Hellenism.Net

Sign in to follow this  
Guest HappyAsHellas

football slang?

Guest HappyAsHellas

Whilst on holiday in Greece I bought a couple of mugs. One of them is supposed to concern Panathinaikos and has the word βαζελακι written on it. I was informed by the seller that it was a nickname for this team but can't find out what it means. Can anyone help?

Guest eyoismos

hahahaha

PAO fans are known as vazeles ... as in vaseline ... why? take a wild guess

Olympiakos is known as gavros ακα anchovy - obvious reference to where the club is based ... Piraeus, the sea port of athens

AEK fan as know as hanoumisses - aka women from a harem - again in reference to its origin - aka Constantinople

and the list goes on and on

nicknames of football clubs in greece lets just say are not kind or politically correct, sometimes outright nasty

Guest HappyAsHellas

The woman who sold me the mugs was overly concerned that the names were not nasty or wrong in any way which aroused my suspicions. The AEK mug (which got lost) had a name which I roughly guessed to be "little foreign girls". Thanks for your help though, although I can't think of a situation when I will use this new Greek word.

Guest eyoismos

to a greek football fan ... lets just say ...yeah ... she is probably right - in fact many where their nickname on their sleeve almost with impudance

to an outsiders ...who are used to nicknames like saints, red devils, canaries, gunners, hammers, magpies (just to name but a few) .... no so much - ok they too display their nicknames with pride ... but lets call them "insulting" nicknames as you find in greece, it would be like waving a red flag in front of a bull

different cultures i suppose - think of it this way ... in the uk, for example, the team's nickname is given by its own supporters, ...while in greece .... the team  is "baptized" with a nickname by the opposition's supporters

:)

as to where you would use it .... oh my ! ... if you are an olympiakos fan you can use it for any PAO fan you meet - hahahahaha

yup ... you guessed it ... i am an olympiakos fan

hahahahaha