Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest FriendofGreece

Philoxenia

Guest FriendofGreece

Here is a nice article on Greek hospitality. Despite the austerity, it seems Greeks have remained hospitable.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/observations/2015/10/lets-sing-praises-greeks

This story is even nicer - The baker of Kos:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-siegel/bread-for-the-journey-the-greek-baker-who-remembers_b_8166242.html

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες

Well said my friend.

Even though I usually hate to generalize and say things like "all Greeks are hospitable" or "all Germans are heartless assholes" etc. in some cases it's fair to generalize, especially when a pattern repeats itself over and over again. 

When it comes to hospitality Greeks are really exceptional. Even though I've met many people in my life from many different cultures, and some of them are also very hospitable, I can really say that Greeks in general are amongst the most hospitable people I've been around to. I guess you could say that since I'm Greek myself I'm usually receiving some extra attention from fellow Greeks, which may be true, but nonetheless, Greeks' hospitality is legendary no matter where you go.

I sincerely wish that the hardships Greeks are going through these days won't change their core values, and from what I'm seeing so far in most cases it's reinforcing them.

Επισκέπτης

Greek hospitality is a myth. Nowhere have I experienced less hospitable people than in Greece. If anything Greeks are extremely rude unfriendly and pushy. The Barbaric Ottomans on the other hand are among the most friendly and accomodating people I have ever encountered. On my last trip to Greece I've ventured on a 3 day trip across the border to Istanbul and the difference is like day and night. The Turks win hands down.

Guest FriendofGreece

There is no need to go to Turkey, neither do I have any intention to go to Turkey. I can just read a little history through wiki. I am sure you have heard of the Greek Genocide?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide

I am not sure, but I was under the impression you are a Greek living in Germany, I might be wrong. So I am a little surprised.

Επισκέπτης

There is no need to go to Turkey, neither do I have any intention to go to Turkey. I can just read a little history through wiki. I am sure you have heard of the Greek Genocide?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide

I am not sure, but I was under the impression you are a Greek living in Germany, I might be wrong. So I am a little surprised.

Oh! Another WIKI scholar. Impressive.

My grandparents were all Ottoman subjects and their generation was part of what you call "Greek Genocide". They would never call it that and neither will I. Yes crimes were committed in Turkey, especially by the Young Turk successors of the Ottomans. But all things considered, the Ottoman Empire was a utopia of civility compared to 18th and 19th century Europe or America.

Guest eyoismos

And since you haven't been to Turkey, obviously, you shouldn't speak for them either. Or do you speak from first hand experience when you call the Ottomans "Barbaric"?

uhm ... excuse me .... but have you never heard of armenian genocide and even the pontian one, which is suppose to be where you are from and where your heart

or even the murder of an Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople

we wont even go further back ... like bring up other matters, like , for example ... i dont know ,,,, how about stealing kids from the non-believers, aka Devsirme, to force them to become "Good ottomans"

Guest eyoismos

Oh! Another WIKI scholar. Impressive.

My grandparents were all Ottoman subjects and their generation was part of what you call "Greek Genocide". They would never call it that and neither will I. Yes crimes were committed in Turkey, especially by the Young Turk successors of the Ottomans. But all things considered, the Ottoman Empire was a utopia of civility compared to 18th and 19th century Europe or America.

your grandparents might not ...maybe ... but the pontians themselves through their own organizations think otherwise

PONTIAN WEB SITES GENERAL

Επισκέπτης

uhm ... excuse me .... but have you never heard of armenian genocide and even the pontian one, which is suppose to be where you are from and where your heart

or even the murder of an Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople

we wont even go further back ... like bring up other matters, like , for example ... i dont know ,,,, how about stealing kids from the non-believers, aka Devsirme, to force them to become "Good ottomans"

I hear you people talk about that all the time. My people who lived through it saw things differently. Yes there were crimes comitted and there were perpetrators and victims on all sides but that were also good people and many acts of courage and compassion on all sides. But thats something you know nothing about. Besides what the fuck is it to you? Did I invite you to address the grievances of my people?

Επισκέπτης

eyo

your grandparents might not ...maybe ... but the pontians themselves through their own organizations think otherwise

No Pontians who experienced the events did. They were fighters. They schemed, revolted, fought, lost and paid dearly. That's it. The pseudo Pontians who know pontos from wiki pedia are the ones who get their panties in a bunch about it. The moral of the whole story is: Don't get into a fight unless you are absolutely determined to go all the way to hell and back.

Guest eyoismos

oh ? .... what you are saying is, all those pontian websites are controlled by pseudo-Pontians?

you live and learn

i guess i will have to cease and desist having a deep compassion for my fellow greeks from that part of the world, or my fellow greeks from cyprus, or wherever else they have been shafted

oh wait

NOT!!!!!

because i refuse to be forced to do the ostrich thing ... by anybody ..and especially by those who have taken it upon themselves to be ostriches on so many levels ...be it from pontos or cyprus amongst others

To be fair, Turks are very hospitable too.

Again, I hate generalizations, but living in Canada I have the pleasure of hanging out and getting to know people of many different cultures. Even though no two people are the same, no matter where they come from, there are some general characteristics shared by people of the same culture and background.

What I've noticed is that in general Greeks, middle easterns (Turks, Kurds, Syrians, Lebanese etc.) are much more hospitable and friendly than people of Northern European and North American heritage. This is a fact.

Saying this, I've met many Canadians (whose families have lived in Canada for several generations) who are extremely hospitable and excellent hosts. But that's rare. As it is rare to find a Greek, anywhere in North America, who's not more hospitable than the average North American.

Επισκέπτης

oh ? .... what you are saying is, all those pontian websites are controlled by pseudo-Pontians?

you live and learn

i guess i will have to cease and desist having a deep compassion for my fellow greeks from that part of the world, or my fellow greeks from cyprus, or wherever else they have been shafted

oh wait

NOT!!!!!

because i refuse to be forced to do the ostrich thing ... by anybody ..and especially by those who have taken it upon themselves to be ostriches on so many levels ...be it from pontos or cyprus amongst others

Those are Pousto-Pontians they contracted the Gay while living in Greece. True Pontians did not post petitions on facebook they settled disputes with the blade. Haven't you noticed the big knives that are part of Pontian dress? They were not just for decoration. Blood feuds and honor killings were part of Pontian culture. And if you had ever seen some real Pontians dancing the Blade Dance, the Bicac, the Pontian way, that is until blood is drawn, then you would understand.

Guest eyoismos

wow!

all i say is ...

AUSTRALIA

Pontian Club Inc of Canberra - Pontian Club of Canberra (Eng)

Pontian Federation of Australia - Pontian Associations of Australia (Eng)

Pontian Organisation of Whittlesea - Panagia Soumela (Eng)

Pontian Foundation Panagia Soumela of Aust and NZ - Panagia Soumela (Eng)

Pontian Brotherhood of West Aust - The Pontian Association "St.George" of Western Australia - Perth (Eng)

DOWN - Pontian Brotherhoud of Sth Australia - South Australian Home page(Eng)

GERMANY

Pontian Youth Organisation of Europe - Pontian Youth of Europe (Grk)

Frankfurt - Pontian Association of Frankfurt Germany (Ger)

Schorndorf - Pontian Association of Schorndorf, Germany(Ger)

Stuttgart - Pontian Association of Stuttgart - Germany (Ger)

Wiesbaden Pontian club - Club web site (Grk)

DOWN - Kolonia - Pontian Association of Germany(Eng)

DOWN - Pontian Youth of EU - Home page of the German youth (Grk + Grm)

AMERICA

Pontian Society "Pontos" - Pontian Society of Norwalk USA (Eng)

Panagia Soumela - Boston Pontian Club web page (Eng)

Xeniteas Club - Chicago Pontian Club web page (Grk)

CANADA

Efxinos Pontos Canada - Pontian Association of Montreal,CANADA (Grk + Eng)

SWEDEN

Efxinos Pontos of Sweden - Pontian Association of Stockholm (Eng + Swedish)

you seem to have an aweful lot of poustides in the pontian communities world wide

oh wait ...... maybe somebody else has a permanent spindle up his butt

just saying :P

Guest eyoismos

from one of the german alleged (by you) pousto-pontian organizations

Μόνιμη Επιτροπή της Ομοσπονδίας Συλλόγων Ελλήνων Ποντίων στην Ευρώπη (Ο.Σ.Ε.Π.Ε) για τη διεθνή αναγνώριση της Γενοκτονίας.

Ständiger Ausschuss des Verbandes der Vereinen der Griechen aus Pontos in Europa
zur Förderung der internationalen Bekanntmachung und Anerkennung des Genozids.

Η Ομοσπονδία Ελλήνων Ποντίων Ευρώπης (Ο.Σ.Ε.Π.Ε.), από τα μέσα της δεκαετίας του 1980,   έχει καθιερώσει εκδηλώσεις Μνήμης της 19η Μαΐου καθώς επίσης και την τέλεση μνημοσύνων και εκδηλώσεων προς τιμή των 353.000 προγόνων μας, που σφαγιάσθηκαν από τους Νεοτούρκους και τους κεμαλιστές της περιόδου 1916 – 1922.
Οι εκδηλώσεις αυτές μνήμης και τιμής παγιώθηκαν στην πάροδο των χρόνων και αποτελούν πλέον αναπόσπαστο κομμάτι του ετήσιου προγράμματος δραστηριοτήτων όλων των Συλλόγων – Μελών της “Ομοσπονδίας Ελλήνων Ποντίων Ευρώπης“. Οι δραστηριότητες αυτές, σε συνδυασμό με τις συχνότατες αναφορές, σε συνέδρια και συνδιασκέψεις, στην τραγική ιστορία των προγόνων μας και των άλλων χριστιανών της Οθωμανικής Αυτοκρατορίας, γιγάντωσαν το δίκαιο αίτημά μας για αναγνώριση της Γενοκτονίας από τη Διεθνή Κοινότητα και τις Κυβερνήσεις των λαών.

Η Γενοκτονία δεν παραγράφεται.
Η Ομοσπονδία και οι Σύλλογοι-Μέλη θέλουν να καταδείξουν ότι δεν ξεχνούν αλλά, αντίθετα, με αποφασιστικότητα διατρανώνουν τη βούλησή τους να διεκδικήσουν και να απαιτήσουν τη διεθνή αναγνώριση του διαπραχθέντος εγκλήματος  κατά των προγόνων μας.

Προκειμένου να εργαστούμε  πιο συγκροτημένα και να λειτουργήσουμε συντονισμένα για την επίτευξη του στόχου μας, που αποτελεί, άλλωστε, ιστορικό μας χρέος, προχωρήσαμε στη συγκρότηση ειδικής Μόνιμης Επιτροπής, με απόφαση του έκτακτου συνεδρίου της Ο.Σ.Ε.Π.Ε. στις 23 Σεπτέμβρη 2006.
Έργο της ειδικής αυτής  Eπιτροπής είναι η προώθηση της διεθνούς αναγνώρισης της Γενοκτονίας. Συγκεκριμένα, η Επιτροπή αποφάσισε  να ενημερώσει και να ευαισθητοποιήσει τους πολίτες της  Ευρώπης, τους διανοούμενους, τα μέσα μαζικής ενημέρωσης, τους πολιτικούς, τις ηγεσίες των κρατών, τα κοινοβούλια αλλά και τους διεθνείς οργανισμούς ανθρωπίνων δικαιωμάτων, μέσα από διάφορες εκδηλώσεις και ενέργειες για το σκοπό αυτό.
Η Ομοσπονδία μας, εκτιμώντας το σημαντικό έργο και τη σπουδαιότητα των στόχων της Επιτροπής, προχώρησε στην ανασυγκρότησή της στο έκτακτο συνέδριο, στις 13 Νοέμβρη 2010.
Αποφάσισε επίσης τη δημιουργία ενός δικτύου συνεργατών από όλους τους Συλλόγους, που θα πλαισιώνουν και θα στηρίζουν τις δραστηριότητες της Επιτροπής.
Η Επιτροπή με τη νέα της σύνθεση, πλαισιωμένη από τα μέλη του δικτύου και έχοντας την αμέριστη συμπαράσταση όλων των μελών των εκάστοτε Διοικητικών Συμβουλίων, θα καταβάλει κάθε δυνατή προσπάθεια προκειμένου να επιτύχει την ενημέρωση και ευαισθητοποίηση των λαών, τη συμπαράσταση της πνευματικής ηγεσίας και των εκκλησιών, την ενεργό συμμετοχή των Μ.Μ.Ε. και των πολιτικών.
Η  Γενοκτονία των Ελλήνων του Πόντου και της ευρείας περιοχής της  Μ. Ασίας, Ανατολικής Θράκης, των άλλων χριστιανικών πληθυσμών της Ανατολής, καθώς και των άλλων εθνοτήτων, πρέπει να αναγνωριστεί, όχι μόνο από τη Διεθνή Κοινότητα, αλλά κυρίως από το Τουρκικό Κράτος.
Η αναγνώριση της Γενοκτονίας από το Τουρκικό Κράτος θα αποτελέσει, αναμφισβήτητα, μια στέρεη βάση για την οικοδόμηση αμοιβαίας εμπιστοσύνης, ώστε να εμπεδωθεί η ειρήνη και η σχέση ειλικρινούς φιλίας μεταξύ των λαών που υπέστησαν την Γενοκτονία και της σύγχρονης Τουρκίας.  

Guest eyoismos

αν τολμας, πες σε αυτά τα παιδια στα μούτρα τους οτι είναι πουστοπόντιοι, και θα σου πω εγώ για μαχαίρια

The Pyrrhic dance is an ancient war dance of the Greeks of Pontus...the Pontian people have maintained it to this day, as accurately as it was described by Xenophon

mind you, the more "civilized" variation sends a shiver down my spine, goosepimples on my body and pride through my soul - for pontian are very much a living part of who we are

Επισκέπτης

It is a pandemic what can I say. My Grandfathers commited themselves to the fight for the liberation of Pontos and fought a war of attrition against the Turks and the Armenians. We lost so what? Should I piss on their graves by joining arms in victimhood with the Armenians. Screw that.

Guest eyoismos

so now you are suggesting that the pontians stole it from the persians and xenofon was lieing

wow ! - lets see ... pontian... anatolian ....  next you will be saying that you are of persian stock

i guess this is all bullshit too

The region of Trapezus, later called Trebizond, now Trabzon, was mentioned by Xenophon in his famous work Anabasis, describing how he and other 10,000 Greek mercenaries fought their way to the Euxine Sea after the failure of the rebellion of Cyrus the Younger whom they fought for, against his older brother Artaxerxes II of Persia. Xenophon mentions that when at the sight of sea they shouted "Thalatta! Thalatta!" – "The sea! The sea!", the local people understood them. They were Greeks too and, according to Xenophon, they had been there for over 300 years.[10] A whole range of trade flourished among the various Greek colonies, but also with the indigenous tribes who inhabited the Pontus inland. Soon Trebizond established a leading stature among the other colonies and the region nearby become the heart of the Pontian Greek culture and civilization.

or i suppose you gonna deny this too

The Turkish guide-books on sale in the Taksim Meydane offer this account of the 1923 Katastrofĕ: 'After the proclamation of the Republic, the Greeks who lived in the region returned to their own country [...].' Their own country? Returned? They had lived in the Pontos for nearly three thousand years. Their Pontian dialect was not understandable to twentieth-century Athenians

Επισκέπτης

so now you are suggesting that the pontians stole it from the persians and xenofon was lieing

wow ! - lets see ... pontian... anatolian ....  next you will be saying that you are of persian stock

i guess this is all bullshit too

or i suppose you gonna deny this too

Yes. I am , among other things, of Persian Stock what else should I bee as a Pontian?

Mithridates I Ktistes, as in the Builder of The Pontian Kingdom, was of Persian stock and so were all Pontian Kings after him.

Guest eyoismos

so now what are you saying ... that you come from the loins of a persian "king"
or that "Mithridates VI of Pontus claimed descent from Cyrus the Great, from the family of Darius the Great, the Regent Antipater and from the generals of Alexander the Great and later kings:"

should i from now on address you as your highness? :P

after all ... the generals of big alex must have boinked the living daylights of of the local populace ... and most of those generals ended up being kings  too

Guest eyoismos

did some googling and ...

wiki says Mithridates I Ctistes was the founder of the kingsom of pontus

pontos world says "More commonly known as Mithridates Ctistes or Mithridates III of Kios, he is widely considered as being the founder of the Kingdom of Pontus"

sounds almost like a pontian joke

who is right?

Επισκέπτης

are you pulling stuff out of your ass again?

I'm stating the fact that the Kingdom of Pontos was a Persian Kingdom and all its Kings were of Persian extraction.

The people of Anatolia are predominantly of Persian extraction and the native languages of the Kurds, Kapadokians and Armenians belong to the Iranian language family. Besides the various Iranian Peoples Anatolians trace their ancestry to Mingrelians as well. The Greeks were nothing more than a minority, a significant one yet still a minority, that occupied some coastal areas. And thats that. As an Anatolian I'm aware of my roots and honor the origins of my People. Only a moron would claim that Bicac and the Kemence have Ancient Greek Origins.

Guest FriendofGreece

Ajaxmonkey, there is no need for irony. I quoted from wiki to be quick, assuming you are Greek and know Greek history. Basically, I read about the Greek genocide here and there on the Internet. 

400 years is a very long time and I don't know of any other people than the Greeks who were under the rule of someone else for so long. Even Indians were only 200 years under the British. So I am surprised why you seem, to me at least, to defend the Ottomans. After all, they enslaved the Greeks. Nothing good can arise from enslavement, no matter if the masters are barbaric or less barbaric.

Επισκέπτης

You don't know history. The Ottomans did not enslave the Greeks. They took over the Eastern Part of the Roman empire. At that point the Greeks where already extinct. The western powers needed to break up the Ottoman empire so they assembled some Gypsy Ottoman mongrels labeld them Greeks gave them weapons and had them revolt. And that's how novo Graecia came into existence. Greek identity is a joke. The Ottoman empire was the rightfull successor of eastern Rome it didn't enslave anyone and certainly not imaginary "Greeks". But that's in the past. As far as the future is concerned lets hope that Turkey is up to the task of unifying the southern Balkans. Thats the only hope for the region.

Guest eyoismos

are you pulling stuff out of your ass again?

I'm stating the fact that the Kingdom of Pontos was a Persian Kingdom and all its Kings were of Persian extraction.

The people of Anatolia are predominantly of Persian extraction and the native languages of the Kurds, Kapadokians and Armenians belong to the Iranian language family. Besides the various Iranian Peoples Anatolians trace their ancestry to Mingrelians as well. The Greeks were nothing more than a minority, a significant one yet still a minority, that occupied some coastal areas. And thats that. As an Anatolian I'm aware of my roots and honor the origins of my People. Only a moron would claim that Bicac and the Kemence have Ancient Greek Origins.

The Kingdom of Pontus or Pontic Empire was a state of Greek and Persian origin

The division between coast and interior was also cultural. The coast was mainly Greek and focused on sea trade. The interior was occupied by the Anatolian Cappadocians and Paphlagonians ruled by an Iranian aristocracy which went back to the Persian empire

sounds like somebody has real issues and desperate for an identity, but seriously dipped into the well of denial

by the way, just so we can put the cat among the pigeons, they say that the one of the tribes of greece came from somewhere in anatolia. - would that mean that greeks are persians or anatolians?

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed