Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Επισκέπτης

Nothing wrong in Greece?

Guest eyoismos

i have this pet theory based on the premise of knowledge is power

egyptians kept their knowledge close to the chest , like sacred trade secrets, which allowed them to become great

greeks released their knowledge to the world ..... which allowed them to become great

aint the irony of it all a bitch

hahahahahaha

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Guest FriendofGreece

Yes, I understand there were gladiators for whom glory comes from there, however, who knows how many of prisoners/slaves were thrown there for the amusement of the masses. Greece had slaves but I don't think they were treated like that.

That is interesting what you said, Eyoismos. Although when you keep the secrets too much to yourselves, other people do not know how good you are, and the secrets are gone when your civilization is gone. That is the difference with Greece, it is that its knowledge is available to the world, and the world is a better place because of that.

By the way, India is claiming recently that they discovered the Pythagoras theorem. Does it make any sense?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Pythagorass-theorem-actually-an-Indian-discovery-Harsh-Vardhan/articleshow/45746060.cms

"Drawing attention to ancient Indian sciences, he said, "Our scientists discovered the Pythagoras theorem but we very sophisticatedly gave its credit to the Greeks. We all know we knew 'beej ganit' much before the Arabs, but very selflessly allowed it to be called algebra."

Guest eyoismos

Copernicus has been credited for coming up with the Heliocentrism of the planets , and all that, some time in the 16 century if i am not mistaken

but in the mean time Aristarchus of Samos was pretty much the real first guy, 19 centuries before,  who came up with that

so i would be surprised if what you brought to the fore was true

on the other hand, the ancients hadnt even bothered to invent copyrights and intellectual property .... thank god

in all seriousness though ... ancient india and sciences where in a class onto its own and made huge contributions -- and live everything else during those times ... it took time to "whittle out" to the others

as for so called violence for the entertainment of the masses as per Colosseum ......... throttling, rabbit punches , and all the rest was very much part of the ancient olympic games, and very far from the idealism and sophistication of our modern day variant. the stupid sods in ancient times did their thing in the buff, you know... buck naked

and violence was very much into play

and dare a woman be present desiring to see some eye candy .... among other reasons, that only horny females would come up with.... instant death penalty

pankration-vase.jpg

In this Pankration scene, the pankriatiast on the right is trying to gouge his opponent's eye and the ref is about to beat the living tar out of him with a stick

If you think that Ancient Greek boxing was violent, it's more like knitting when compared to pankration, the ancient form of mixed martial arts.

How violent was pankration? Let's just say that there were only two rules: no eye gouging and no biting (the referees carried sticks to beat those who violated the rules). Everything else - including choke holds, breaking fingers and neck - was legit. There was no weight division or time limits: the fight continued until a combatant surrendered, lost consciousness, or died.

so .... you still want to talk about barbarism? :P

Guest FriendofGreece

Yes. The difference is that those athletes are not thrown as fodder to the lions.  :P  Remember those poor Christians?

The thing that bothers me about the lack of copyright by the ancients is how much it costs to buy books on ancient Greeks. It is a good thing we can have free electronic versions now. 

Guest PatrickT

the bigger the arsehole, the bigger the need for a giant dildo to find satisfaction

somehow it all makes perfect sense now, and understandable

positive proof that a remembrance of a neanderthal is still living in Harheim

seems like this guy also was into steroids and "look how magnificent i am" attitudes

neanderthal-man-germany-050610jpg-2dd1c4

Neanderthals gave humans the bigger brain. Something you might lack, considering your behavior. Beside that why is stuff about ancient greece debated here? There are no greeks in greece. 

The ilk that lives there today has as much in common with the ancient greeks as George Bush has with Pocahontas.

Greece is a turkish / arab country by DNA now. 

Beside that eyosishsitismsusm seems to not know how a healthy young male looks. My guess is 500 years of turkish opression made greeks what they are today. Insulting me personal and claiming that i use steroids proves that. 

I'd think that Germany is more of a Turkish/arab country by now, based on people of Turkish/arab descent living in Germany today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_in_Germany

In fact, there are many German international soccer players who are of Turkish/Arabic origin:

Sami Khedira, Mesut Ozil, Mehmet Scholl, Gudogan, Nuri Sahin and others.

As you grow up you'll eventually understand that our world is much more complicated than you think it is.

Guest PatrickT

Beside that i might tell you whats wrong there on the working level. I was there two weeks to assist last spring and the biggest problem you face in greece is incompetence. You come there and want clear things, solve issues but its impossible. You have much people at charge who know nothing, not even about their jobs and duty and you have to explain evrything. They do nothing for their nation, just for themself. 

Another problem we saw there was absolute laziness. They claim to work 40h but they are just there. They basicly do nothing. A problem that my dolmetscher agreed. She said greece is a failed state and needs to be crushed. And she was greek, but grew up in germany. She called it "salvation through destruction". Greece seems to have no functional nationhood. Its just chaotic. 

Guest eyoismos

Neanderthals gave humans the bigger brain. Something you might lack, considering your behavior. Beside that why is stuff about ancient greece debated here? There are no greeks in greece. 

The ilk that lives there today has as much in common with the ancient greeks as George Bush has with Pocahontas.

Greece is a turkish / arab country by DNA now. 

Beside that eyosishsitismsusm seems to not know how a healthy young male looks. My guess is 500 years of turkish opression made greeks what they are today. Insulting me personal and claiming that i use steroids proves that. 

24.gif

βρε αυτό το μουνόπανο ..... άλλη ξεχωριστή περίτπωση, βρε παιδιά

άσε με τις κλανιές διαστημικών διαστάσεων που αμωλάει συνέχεια, πέρα που συνέχεια αλλάζει τα αρχικά λεγόμενα επειδή κατάλαβε οτι φαίνεται βούρ μαλάκας ... και μετά τα αλλάζει για να φαίνεται πιό λογικός ... αλλά στο τέλος φαίνεται εξίσου μαλάκας, πέρα που μάς έβγαλε νάνους που του φτάνουμε στο αφαλό στην πρώτη φάση, και στην δέυτερη μας έβγαλέ τούρκους , πέρα που στο πρώτο κείμενο συνταυτίζει τον αυτόν του με τους νεάντερθαλ, άσε που εξαφανίστηκαν οι νεάντερθαλ, μεγαλύτερο μυαλό και μυαλό κουρκούτη,  πέρα απο όλες τις μαλακίες του που συνέχεια αραδειάζει, τόσες φορές που ούτε πιά θυμάμαι ..... τι παρατηρούμε ... οτι δεν αρνήθηκε ποτέ οτι του αρέσουυν τα παλούκια εκεί που ο ήλιος δεν φέγγει - και έχει την αναίδεια κι απο πάνω να λέει οτι εμείς τον προσβάλουμε

αν είναι δυνατόν να τον πάρουμε ποτέ στά σοβάρα με αυτα που μας αραδειαζει συνέχεια. - σκέτο ενέκδοτο

Βαγγέλι το είπα και παλιά , και το λέω πάλι ... άλλαξε το εδώ ώστε όταν αλλάζει κάποιος κάτι .... ΝΑ ΦΑΙΝΟΝΤΑΙ όλες οι αλλαγές

όχι τίποτες άλλο ... για να δουμε τί καινούργιους τρόπους συμεριφοράς θα σκαρώσει

24.gif

Guest eyoismos

sadly we dont have any that i can remember , from greece ... apart from the music section, and they never participate in this section

but i will say this about greeks, especially in greece ...we have this standing joke ..... if there are 10 greeks, you will have 11 opinions and 12 political parties - hahahahaha

by the way FriendofGreece ,, i am curious ... you say you are from canada, but unless you are an Inuit perhaps, you probably have your roots from elsewhere. Could you enlighten us?

Guest FriendofGreece

Yes, that is another part of the Greek mentality that I like. Greeks have individual opinions, they seem to be very free in thinking. Sometimes, that may lead to unproductive arguments though, instead of channelling the various opinions into some common positive.

Guest eyoismos

sometimes ? ...we live for arguments ... ever seen a typical scene at a restaurant where they argue about who is going to foot the bill? (no let me pay the bill ....nooo no no no let me pick up he pieces .... you paid the last time, now its my treat - and all the variations

hahahahaha

but you are right .. far too often we kinda get stupid about it - i suppose its the "nature of the beast", so to speak

Guest PatrickT

24.gif

βρε αυτό το μουνόπανο ..... άλλη ξεχωριστή περίτπωση, βρε παιδιά

άσε με τις κλανιές διαστημικών διαστάσεων που αμωλάει συνέχεια, πέρα που συνέχεια αλλάζει τα αρχικά λεγόμενα επειδή κατάλαβε οτι φαίνεται βούρ μαλάκας ... και μετά τα αλλάζει για να φαίνεται πιό λογικός ... αλλά στο τέλος φαίνεται εξίσου μαλάκας, πέρα που μάς έβγαλε νάνους που του φτάνουμε στο αφαλό στην πρώτη φάση, και στην δέυτερη μας έβγαλέ τούρκους , πέρα που στο πρώτο κείμενο συνταυτίζει τον αυτόν του με τους νεάντερθαλ, άσε που εξαφανίστηκαν οι νεάντερθαλ, μεγαλύτερο μυαλό και μυαλό κουρκούτη,  πέρα απο όλες τις μαλακίες του που συνέχεια αραδειάζει, τόσες φορές που ούτε πιά θυμάμαι ..... τι παρατηρούμε ... οτι δεν αρνήθηκε ποτέ οτι του αρέσουυν τα παλούκια εκεί που ο ήλιος δεν φέγγει - και έχει την αναίδεια κι απο πάνω να λέει οτι εμείς τον προσβάλουμε

αν είναι δυνατόν να τον πάρουμε ποτέ στά σοβάρα με αυτα που μας αραδειαζει συνέχεια. - σκέτο ενέκδοτο

Βαγγέλι το είπα και παλιά , και το λέω πάλι ... άλλαξε το εδώ ώστε όταν αλλάζει κάποιος κάτι .... ΝΑ ΦΑΙΝΟΝΤΑΙ όλες οι αλλαγές

όχι τίποτες άλλο ... για να δουμε τί καινούργιους τρόπους συμεριφοράς θα σκαρώσει

24.gif

learn german or english and stop posting in a dead language which is doomed to go extinct anyways. 

Guest eyoismos

πάλι έκλασε το μουνόπανο και η μπόχα ....άααασε

ακόυς εκεί να έχει απαίτηση να κόψουμε την λαλιά μας

εδώ ελληνισμός βρε βλήμα ξεκάρφωτο,

μάθε ελληνικα και αν δεν σου αρέσει, πάρε τα μπογαλάκια σου και ξεκούμπα

Guest PatrickT

πάλι έκλασε το μουνόπανο και η μπόχα ....άααασε

ακόυς εκεί να έχει απαίτηση να κόψουμε την λαλιά μας

εδώ ελληνισμός βρε βλήμα ξεκάρφωτο,

μάθε ελληνικα και αν δεν σου αρέσει, πάρε τα μπογαλάκια σου και ξεκούμπα

How is your cancerious melanoma doing? Hope evrything is alright and has not spread to the brain. 

Guest eyoismos

the closest english expression would probably be "right on the money" or "hit the nail on the head" , "spot on" or "bullseye" even ...well.... "accurate"   ... you get the drift :)

"ola ta lefta" would be street greek, if you can call it that, but doesnt have any negative connotations to it, at least as far as i know, nor would it been considered slang - basically its how every day people might use it, amongst of course many other expressions with the same meaning

just curious ... how are you going about learning the language ?  doing a course? internet? learning via use of friends? etc

Guest FriendofGreece

Eyoismos, thanks for your explanations. I have a language book and some CDs, a Greek-English dictionary, there are some sites on the Internet too, and I listen to Greek music. I can watch Greek movies on YouTube. A little bit by little bit helps. I may register for a course later on when I have time.

Greek language is truly beautiful. Greek is the foundation of some other European languages like English and French. If you know Greek, learning those languages is much easier. 

I have noted that because the Greek language sounds so nice, even if a Greek song is so so, it still sounds nice, unlike songs in other languages.  :)

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed