Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest FriendofGreece

21st Century is India's Century?

Guest FriendofGreece

Move away, US, EU, China, everyone else ... The 21st century will be India's century. Or not?

http://www.indiawest.com/news/global_indian/modi-tells-indian-americans-st-century-belongs-to-india/article_80a13c44-65c5-11e5-8da0-930a90f31218.html

What do you think?

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Guest eyoismos

always very wary of those who stir up emotions in the crowd while speaking from a podium

having said that, many think that a viable scenario is that china is/will be the factory of the world, while india will be the offices

but india has a huge hurdle to overcome

prime example ....

Rape and violence against women are a massive problem in India. According to the country's National Crime Record Bureau, crimes against women have increased by 7.1 percent since 2010. The number of rapes reported has also risen. Nearly one in three rape victims in India is under the age of 18. One in 10 are under 14. Every 20 minutes in India, a woman is raped.

women have often an almost unbelievable hard time in india. Throw in the caste system , so dominant in India, below the surface or above,  into the foray and one immediately questions if this century is india's or not

Guest FriendofGreece

When Xi (the Chinese President) visited India last year (I think), he proposed for China and India to cooperate, China being the factory of the world, and India being the back office of the world. Immediately after Xi left, and before his trip to the US, Modi (the Indian PM) disclosed his "Made in India" project to overtake China as the factory of the world. I can see there are huge internal problems in India. One is the huge population, soon to be the biggest in the world and there is no stopping it.

Guest eyoismos

yikes !

i knew that india was a country of extremes, on the one side ...well there is a reason why so much outsourcing of coding goes india's way as in programming, ( that but a simple example) and on the other full tilt abject poverty with exponential potential for the ultimate slave labour

but what ajax brought to the for was a terrible and terrifying image of the dregs of society gone ballisticly "of the charts" wrong

indeed a frightening, dare i even say terrifying, eye opener of where humanity has completely lost the plot of what humanity should be

:(

Επισκέπτης

yikes !

i knew that india was a country of extremes, on the one side ...well there is a reason why so much outsourcing of coding goes india's way as in programming, ( that but a simple example) and on the other full tilt abject poverty with exponential potential for the ultimate slave labour

but what ajax brought to the for was a terrible and terrifying image of the dregs of society gone ballisticly "of the charts" wrong

indeed a frightening, dare i even say terrifying, eye opener of where humanity has completely lost the plot of what humanity should be

:(

Yeah, Humanity as a whole has taken a wrong turn but India has its own deeply entrenched cultural issues. There is the "Dowry Death" practice where a bride is burned drenched, in acid or killed by other means because the inlaws are not happy with the dowry. Killing the bride frees the Grom so that he can go after a new, bigger dowry.

And there are the statistical discrepancies in child mortality rates. Infant mortality for girls is 8% higher then for boys in India. The reason for that: Boys are more profitable for the family than girls cause the former bring in the dowry while the latterhave to be supplied with one. As a result many families let their baby girls go hungry. Often enough until they die. It is estimated that 30000 to 50000 little girls die in India every single year because the parents starve them intentionaly.

Makes you think.

Guest FriendofGreece

Like Eyoismos said, India is a country of extremes. They can go to Mars but the big majority of their population is starving. I am surprised the girl mortality is only 8% higher. The India population is very skewed, that is why there are so many rapes, although it seems to be cultural too. I read that the boys have stunted growth because of bad nutrition. With all that, there does not seem to be too much population control. If I remember well, India needs something like 1 million jobs per year for the youth. Barring rapid development, the "population dividend" so much touted by Modi is going to be a heavy burden and source of much unrest in the country. They don't seem to be able to get rid of their caste system, which does not help for sure. So much for being the so-called "biggest democracy", while the US is the "oldest democracy", as Modi and Obama like to say.

Επισκέπτης

Like Eyoismos said, India is a country of extremes. They can go to Mars but the big majority of their population is starving. I am surprised the girl mortality is only 8% higher. The India population is very skewed, that is why there are so many rapes, although it seems to be cultural too. I read that the boys have stunted growth because of bad nutrition. With all that, there does not seem to be too much population control. If I remember well, India needs something like 1 million jobs per year for the youth. Barring rapid development, the "population dividend" so much touted by Modi is going to be a heavy burden and source of much unrest in the country. They don't seem to be able to get rid of their caste system, which does not help for sure. So much for being the so-called "biggest democracy", while the US is the "oldest democracy", as Modi and Obama like to say.

Yeah well, attempts where made to address those issues and things where improving for a while. But lately the momentum has been lost and there are signs of regression. At the end you see a very small elite that does actually live in the 21st century and then there is a huge majority that drifts ever deeper into the dark ages. And those two groups are solidly segregated. In a sense, the scientific, technological and economic elite Indias constitutes a new addition to the Cast system. There are of course many Indians who are painfully aware of all that and try hard to change things but the odds are not in their favor.

Επισκέπτης

What happens to the farmers in India is a crime, there are so many suicides. Not sure what the government even does to help them, probably not much.

That's not just India. Hell, I just had the opportunity to visit my cousin who is a farmer in Northern Greece. His main income used to come from construction, he is a builder by trade, he would run the small farm he inherited from my uncle on the side. He didn't have a construction gig in three years. All he makes from the farm, after expenses, is 5000 Euros a year. And now he has to pay 26% income tax on that. Never mind the 23% Vat he pays every time he visits the store. While he can barely feed his kids our ruling elite is busy saving Syrians, paying subsidies to Green Energy scams and what not. And he is being charged for that too.

I think the narrative spun by politicians has nothing to do with reality. Neither in India and nor in any other place in the world.

Guest FriendofGreece

It is really unfortunate. If a country does not protect its farmers, it becomes dependent for food from outside. There is too much money spent on the illegal migrants that should have gone to feed the Greeks. I am not sure how strongly the Greeks are protesting against the migrants, this cannot go on forever.  

Guest FriendofGreece

54 African countries in India for India-Africa Summit, presumably Zambia is there too. 

http://www.thestatesman.com/news/iafs/all-54-african-countries-to-attend-india-africa-summit/99499.html

"Ahead of the summit, Prime Minister Modi has said that India's areas of focus in Africa will continue to be human resource development, institution building, infrastructure, clean energy, agriculture, health, education and skill development."

What is left out is that Modi has been intensely lobbying for a permanent seat at the UNSC in every country he has visited (29 so far in 18 months of his tenure) and with every country visiting India.

Should India be allowed a UNSC seat just because it has a big population?

Επισκέπτης

What is left out is that Modi has been intensely lobbying for a permanent seat at the UNSC in every country he has visited (29 so far in 18 months of his tenure) and with every country visiting India.

Should India be allowed a UNSC seat just because it has a big population?

India is a huge chunk of humanity is it not? So yes absolutely. It is a joke that countries such as France and the UK have a seat but India does not.

Guest eyoismos

uhm ....

The Council is composed of 15 Members:

i mean angola? chad? jordan? products of massive wars? on a security council? seriously?

nigeria? ...anybody heard of nigerian scams, as an example, apart from a histroy of human rights abuse and corruption

and lets look at the "permanents" ... military powers of sorts who have security and safety of the world as a last thing on their mind

not to mention that most of the "std " members tend to be puppets of the big boys, in one way or another

by the way ... India has been elected seven times to the UN Security Council

reality dictates that if india wants to become a permanent, with the option of a veto, she better become aggressive as the rest of them (remember ...i said reality ... not idealistic dreams)

Guest FriendofGreece

If only on the basis of population number, then Africa's population is 1.2 billion and growing and growing. India's population is estimated to be 1.28 billion in 2015 and growing and growing. Africa should also get a permanent seat then if India gets one.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34188248

The countries that are also lobbying for a permanent seat are Brazil, Germany and Japan. See the little group at the latest G4 meeting, chaired by India:

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/un-security-council-must-include-worlds-largest-democracies-pm-modi-at-g4-summit-1223241

I don't think India is so soft, it has many problems with its neighbours. Last I read, it appears that India was against some changes that Nepal wanted to make in Nepal's constitution. (I don't fully understand the particulars.) Talk about interference like a Big Brother.

https://www.timesofassam.com/articles/india-is-not-fit-to-get-un-veto-power/

In my opinion, India does not deserve to have a permanent seat for the simple reason that the Indian government cannot even govern.They can't even manage to pass a simple thing such as the GST law. How can you take care of wordly affairs if you can't take care of your own internal affairs?

Guest FriendofGreece

After two years in power, Modi now reverts to helping farmers finally, with a view to important coming state elections, after having lost the Bihar and Delhi elections.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/world/asia/narendra-modi-india.html?_r=0

When you look at the difficulties of governing "democratic" India or "communist" China, governing Greece should be a piece of cake. :)  

Guest FriendofGreece

India's plan to build 100 smart cities. Seems to me they should be building basic infrastructure, such as toilets, first. 

"The fact that cities are bursting at the seams is not lost on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government, which, on 29 April 2015, signed off on a plan to create 100 “smart cities” and the rolling out of a new five-year urban development mission for 500 cities. The combined cost: Rs.1 trillion (Story:bit.ly/1LiQQI8). This January, the government selected 20 cities, including five state capitals, to launch its larger urban makeover plan—the first phase of the larger plan to set up 100 smart cities. The next round of the competition is to select 40 cities this year."

Guest FriendofGreece
Guest FriendofGreece
Guest FriendofGreece

New Japan-India nuclear deal whereby Japan is selling its nuclear technology to India, despite India not having adhered to Non-Nuclear Proliferation. It appears this is the outdated technology related to the nuclear reactors that were leaking after the tsunami 5 years ago and which are not fixed yet.

There is a clause ("note") to the agreement that in the event India uses the technology to produce nuclear bombs, that Japan can terminate the agreement. India considers the clause as being not binding on it, since it is merely a note (the two sides' viewpoints) and therefore not part of the agreement.

It appears the US and other countries have signed similar agreements with India. Worrisome because India absolutely refuses to be bound by any international rules regarding the non-nuclear proliferation. This is a country that is thinking it is a hegemon already despite one billion of its people living in poverty.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/business/international/japan-india-nuclear-deal.html

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/KvSC8N00tpFb9hi96YlFSO/Termination-clause-in-IndiaJapan-civil-nuclear-deal-not-b.html

Japan signed the deal despite opposition in Japan:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201611090023.html

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed