Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest FriendofGreece

Greek Diaspora

Guest FriendofGreece

The Greek diaspora is really varied, there seems to be Greek communities in a lot of countries. Due to their hard work, Greeks have been successful in the host countries where they have emigrated.

I wonder how connected Greek diaspora is with Greece. I know Greeks tend to go back to Greece for vacation, spending money to help Greek tourism.

Can diaspora Greeks vote in Greek elections, for example? If not, is it something the diaspora would like?

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Guest FriendofGreece

Gallika means French, so this is going in a circle.

Anyhow, I can understand that if you don't have Greek citizenship and have only, for example, Canadian or UK citizenship, you should not be able to vote. But if you have dual citizenship, it seems to me you should be able to vote.

Guest eyoismos

Gallika means French, so this is going in a circle

just playing with words and having fun .... because you did say oh la la :)

as for the rest ... tell that to the f'ing greek governments.

the only way we can vote is if we make the arduous journey to where we are registered, with all the expenses involved, and that we can only vote for the candidates made available by any political party and pertaining to the indigenous greeks only

. no representation for those in the diaspora, with their own particular needs and/or requirements, as opposed to countries like france and italy amoungst others,

it goes without saying that proving greek citizenship is the very least requirement

Guest FriendofGreece

So how did the French and Italian diasporas achieve their rights, can the Greeks lobby the same way? The Greek diaspora is huge compared to the population in Greece. I think Greece should take advantage of the diaspora which can provide help if they have more say.

Guest eyoismos

i will be perfectly honest here and say, ... i dont give a hoot how they went about getting their rights

to be even more honest .... i dont give a flying fark about using alleged guidance by anybody  to achieve those very same rights for ourselves, for which we deserve

and to be really brutally honest , i am almost convinced the the blacks,blues, greens and reds are petrified of giving representation

.... unless and until the can control and manipulate us for their own advantages

which brings me to the example of italy

i remember reading about the shall we call "leader" of the italian diaspora, some dude, if i recall, from argentina, ...well.... the italian political parties bend over backwards to intimidate the various factions of the italian diaspora to give blow jobs to the various italian parties, in order to gain various advantages and priviliges and whatever else they could come up with

only the faced something unprecedented for italian political parties .... they guy pretty much said, we dont give blow jobs, now blow us, we do and act independantly and cater for the needs and rquirements and dreams of the italian dispora

kudos to him !!!!

(and yes, ... i am taking "artistic liberties" here ... but the essence is the same)

its this very thing that i am convinced that the arseholes in greece are terrified of ....that we have ideas and knowledge and brains of our own, and that we CAN make a difference

let us also not forget, unlike the frenchies and the Ities, the greek diaspora is way bigger than the population in greece

no wonder the idiots back home are terrified with the notion that we, "home away from home",  and pretty much adore our motherland, warts and all, actually deserve representation

Guest FriendofGreece

I don't know the reasons why Greece is not taking advantage of its diaspora. The diaspora, being outside of Greece, can sometimes see better and clearer the failings and possible ways of improving the situation. Furthermore, there are a lot of rich diaspora Greeks who could invest in Greece. Greece needs any help it can get, it is not the time to refuse the diaspora help. I think Greece should put the good of the Greek people above politics.

Guest FriendofGreece

Then, if the diaspora truly wishes for the opportunity to make a difference, you should use all your energies to convince the Greek government to let you do so. Nobody else will nor can do it for you. In fact, a challenge is also an opportunity, and you need to grab it at the right time.

Guest eyoismos

refer to what i said about help and money above

you cannot fix external problems if you dont first fix internal issues

at least that's my take on it

call it social, economic, business or whatever ... we are talking about fundamentals here, fundamentals that cannot be ignored or hidden under the rug.

no point of repairing the symptoms and ignoring the disease ...because disease will invariably come back with a vengeance time and time and time again

Guest FriendofGreece

Sometimes, people who are involved internally are so caught up with details that they cannot see the big picture. A person from outside who does not know the internal problems may see clearer and pinpoint what is the problem and how to fix it. It is not necessarily money, maybe it is pride. But pride can only blind people.

Guest eyoismos

to be brutally honest ... what that dude in the link was saying ... all i heard (read) is "blah blah blah"

we have heard it all countless times before and in multiple variations

ad nauseam deluxe

next !!!!

i mean ...seriously ...how stupid do the greek politicians back home think that the diaspora is ?

they have pretty much sent greece to purgatory, and now our trying to buy favor from its people

in the Hellenic world by selling indulgences and absolution certificates in order to gain favor?

as they say in greece ... μιά του κλέφτη, δυό του κλέφτη, τρεις του νοικοκύρη

(once for the thief, twice for the thief, third tie for the home owner)

Guest FriendofGreece

It is sad to see why Greece does not cooperate more with the Greek diaspora. Greece should look at other countries' diasporas. The Chinese, I think, have special programs and enticements to invite their educated and successful diaspora back to China to help build the country. Everyone knows that the Jewish diaspora helps Israel. India now is actively courting their diaspora for investments, considering that Google, Microsoft, Coca-Cola, etc., are headed by Indians. I do hope that Greece will do something.

Guest FriendofGreece

There are so many rich Greeks outside of Greece. I don't think they lift a small finger to help investments in Greece. Like Kennedy said: "Don't ask what your country can do for you, but ask yourself what you can do for your country." So before the diaspora asks for rights, maybe help Greece before?

Guest eyoismos

what makes you think they havent tried .... and tried ... and tried ... and tried again .... and stupidly still do ?

and yet just soooooo often ... members of the greek diaspora are met by the locals, when they visit home,  with ..... well ... like .... thanks for the money but you remain an "amerikanaki" (little american), "aftralezaki" (little australian), "afrikanaki" (little african)

not by everybody mind you, far from it .... but often enough to make one sickened with the ingratitude that seemed to perverse the mindset of many

Guest FriendofGreece

I read some articles where the rich Greeks said they did not want to invest in Greece, they prefer to invest wherever. Yes, I have read about diaspora mentioning that about local Greeks (not about money, but the other things), which I find very strange, considering the hospitality Greeks have towards foreigners. Although in other countries, the same attitude may exist towards their diasporas, especially when the diasporas come back home with money, have well-paying jobs, are highly-educated, etc. A little jealousy maybe?

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed