Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest FriendofGreece

Which barbarians do you consider to be the fiercest?

Guest FriendofGreece

Ha, I thought someone would say something to that effect.  :P

OK, barbarians the way we understand it, I mean, violent, fierce, destructive, thieving, the usual stuff. For example: the Mongols, the Huns, etc. They may conquer but they did not establish any culture or civilization where they conquered.

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες

I think you're unfair to the Mongols and the Huns. Anyone can look as a barbarian, depending on where you stand.

For example, Turks and Mongolians think of Genghis Khan in a positive light, while most other people he conquered (Chinese, middle eastern people, most Europeans) see him as a destructive barbarian.

Guest FriendofGreece

Genghis Khan was a Mongolian and the Mongols are very proud of him. I don't know why the Turks like him. But then, I don't have a good opinion of the Turks anyhow.

In the case of Genghis Khan, he was sinicized the way the Romans were hellenized. The Huns, I don't think they did anything useful except destroying everything on their passage. 

There's very little we know about the Huns, so it's a bit unfair to judge them based on info we have from the very people who loathed them.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/nice-things-to-say-about-attila-the-hun-87559701/?no-ist

Guest FriendofGreece

Come to think of it, some of what we call "civilized" countries can be pretty much barbarian, more so than the barbarians themselves because of the fact that they are "civilized". Consider past colonizations by European countries, Black slavery in the US, and of course, US hegemony.

I am watching a video series on barbarians. Stunning that, while there were ancient civilizations that were thriving elsewhere or already past history, how the whole of Europe, apart from Greece, was made up of barbarians. Barbarians fighting other barbarians.

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed