reality.

Guest Anoiksi.RS

I would move to Greece, tomorrow if I could...but not because I am desperate or romantic...My love for Greece is real and profound. I feel it like my second home. I love it with all it's imperfections. This is one of the "richest" countries in the world! By "rich" I mean something that You cannot buy with money! It's history, culture, nature, language and spirit! Many Greek people that I have spoken to are very disappointed with the economic situation. Many of them would like to leave Greece or they already have... It is sooo sad... what is Greece without Greeks?!!!... And I agree with a point of the member "FriendOfGreece"...Who can save Ellas but the Greek people...?!! ... I would gladly help with all my heart!!!

We own a house we are moving to Greece within a few months. This is a long project for us since we are planning to bring all our goods to our new home. I have done many searches as far as what we can or can't bring and also customs rules and regulations.  We have contacted the Embassy of Greece and ask them to give us some more information. The link below was referred to us; https://usgshipping.com/shipping-to-europe-from-usa/shipping-to-southern-europe/shipping-to-greece-from-usa

Anyway now we are already but we could not find yet a Company who can offer the clearance of our container in Pierus and delivery of it to our door. I am looking for a reliable customs broker in Greece who can help us with that process,

If anyone can recommend someone please send me their information.

Thank you all. 

Hi Vincent, good luck with your move. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in Greece. Where will you be staying? Athens or somewhere else?

In regards to your question about companies who can help you with clearing your container, I don't know of any but if you do a Google search there are a few that come up: https://www.google.com/search?q=clearance+of+our+container+in+Piraeus&oq=clearance+of+our+container+in+Piraeus

You'll have to contact a few and also do your research to determine which one will the best option for you.

Good luck!