Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Hellenism.Net

The Mysterious Mr. Zedzed: The Wickedest Man in the World

Sir Basil Zaharoff was the archetypal "merchant of death"—an arms salesman who made a career out of selling to both sides in a conflict.

Late in November 1927, an elderly Greek man sat in his mansion in Paris and tended a fire. Every time it flickered and threatened to die, he reached to one side and tossed another bundle of papers or a leather-bound book into the grate. For two days the old man fed the flames, at one point creating such a violent conflagration that his servants worried he would burn the whole house down. By the time he had finished, a vast pile of confidential papers, including 58 years’ worth of diaries that recorded every detail of a most scandalous career, had been turned to ash. Thus the shadowy figure whom the press dubbed “the Mystery Man of Europe” ensured that his long life would remain, for the most part, an impenetrable enigma.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-mysterious-mr-zedzed-the-wickedest-man-in-the-world-97435790/?no-ist

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Guest eyoismos

fascinating story , and certainly something i did not know anything about

real pity that he decided to burn up his memoirs so we could read his dubious legacy posthumously

not for any other reason, but that he kept from history all those he would have ...well.... burned

What I find interesting is that there are many historical facts which happened only a hundred or so years ago and for which we know nothing about. Who knows how little we really know about the human history since the ancient times.

In most cases we just assume things based on the little information we uncover. In other cases we just "create" our histories based on the descriptions of the victors or of those who knew how to write and had the means to maintain written records of things.

In reality what we know as an "accepted" history of the world may be a mix of true and made up stories.

The past is full of little stories we know very little about: https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/ed-vulliamy-helena-smith/british-perfidy-in-greece-story-worth-remembering

There's a reason for this. Those in power dictate what the rest of the population needs to know (or as we say, the victors write history...).

Guest eyoismos

great find admin

and i cant  even say how many time i read the article just so i can absorb it

i will say this though ... it somehow justifies my non-sympathy towards the brits, who...well... yes, they where a major contributor, but not only, to liberation from turks and germans ....yet .... i cant stop thinking about, not only what is mentioned in he article, but also there hand in the goings on of cyrus, not only before its independance, but also after ... like being "a guarantor" of cyprus , without not also taking into account their actions before independance

however, and by the same token,  it also strongly confirms and reaffirms my strongest of beliefs that the biggest enemy of the greeks are the greeks themselves 

Guest eyoismos

prompted by this ... i just had to dig some more

http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/Δεκεμβριανά

Την Ακρόπολη την κατείχε ο ΕΛΑΣ, και η ηγεσία του ζήτησε την απόσυρση των μαχητών από το μνημείο όπως ζητήθηκε από τους Βρετανούς για μη πληγεί το μνημείο. Αμέσως στην Ακρόπολη εγκαταστάθηκε Βρετανικό πυροβολικό από όπου με βολές όλμων βάλλονταν εναντίον θέσεων του ΕΛΑΣ σε όλη την περίμετρο του βράχου (Μακρυγιάννη, Θησείο, Φιλοπάππου, Ψυρρή). Ο ΕΛΑΣ έδωσε προφορική εντολή που απαγόρευε την απάντηση των βολών για να μη πληγεί το μνημείο.

i think that says a lot about the brits

on the other hand, truth be told ...

Η απροκάλυπτη επέμβση των βρετανών στα εσωτερικά ζητήματα της Ελλάδας και γενικά στην απελευθερωμένη Ευρώπη, αντίθετα με όσα προβλέπονταν περί σεβασμού της επιθυμίας των λαών στη "Χάρτα του Ατλαντικού", προκάλεσε μια θυελώδη συνεδρίαση του αγγλικού κοινοβούλιου, όπου στις 8 Δεκεμβρίου ο βουλευτής των Εργατικών Σέυμορ Κοκς έφτασε στο σημείο να παραλληλίσει τις ενέργειες του Ουίνστον Τσώρτσιλ να επιβάλει τις κυβερνήσεις της αρεσκείας του, με εκείνες του Αδόλφου Χίτλερ να διορίζει γκάουλάϊτερ στις κατεχόμενες από τον Άξονα χώρες

Δημιουργήστε ένα λογαριασμό ή συνδεθείτε για να σχολιάσετε

Χρειάζεται να είστε χρήστης για να μπορέσετε να σχολιάσετε

Δημιουργία λογαριασμού

Εγγραφείτε για ένα νέο λογαριασμό στην κοινότητά μας. Είναι εύκολο!

Εγγραφή νέου λογαριασμού

Συνδεθείτε

Έχετε ήδη λογαριασμό? Συνδεθείτε εδώ.

Συνδεθείτε τώρα

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed