Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest eyoismos

those little details tat give you the shits with restaurants

Guest eyoismos

classic example ... and i think FriendOfGreece might have experienced this, as many others .....

so you go to a so called fancy restaurant ...and you ask for a greek salad

.... and they throw in a couple of white colored rubber pieces posing as fetta, and a couple of olive wannabes and the sell the salad to you as greek salad

seriously?

WTF !!!

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Guest FriendofGreece

The thing that bothers me is when the Lebanese make souvlakis, they are so petty and so stingy. They have to pick, put back, pick another smaller piece, the ingredients, one piece by one. Especially those weird pink stuffs that they have. Then they spread a few tiny drops of so-called tsaziki. Now, when I see a Greek restaurant, I ask first if they are Greeks. Once, I asked and they said yes, they are Greeks, and I bought souvlakis from them. After I paid, they told me they are Lebanese. I did not go back because they lied to me.

Guest eyoismos

hahahahaha

yeah .... we got a couple of those lebs here too

in the past they used to sell you shawarma ... the lebonese version of gyro in pitta bread (but not pork, only chicken or beef or goat or whatever...but always halal) ...and you need like 3 of them before they can be categorized as hunger-busters

so a couple of greek here, mainly FOB's (fresh of boat) said fuck that .... and did it greek style .... selling at the same price as the stingy pipe thickness ones mentioned above, but so fat in diameter, often you cant finish the fuckers in one sitting

needless to say ... now those very same lebs have caught a wake up

but the greek outlets have a hard time keeping up with the supply ...add that to the fact that the local love pork as well ...

i need not say more

hahahahaha

Guest eyoismos

here is another favorite bitch at restaurants

so you order a large cold coke .... and they bring you a glass full of ice and coke in it

so you take all the ice out, and I swear ...its like i ordered a single whiskey or something. that's how much coke is in the frigging glass

and all that at triple the price of a std bottle of coke from a supermarket

total fuckers!!!!!

Guest FriendofGreece

The thing is that, instead of saying Lebanese restaurants, they say Greek restaurants on their signs. If they had said Lebanese, I would not mind, but then, I would not go, ha ha.

Maybe you should ask for Coke in a can, not in a glass, just like when you order beer in a can or a bottle. I don't drink soft drinks, so no problem here.

Guest eyoismos

yes well .. you only get bitten once before you learn to order drinks separate from ice - hahahah

anyways.... here in lusaka .... there is a seafood joint, a franchise, from a greek owned establishment in South Africa, and the owner here is a indigenous zambian, black as the ace of spades, . In this restaurant, all you hear in the background is greek music, the theme is greek and all that, most of the food is prepared greek style, etc etc etc

now the irony is, right next door, (yeah, this is in a mall) there is a really fancy restaurant, (also a franchise, and strangely enough, the holding company in South africa is also owned by a greek) which is owned by a greek, that prides itself in international cuisine (and dont get me wrong, the food there is excellent).... but it doesnt server a single greek dish

fucking hilarious

Guest FriendofGreece

Yeah, really funny. Greeks here used to own restaurants but now, their children don't want to do restaurants any more. They are more educated and don't want to do the long gruelling hours. Greeks made the best pizzas. Now there are no more Greek-owned pizzerias and pizzas are just so-so.

Guest eyoismos

i have yet to come across a greek, at least in this general part of the world, that didnt at least spent a few years in the food business, education or no education

must be in the blood, me thinks

(or is it in the bellies?)

:)

but seriously, what i said above is true

i even met a greek ship owner, from canada, (not personally ... more like ... well ...the internet is wonderful) who started his career as a dishwasher ....(ok ok ..while being at university and a means to pay the bills ... but he says he never regretted it and it was an educational experience)

what ? you though dish washing isnt part of the food business?

:P

Most Greeks here in Canada started as dishwashers and they slowly evolved into cooks and then restaurant owners. Now how one goes from a dishwasher to becoming a cook without getting any proper training, this is a question nobody has answered properly yet :)

Επισκέπτης

classic example ... and i think FriendOfGreece might have experienced this, as many others .....

so you go to a so called fancy restaurant ...and you ask for a greek salad

.... and they throw in a couple of white colored rubber pieces posing as fetta, and a couple of olive wannabes and the sell the salad to you as greek salad

seriously?

WTF !!!

You think that's bad? You shouldn't visit a Greek restautant here in Texas then. It will make you cry. The few crumbled bits of feta, which is rather chalky here, aren't even the worst crime against Greek Culinary Tradition. Get this: ICEBERG LETTUCE is the main ingedient in what they sell as a Greek Salad here! And it gets even worse. They dress that shit up with Canola Oil. WTF?

Guest eyoismos

excuse my ignorance but what is Canola Oil? is it like sunflower seed oil?

because i have seen some wanker restaurantors use that shit here too

curiosity also begs to ask ... is the restaurant in question actually owned by a greek?

or how about ... and i heard this just the other day ,some greek restaurant in san antonio, if i am not mistaken 

has an inhouse greek band  ...and not one member is actually greek

hahahahhaaha

Guest FriendofGreece

I have never been in the kitchen of a restaurant, but can't the dishwasher look how the cook cooks, I mean, if he even has time to. As for Greek restaurants or food, does it not seem like a popular trend everywhere to have Greek this, Greek that, and those things are not Greek or not made by Greeks?  

Επισκέπτης

excuse my ignorance but what is Canola Oil? is it like sunflower seed oil?

because i have seen some wanker restaurantors use that shit here too

curiosity also begs to ask ... is the restaurant in question actually owned by a greek?

or how about ... and i heard this just the other day ,some greek restaurant in san antonio, if i am not mistaken 

has an inhouse greek band  ...and not one member is actually greek

hahahahhaaha

Yes they are Greek but FUCK me if they have even been in a Greek Kitchen. Btw, they tend to market themselves as "Mediteranean"

In other words, they dish up humus tabule, kebabs and doner which they call gyros. And there is one joint that offers "Original Greek Bellydance". Quite pathetic actually. Well there is one joint in Houston that makes a Good Mussaka. But the rest sucks.

PS:

Wiki on Canola

The name "canola" was chosen by the board of the Rapeseed Association of Canada in the 1970s. The "Can" part stands for Canada and "ola" refers to oil. However, a number of sources, including The Free Dictionary, continue to claim it stands for "Can(ada)+o(il)+l(ow)+a(cid). The name was coined partially to avoid the negative connotations of rapeseed

Its use was limited until the development of steam power, when machinists found rapeseed oil clung to water- and steam-washed metal surfaces better than other lubricants. World War II caused high demand for the oil as a lubricant for the rapidly increasing number of steam engines in naval and merchant ships. When the war blocked European and Asian sources of rapeseed oil, a critical shortage developed, and Canada began to expand its limited rapeseed production.

After the war, demand declined sharply, and farmers began to look for other uses for the plant and its products. Rapeseed oil extracts were first put on the market in 1956–1957 as food products, but these suffered from several unacceptable characteristics. Rapeseed oil had a distinctive taste and a disagreeable greenish color, due to the presence of chlorophyll. It also contained a high concentration of erucic acid. Experiments on animals have pointed to the possibility that erucic acid, consumed in large quantities, may cause heart damage

Canola oil is made at a processing facility by slightly heating and then crushing the seed. Almost all commercial canola oil is then refined using hexane. Finally, the Canola oil is refined using water precipitation and acid, "bleaching" with clay, and deodorizing using steam distillation.

But it is Cheap!

Guest eyoismos

sounds like the ouzo they make (or at least i think they still do) in zimbabwe ... that can double up as an engine cleaner

bwahahahahaha

interestingly enough, in zimbabwe there was a cocktail concoction that was dreamed up, called a black mamba

(mambas are one of the most poisonous snakes you can come across)

basically ouzo and coke

kinda makes sense now, why they called it that, doesnt it? pure poison

:D

Επισκέπτης

We have a greek restaurant in my hometown which is quite good to be honest. I never had anything to complain there.

I spend most of my life in Munich and we had a fairly large Greek community there. Got to say the Greek Restaurants there were all great. And we had plenty of them.

Επισκέπτης

I have never been in the kitchen of a restaurant, but can't the dishwasher look how the cook cooks, I mean, if he even has time to. As for Greek restaurants or food, does it not seem like a popular trend everywhere to have Greek this, Greek that, and those things are not Greek or not made by Greeks?

Me neither. But that's not where you learn to cook Greek food. I've learned to cook by looking over my Grandmothers shoulder and by sitting around in my mothers kitchen.

Guest PatrickT

I spend most of my life in Munich and we had a fairly large Greek community there. Got to say the Greek Restaurants there were all great. And we had plenty of them.

We have two greek restaurants in my city and both are realy good. I never visited the 2nd one but the one i go with my family and friends like 3 - 4 times in the year is really good. 

Me neither. But that's not where you learn to cook Greek food. I've learned to cook by looking over my Grandmothers shoulder and by sitting around in my mothers kitchen.

Exactly, that's the way most of these Greek "cooks" learnt how to cook. However, watching your grandma cook doesn't make you a cook qualified to serve food to thousands of people over the course of years  :D

Guest FriendofGreece

Well, a person I know, her husband is a chef in a high-class French restaurant. She said he had told her that in the restaurant, as is common in many other high-class restaurants, they serve cat instead of rabbit. That is because cat meat is white, tastes like rabbit meat and the cat's shape looks like rabbit, so the patrons don't have a clue of what they are really eating. 

Guest FriendofGreece

Chinese food? I think you mixed up. The Chinese eat dog food, I have never heard them eating cat food.  :P  Hmmm ... while dogs are straying out in the streets, how do the French restaurants catch cats for their rabbit recipe? Cats usually remain inside.

OK, to gato gateau. You know, "gateau" means "cake" in French. From now on, I will never look at a gateau the same way.  :D

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed