Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο

I was in Zakynthos (next to Kefalonia) in mid-July. The Ionian islands are very beautiful, Zakynthos, Kefalonia, Ithaki, Lefkada, Kerkyra, all beautiful islands with wonderful beaches.

Enjoy your vacation Brenda. We just came back yesterday. Greece was as wonderful as ever.

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες

Thank you, all. I DID have a great time. Just flew home last night and, as always, wished I could have stayed longer in my beloved Ellatha. Family is fine, weather was good, although more rain than I've ever experienced in August. Counting the days to go back...unfortunately, not until same time next year.

Welcome back Brenda. Were you in Peloponissos? I seem to remember that your husband was from Peloponissos.

We stayed in Kylini for a week in early August and it was super hot and humid. I've never experienced so much humidity before anywhere else in Greece.

Are you staying up in the mountains or do you have a home closer to the sea? We drove by Tripoli this summer on our way back from Pyrgos, and also last summer on our way back from Kalamata. That new highway connecting Athens to Kalamata (and Tripoli) must have been a godsend for people in that area. I remember when I was a kid the drive to that part of Peloponissos was a major pain in the ass as you'd have to drive through the mountains. It now only takes around 2 - 2.5 hrs to get from Athens to Tripoli, and around 3-3.5 hrs to get to Kalamata. 

Just before my husband got sick we built a house in his village in the mountains. But it's an easy drive to Astros beach. I, too, remember very well the old road from Athens to Tripoli. On my first trip in 1977...when the airport was still in the city...it was a long, horrendous, late night drive through the mountains. It's so much better now.

Guest HappyAsHellas

Just back from a fantastic week in Kefalonia and I forgot just how beautiful this island is. Still sad to see so many ruins of the 1953 earthquake, although it does seem to add a special character to many of the villages. We managed to nip over to Ithaca for a day trip and Kioni is absolutely stunning - typical small Greek fishing village but even more beautiful than most. Food was excellent and now sitting in cloudy, rainy Scotland I find myself yearning to be back in Agia Sofia bay, eating octopus and χοριατηκη, drinking a nice cool beer in the warmth of the Greek summer. Ah well, October ain't too far away........

I visited Kefalonia just for a day this summer (I was in Lefkada and took a boat tour around the island which also took us to Fiskardo in Kefalonia). Fiskardo is a gorgeous little town, very picturesque. All the Ionian islands are lush and beautiful.

Are you going back in October??? I'm jealous!  :)

Guest HappyAsHellas

Going back to Kos in October as we haven't been there for about 15 years. Staying in Mastichairi which is a nice quiet little place and handy for the ferry to Kalymnos as well. Hoping the island hasn't changed too much but google earth shows a rather disturbing amount of all inclusive hotels at various points around the island. A couple right next to Mastichairi so I'm hoping it hasn't been too drastic for the locals. I understand they bring some employment to the area but on the other hand no one eats out or goes for drinks at the local villages which is quite depressing.

I haven't been to Kos in 20 years. The island has changed quite a bit since then from what I hear (I have a cousin there who owns one of those touristic shops). The island was busy this summer despite the earthquake and the issues with the migrants. However, as you said, most people now stay in all inclusives so the local shops suffer.

I've been to Lefkada several times. No connection to it, we just like the island. We stayed in the Nikiana area, at a hotel called "Ionian Blue". It's supposedly a 5-star hotel, but it's not really up to the North American standards. The price was decent (I think we paid around 180 Euros/night for half-board) and the views were amazing.

It's a difficult, and long drive, from Athens to Lefkada. This is why many tourists avoid it. Beautiful island though. Now that the new highway is completed (from Athens to Ioannina through the Rio bridge) it's hopefully going to attract more visitors.