Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Επισκέπτης

America just got greater.

Επισκέπτης

you and I are not in the public I. Nevertheless, I avoid vulgarity and I dislike people who are vulgar in social settings, be it in bars or parties. That's my personal preference. I'm not the bad words police.

Yes I think that a person on the spot light should watch his mouth. But then again you compare a stupid episode with some rap stars who not only make a living with profanity but who also live it. And you can't deny that they have greater influence on young man than an old fart like Trump. So why does that not bother you?

And seriously, you compare that pussy talk with Bill killing 2 dozen people in Khartum to distract from his Monica gate with Trumps speech? And what about Bill Clintons many visits on Epsteins Lolita Island resort? No problems with that either?

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες

I don't compare anything. You're constantly comparing Trump with the rappers. I'm only talking about Trump in this topic. Whether rap singers or Bill Clinton or whomever else bother me as well as people and personalities that's a different discussion and has nothing to do with what we're discussing here.

In this topic we're talking about Trump, and the bottom line is that as the president of the US (and even as a candidate), he should be watching his mouth and his actions, but he doesn't. Yet, 50 million people voted for him and they ferociously support him. The funniest part is that the majority of these people are conservative who would go bananas if some liberal candidate would have said half of what Trump has said throughout this campaign. That I find sickening.

Επισκέπτης

So he is unacceptable. In which world? The one that exists in your head?

Cause the real world didn't come to an end after it saw

Ciciolina for 2 terms in the Italian national assembly

Berlusconis Bunga Bunga parties

Teenage hookers at Italian state events

Wieners sexting to teenage girls

Epsteins Lolita Island resort

Bills Monica gate

Am I comparing? Of course I am. Its called putting things in context. I agree when you mention the hypocrisy of his conservative followers though. Those people would be hyperventilating if it were someone else.

I'm rather open minded. I may not like vulgar talk but it doesn't bother me much either. And the fact that I could google nudes of Americas first lady now isn't a bad thing either.

Get real man.

The pope masturbates. Does that shock you?

Guest FriendofGreece

Ajaxmonkey, in your example, Greece can of course slap tariffs on Indian imports, especially if Greece produces the same items. But if Greece does not produce the same items, they are just going to cost more to the Greek consumers. If it is an item of basic necessities, they would have to buy it, no way to escape the higher prices.

This morning, I scanned the title of an article saying that in advance of the proposed imposition of tariffs by Trump, some companies are already planning price increases - and that even before Trump enters the White House. (I can't find back the article.) The thing is that if an item is slapped a tariff, it is not only that item that increases in price but all the subsequent items of which that item is a component and other related items will increase in price. Because of those price increases, after they would want to increase transportation prices, energy prices, food prices and so on, and why, oh well you know, everything is expensive nowadays. I use only the example of an item to simplify what I want to show as snowballing prices. Well, everything goes up except wages that is. 

Slapping tariffs is one thing. Being willing to open factories, or whatever, to create jobs in the US is another thing. Trump proposes to reduce corporate tax rate to 15%, I think. Is that enough for US multinationals to bring back their operations - and the cash that is "stored" offshore - in the US? 

Επισκέπτης

There is nothing Greece needs from India. But even if this were the case, your argument collapses under the weight of its contradictions. India charges 15% import duties on shoes while a great part of Indians run around barefooted. So why don't you propose that India drops those tariffs to put shoes on the feet of her people? But you worry about Greek consumers. Right?

While charging 45% duties on Greek olive oil and 100% on Greek beet sugar India can afford nuclear weapons and a space program. The principled approach, for a country like Greece, would be to ban trade with India altogether. Or, at the very least, slap 100% import duties on Indian Cane sugar for example. Greeks who value the difference can pay the price for it and the others can use Greek beet sugar and support our domestic Industry. It really is that simple.

Well, there are of course EU regulations that grant Indian products preferential treatment but do those favour the Greek economy and Job market? The answer is NO. Those EU agreements favour the French, Brits and Germans of course. The EU big shots are selling guns, jet fighters, submarines and nuclear technology to India. And their corps invest into Indian slave labour. So what if Indian Imports destroy jobs in the French textile industry? Indian arms purchases create twice as many and way better paying jobs at Dasault and Thales.

So one has to question the EU and the one size fits all approach to International trade agreements. What is good for the EU is decided by the big nations within it. So in essence the EU is nothing more than French or German national ambition clad in internationalist garb. It gains the Germans a huge trade surplus while it bankrupts many of the smaller countries.

We, Greeks, have every reason to follow Trumps example and "Take our Country Back". Meaning: We need a National Trade policy that is based on reciprocity and benefits our people.

Guest FriendofGreece

What contradictions?

I was actually curious why India has a 15% tariff on shoes. I thought maybe it was because India produces some shoes. I can't propose anything for India to drop or to add tariffs, I don't really know what its industries are nor other factors that the Indian government took into consideration in establishing those tariffs. I know they produce textile products and kitchenware, electronics, and what else? In India's case, whether there are tariffs or not, most of the Indians are simply too poor to afford much, not even domestic products. And yes, I don't care about Indians, I let that to the Indian government.  A government that lets its people starve while piling up on nuclear weapons and having a space program so that it can pride itself to be a hegemon and bully its neighbours is living in a bubble. By the way, India just signed on an agreement to buy high speed trains from Japan, go figure. Each month, there is one million of youth joining the labour market and there are no jobs for them. You can just imagine the plethora of problems if India does not succeed in creating manufacturing jobs soon. 

Well, I have been a proponent of Greece leaving the EU for a very long time because the EU is for the benefit of Germany, France and the UK (the triumvirat as I call them). I have said in the past that the poor and small countries in the EU are there to replace the previous colonies those rich countries had, at least in the case of France, the UK (and the Netherlands). I don't know if Germany had colonies.

In my opinion, Greece needs trade, investments (domestic and foreign), enterprises (start-ups, innovation, etc.). Trade is only one aspect. It goes without saying that when negotiating deals, both sides try to get the best deals they can for their side. Hopefully, the Greek government can get deals that are beneficial to the Greek people. In considering how to make beneficial and fair deals, maybe tariffs are only one aspect to consider. There may be other factors in trade deals to consider, I don't know what, I have never read a trade deal.  

Nowadays, we have more and more multi-country trade deals. How can the interests of all those countries be taken into account, where different countries have different levels of development? Would the small and poor countries regret later to sign on to the deals, who can foresee the future? Right now, it is the US, the one who advanced the idea of the TPP being a trade deal with Pacific countries except China, which abandoned it. Why start it and abandon it after the others agreed to it? Mindboggling.  :wacko:

Επισκέπτης

As you said, different countries have different levels of economic and societal development and different type of resources. That's why bilateral trade agreements between Nations make sense and super national One Size Fits All treaties which are formulated by the Elites do not.

And I only mention India because it is such a huge country with an immense potential. It may be a mess but there are worst offenders than India. Bangladesh for example or the Ukraine for example where, after the collapse of the Hryvia, the minimum wage stands at 17 cents an hour. As opposed to India with 31 cents/hour.

And Ukraine is a country in Europe and almost everyone in their Government is a Billionaire. Same thing with EU associated Georgia where the minimum wage stands at whopping 5 cents/hour. So how the hell is the Greek wheat farmer going to compete with Ukrainian wheat or Georgian fruit growers? The produce of the latter is bought up by Turkish merchants and a good part of it is dumped on the Greek Market where it pushes the Greek growers out of business.

So we can either lower our labour cost to Ukrainian/Georgian/Bangladeshi levels OR we just ignore EU negotiated Trade agreements and impose Tariffs against countries who exploit their workforce to an extend that borders on slavery. The mantra that Tariffs are always bad doesn't hold up to closer examination.

Guest FriendofGreece

Tariffs have always existed, but in a more focused context on specific items, for example, if there is suspicion of dumping, or the exporting government subsidies on certain industries, etc.

I think my discussion on tariffs arises more in the context of Trump's proposal to impose tariffs across the board on Chinese and Mexican goods. It is a significant action that I am not sure will create jobs in the US, at least not to the large scale imagined by Trump. I read in an article that for an iPhone that sells $700, the value added by China is only $10. The rest of the value added comes from design in the US and other component parts from other countries. In China, I believe,  it is only labour as the parts are imported by China and assembled there. Ajaxmonkey, I believe you know better than me about these things. Will Apple move the assembly to the US while there are cheaper labour places than China? Tim Cooke already said no. 

Επισκέπτης

I don't care much about Trump. At the end he is another billionaire who will do whats best for billionaires. Nevertheless, he put Tariffs back on the table and that's worth something.

As you said, the labour cost that goes into an 700 USD iPhone is even way less than 10 bucks. And NO Apple will not move assembly to the US. Would be bad for the share holder value.

But if a company like Apple refuses to pay fair labour wages despite their sky high profit margins where the hell are fair wages supposed to come from?

Ireland found a revenue stream, in violation of EU regulations, it provides a tax heaven for Apple to park capital and avoid 18 bil in taxes.

And it may work out, in the short run, for a small country like Ireland. But this is not the way to go in my opinion. This globalisation bullshit needs to be re-evaluated.

Επισκέπτης

The TPP story is just hilarious. There is a bunch of countries, they line up behind America, building a united front against the Chinese Threat and then... Each and everyone of those countries goes and signs bilateral trade agreements with China. Including the US.

And now Trump says he'll scrap it. The Chinese are laughing their asses off.

Guest FriendofGreece

The workers are always the losers. Because of the huge disparity in incomes in China, some Chinese people wish a return to Mao's communist times (before the Cultural Revolution) where at least everyone was poor. 

As I mentioned before, maybe free trade per se is not the culprit, but the elite that takes advantage of free trade to profit from the workers who work at slaves' salaries and from workers whom they put on unemployment. We look around and around, but the ones laughing all the way to the bank are the elites and nothing is being done to redistribute the wealth more equally and fairly. 

With the TPP being scrapped, China is promoting the multi-country AIIB, which is gaining more hold, at the APEC meeting in Peru this week. China has been inviting the US to join the AIIB from the beginning, unlike the US which excluded China from joining the TPP. Apparently, there are people in the US now advising Obama/Trump to join the AIIB ... and the New Silk Road.

Επισκέπτης

Free Trade as IT IS NOW is to blame because this kind of Free Trade was created by the elites and serves the elites. I'm not against Trade. To the contrary. The world needs more FAIR TRADE and everyone needs to remember that Economy is not an end in itself but the means to make peoples lives better everywhere.

If that doesn't happen, the world is fucked. Resources plundered, biodiversity gone, population explosion in the least developed countries. Poverty, ignorance, religious fanatism everywhere. We are on the way to the Dark ages. A few weeks ago I was browsing news sites and read the headlines:

Leprosy making a comeback

Girl got burned alive cause she didn't follow Islamic dresscode.

Two dozen unbelievers beheaded near Mossul.

Those news could have come straight from the darkest of the dark ages. Frankly, I think we are fucked no matter what. Our species doesn't have what it takes to pass the test of time.

Guest eyoismos

just to put some matters into perspective ....

trumppeople.jpg

and yes , i know it is false, but it sounds awfully  close to the truth , both in terms of what he might have said, and in terms of the thinking of many that voted for him

was he the better choice of the two,, probably ... for america that is

where there better choices ... hell yeah .... but how many of them have the balls, let aloe the intelligence and capabilities,  to play the dirty politics game?

very few if any i would think

Επισκέπτης

eyo:

was he the better choice of the two,, probably ... for america that is

apparently elections aren't about who's better anymore. Its down to personal preference. You pick whichever disaster you consider slightly less intolerable. Or just say screw it and stay home.

Guest eyoismos

TRUMP'S FIRST DAY AT THE OVAL OFFICE

First briefing by the CIA, Pentagon and FBI :

Trump : We must destroy ISIS immediately.

CIA : We cannot do that, sir. We created them along with Turkey, Saudi, Qatar and others.

Trump : The Democrats created them.

CIA : We created ISIS, sir. You need them or else you would lose funding from the natural gas lobby.

Trump : Stop funding Pakistan; let India deal with them.

CIA : We can't do that. It is Modi in India and not Manmohan.

Trump : So what ?

CIA : Modi will cut Baluchistan out of Pak.

Trump : I don't care.

CIA : India will have peace in Kashmir. They will stop buying our weapons. They will become a superpower. We have to fund Pakistan to keep India busy in Kashmir.

Trump : But you have to destroy the Taliban.

CIA : Sir, we can't do that. We created the Taliban to keep Russia in check during the 80s. Now they are keeping Pakistan busy and away from their nukes.

Trump : We have to destroy terror sponsoring regimes in the Middle East. Let us start with the Saudis.

Pentagon : Sir, we can't do that. We created those regimes because we wanted their oil. We can't have democracy there, otherwise their people will get that oil and we cannot let their people own it.

Trump : Then, let us invade Iran.

Pentagon : We cannot do that either, sir.

Trump : Why not ?

CIA : We are talking to them, sir.

Trump : What ? Why ?

CIA : We want our stealth drone back. If we attack them, Russia will obliterate us as they did to our buddy ISIS in Syria. Besides we need Iran to keep Israel in check.

Trump : Then let us invade Iraq again.

CIA : Sir, our friends (ISIS) are already occupying 1/3rd of Iraq.

Trump : Why not the whole of Iraq ?

CIA : We need the Shi'ite government of Iraq to keep ISIS in check.

Trump : I am banning Muslims from entering US.

FBI : We can't do that.

FBI : Then our own population will become fearless.

Trump : I am deporting all illegal immigrants to south of the border.

Border patrol : You can't do that, sir.

Border patrol : If they're gone, who will build the wall ?

Trump : I am banning H1Bs.

USCIS : You cannot do that.

Trump : Why ?

Chief of staff : If you do so we'll have to outsource White House operations to Bangalore, which is in India.

Trump : What the hell should I do ? ? ?

CIA : Enjoy the White House, sir ! We will take care of the rest ! ! !

God bless America !

Guest FriendofGreece

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed