Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Guest FriendofGreece

Your favorite quote or proverb, etc.

Guest FriendofGreece

It is Isaac Asimov who said that, but I know the feeling very well.  :D They annoy us because they keep talking while we want them to shut up for us to talk. 

Another one:

"If a man insisted always on being serious, and never allowed himself a bit of fun and relaxation, he would go mad or become unstable without knowing it." (Herodotus)

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Επισκέπτης

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Not sure who said this, but hits the nail on the head  :D 

Damn wanted to quote and thanked you by mistake.

And who the fuck would say something like that? People who THINK they know everything perhaps?

Guest eyoismos

some say that the greatest motivation for success is the fear of failure

strangely enough, they all so say that the reason for failure IS the fear of failure

ultimately the solution to the story is fuckitall-300x135.png

and go for it with all you got

moral of the story.... when an opportunity arises, grab it like a hyena grabs a carcass and dont let go

and never be intimidated by holier than though almighty top of the chain lions that dare to get in your way

Επισκέπτης

damn ! and all this time i thought i needed more time to make more money, to buy more of other peoples time, to make even more money

now i am confused

:P

I work work work to earn money and then I buy time (meaning I pay someone to take care of my customers) so that I can take off for a couple of weeks. Does this clarify it?

Guest eyoismos

in other words ... you are buying time .... same diffs .... - you just phrased it differently

in case you didnt realize ...i was pulley a mickey on admin about not being able to buy time as well

time is a commodity, just like everything else

and everything is for sale, the price varies, and some commodities  are priceless .... like when you run out of time and the bloody bastard with the scythe decides to visit and stake his claim

frigging communists ... they are everywhere, even in hades

:P

by the way ... the " now i am confused" bit was self mockery ....as in ... how much is enough, confused

:)

Our time on this earth is getting shorter and shorter as days go by. You can't buy more time. Our time is limited and you cannot replenish the time you lose.

What you're saying is that you can allow yourself some "free time" by paying someone else to do the job you're usually doing for you. This is not buying time though. In essence, if you were not doing the job you're currently doing all this time would be your to spend somewhere else. (so you wouldn't have to work harder/more time so that you can pay someone else to do your job so that you'll have some free time to enjoy yourself. Do you see the irony here?  :D ).

People are strange this way. Sometimes when I go to Greece for vacation to relax and I see the fishermen and all other people in some small villages living those simple lives I wonder if it's me who's doing things wrong. I have to work 11 months/year to take one month off, spend a ton of money to fly my family to Greece and spend a relaxing month there, when those villagers live a simpler life 12 months out of a year, with little worries (and very little to their name of course...). Do they really need big houses, expensive cars and nice clothes to be happy? Absolutely not. I too grew up without having any of these and I lived a very happy childhood. 

I think that our priorities are screwed up and there's no one to blame but ourselves.

A month ago I decided to quit a pretty good job (in terms of pay, status etc.) because it wouldn't give me the time and flexibility to be around for my kids (as they're playing sports after school and I wanted to be involved to coach them, watch them etc.). When I spoke to the president of the company about this, while I was giving him my resignation, he said "what you're doing is admirable, not very many people would have the balls to put their careers on hold for their kids". So my simple question back to him was "ok, but if you think what I'm doing is the right thing, and you feel the same way - you feel you need to spend more time with your loved ones - why don't you quit too, take a pay cut, work less and spend more time doing things you enjoy doing?".

His answer was typical of what most of us would say when we're cornered like this: "oh you know, I have responsibilities. I can't just drop everything. I'm also used to be living a lifestyle which requires me to work long stressful hours and make a lot of money". 

I have no further advise for people like him...I guess each one of us sees happiness and self-fulfillment in a different way.

At the end of the day, and going back to what I said at the beginning of this post, your time on this earth is limited. No matter how much money you make you can't buy time. We'll all live to our 70s-80s-90s (if we're lucky! - some illness may take us tomorrow for that matter) and as we grow older our quality of life will keep getting worst and worst, no matter how much money we have.

You won't be able to eat what you want, you won't be able to walk as much as you used to when you were younger, you won't be able to do many things you took for granted when you were young. You only have one life and one opportunity to enjoy it and share it with the people you care about. We don't realize all this when we're young as at that time the end seems too far away to worry about. As we grow older though and the end becomes a reality which is getting closer and closer we start re-evaluating our lives. Some of us start tweaking things and making changes while others continue wasting their lives as if they're going to live forever.

Guest eyoismos

now you are getting technical, long winded and philosophical ..... time to get another vacation. to recover from the one you just had

he he he he

but yeah... all that above, too true, ....was covered by that bit i said about being confused - you just had to make a thesis out of it

hahahahaha

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed