Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest FriendofGreece

Which countries would you like to visit?

I've lived in Greece, UK and Canada. I've visited (other than Greece, UK and Canada  :) ) Italy, France, Germany, the US...that's all.

I'd like to visit Egypt to see the pyramids, and also visit Palmyra in Syria and Petra in Jordan to see the amazing antiquities there but I don't see this happening in my lifetime as those areas are inhabited by assholes and are very dangerous to visit. I'd also like to visit Japan and Australia/New Zealand at some point even though my most likely next destinations are Mexico, Cuba and the rest of the Caribbean islands (due to proximity to where I live...).

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Guest FriendofGreece

That is quite many countries already, Admin.  :)

It is a pity those antique places in Egypt, Jordan, etc., are out of question now, and I think a lot of antiquities have also been destroyed. I wonder if there is anything left to see of the Library of Alexandria.

Cuba would be a great place to start in the Carribean. You better visit before the Americans do :) I believe that in the next 2-3 years when the Americans will start investing heavily in Cuba and its tourism Cuba is going to lose some of its charm.

Guest PatrickT

I already visited: Bulgaria, Switzerland, Egypt, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Seychelles, Mauritius, Madagascar.

This year i will travel to Chile in November and i´m super excited about it. I will see the Pacific. And because of this i saw all 3 large oceans :D

Guest HappyAsHellas

I consider myself lucky in that I have been to Petra and the pyramids at Giza. What they don't tell you of course is that Giza is one of the poorer areas of Cairo and teeming with beggars. The US is well worth a visit if you have never been, genuinely a country with something for everyone. Central America and the Caribbean were great. I guess when you travel you find out that most people are indeed, friendly, no more so than in China a fascinating country. All in all though, if I got offered one destination it would be the Greek islands for me. Have to admit I always wanted to see the Galapagos islands, so I'll keep doing the lottery just in case!

Guest FriendofGreece

Wow, HappyAsHellas, you sure did travel a lot. I heard from someone who went to Egypt that it was dirty and smelly and he would never want to go back. That is too bad, makes me hesitant to go there to see the pyramids.

I would like to visit Delos. I think we have to pass by Mykonos to go there. Is it possible to go to Delos without spending a night on Mykonos, just for me to know?  

Guest FriendofGreece

Thanks, as long as I don't have to stay the night on Mykonos, it is fine. It takes a little planning in the scheduling having to go through those islands to reach Delos. Maybe it would be easier to take a mini-island cruise or something, rather than have to juggle all that.

If I only visit three Greek islands, which ones would you recommend? I have not visited any one yet.

Guest HappyAsHellas

If I only visit three Greek islands, which ones would you recommend? I have not visited any one yet.

So much choice depending on what your personal tastes are. Crete is one of my favourites as so much of the island is as yet undeveloped and small villages still exist pretty much the way they always have. Add in the Minoan palaces, ancient temples, Roman, Venetian even Arabic architecture, museums and monasteries and it's a captivating place. On top of this they have some magnificent beaches to relax on. I always tend to tour the south coast as it is much less developed. The copious amounts of tsikoudia (raki) offered at mealtimes also helps a pleasant experience. If you want a quiet small island then somewhere like Hailki is fantastic. Only half a dozen tavernas or so on the entire island, but as a retreat from modern life it is brilliant. Kefalonia is a stunningly beautiful  island, but this claim can be made for so many. Paxos is a lovely small island but exorbitantly expensive due to the yacht brigade who frequent it. Symi retains it's particular charm although it is getting ever more commercial. The more northern islands like Skiathos and Skopelos tend to be much greener than their southern counterparts, yet all have their own particular charm. I intend to go to Kastellorizo and Folegrandos in the future as I've always wanted to visit them. Sorry for going on a bit but the choices are virtually endless - wherever you end up I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and if you can speak a smattering of Greek you will be made to feel most welcome as most tourists couldn't care less about local languages.

Guest FriendofGreece

Jen, how did you like Vancouver? I hope it was not raining. Canada is very beautiful and so big. The Eastern Coast is great. If you visit Halifax, you can drive to Peggy's Cove and along the way, there are some nice fishing villages. 

HappyAsHellas - thanks for your detailed response, I can see how difficult it is for you to even reply as there is such a big choice. Of the three islands, I would like:

1) one island with archeological sites, so yes, Crete looks great.

2) second one would be quiet and not too commercial, to taste the authentic life on an island. Hailki looks perfect it seems. Now I have to find where it is. 

3) third one would be an island a little bit commercial, I don't mind, having many white houses, they look so cool. I like to shop for island souvenirs.   :D

Guest HappyAsHellas

In five weeks time, I'll be in Lindos on Rhodes which is a world heritage village with lots of twisting little alleyways and all white buildings. If you like commercial just go up  the road to Faliraki which has lots of shopping and bars. Jump up to the amazing walled town of Rhodes itself and from there you grab a ferry to either Hailki or Symi, both less than an hour away. If you go to Faliraki for a week, you'll need a week away somewhere else to recover. 

Jen, how did you like Vancouver? I hope it was not raining. Canada is very beautiful and so big. The Eastern Coast is great. If you visit Halifax, you can drive to Peggy's Cove and along the way, there are some nice fishing villages. Niagara Falls are great, I never get tired of admiring them. The Canadian side is much nicer than the US side of the falls.  :)

HappyAsHellas - thanks for your detailed response, I can see how difficult it is for you to even reply as there is such a big choice. Of the three islands, I would like:

1) one island with archeological sites, so yes, Crete looks great.

2) second one would be quiet and not too commercial, to taste the authentic life on an island. Hailki looks perfect it seems. Now I have to find where it is. 

3) third one would be an island a little bit commercial, I don't mind, having many white houses, they look so cool. I like to shop for island souvenirs.   :D

I wonder how it feels to be on an island surrounded by the blue Mediterranean, must be fantastic.  :rolleyes:

FriendofGreece,

that was my list of places id like to visit....that was your question for this post?  :unsure:

Guest FriendofGreece

Hi Jen,

Yes, that is the title of the topic. But in my first post, I also asked which countries you have already visited. Maybe it is a little mixing, sorry about that. 

OK, Jen, if you would like to visit Vancouver, make sure to check the weather in the season that you want to come. I visited Vancouver once for 3 days and it rained for 3 days, there was no sunshine at all, it was pretty depressing, except that the people there were very nice. :)  

Guest HappyAsHellas

Wow, look at this! Beautiful Falikari. Video does not work for me, don't know if you can watch it.

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/07/04/help-greece-come-to-faliraki-rhodes-video/

Don't know where the photo is from, but it sure ain't Faliraki. I will be there for two weeks and searching out quieter places as when you get a bit older the more relaxing style is about all your body can manage. Don't get me wrong, I don't see the grim reaper behind me when I look in the mirror, but the days of staggering violently out of a Faliraki bar at 4 in the morning are well behind me now. Obviously, if my daughter is looking for a late night drinking companion, I shall do my utmost to comply.

Guest FriendofGreece

In my opinion, one of the most picturesque places in Canada is called Peggy's Cove. From Halifax, the capital of the province of Nova Scotia, you can pass by Lunenberg, a quaint fishing village (they catch lobster there) before reaching Peggy's Cove. If you like to eat fresh seafood, Atlantic Canada is the place to visit!

Hi Jen,

Yes, that is the title of the topic. But in my first post, I also asked which countries you have already visited. Maybe it is a little mixing, sorry about that. 

OK, Jen, if you would like to visit Vancouver, make sure to check the weather in the season that you want to come. I visited Vancouver once for 3 days and it rained for 3 days, there was no sunshine at all, it was pretty depressing, except that the people there were very nice. :)  

i would like to visit during Christmas, let it snow  :D

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed