Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο

Very interesting interview of Yanis Varoufakis at the New York Times Magazine. I'd encourage to read through it if you have time (it's pretty long...).

Here's an interesting piece:

“There’s no doubt that this economy now is far worse off in the last two months as a result of our hard bargaining.”

He described that change as a trade-off, an investment in a better future.
“And an investment always involves a short-term cost,” he said.

I asked him about that short-term cost. Is he worried about the Greek economy today?
Terrified,” he said. “Terrified and aghast.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/magazine/a-finance-minister-fit-for-a-greek-tragedy.html?_r=0

Even though I lately came to doubt Yanis I still cannot not like him. He's a character and he seems and sounds honest. I do believe that he got involved with all this because he truly believed that he could help Greece out of this mess.

What I find hard to reconcile with is that after 4 months of Syriza in power Greece is in a worse negotiating position as compared to where we were 4 months earlier. To me this shows that Syriza (and Yanis as the finance minister) were very poorly prepared to face the Europeans. They had no clear plan or clear fresh ideas to suggest and they've been wasting precious time since. As it is right now Greece is a few short days from bankruptcy and at the complete mercy of the Europeans. It's completely up to them at this point whether they'll pull the plug and let Greece out of the Euro. The Greek government (Syriza) has absolutely no say in this decision anymore. They're just waiting for the Europeans' next move and hoping for the best.

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες

Henis all hot air and has zero competence. He is openly called incompetent from other finance ministers. He gives boring lectures and interviews and does not work much.

I'd say the opposite about his lectures and interviews. He's usually very interesting and direct (unlike most other politicians). He also seems to work very hard these days to make things happen for Greece, what makes you think that he doesn't work much? That's a very unjust stereotype attached to all Greeks.

Guest eyoismos

Henis all hot air and has zero competence. He is openly called incompetent from other finance ministers. He gives boring lectures and interviews and does not work much.

dont you love parrots that repeat what they hear over and over again

Bloomberf:

Euro-area finance chiefs said Varoufakis’s handling of the talks was irresponsible and accused him of being a time-waster, a gambler and an amateur, a person familiar with the conversations said, asking not to be named because the discussions were private.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-24/varoufakis-said-to-take-hammering-from-frustrated-euro-ministers

Peter Spiegel (one of V's hardest critics) :

It is 100% accurate @yanisvaroufakis not personally insulted at Riga #eurogroup. Words "gambler", "amateur", "time-waster" never uttered

Fabrizio Goria :

@SpiegelPeter @yanisvaroufakis So, who is the liar?

Peter Spiegel :

@FGoria Most news organisations never reported @yanisvaroufakis was personally insulted. Ask those who reported it.

https://twitter.com/SpiegelPeter/status/601348216920088576

needless to say the german media didnt hesitate to repeat .... well ... you know

i guess V is a thorn in the "big boys" sides and they dont like it at all

as for the stereotypes .... come on admin ...we are talking about a german here...you know ...from the land that accused greeks of being lazy and crooks  ....and then backtrack and trying to make themselves look like they smell of roses and ....

German Chancellor admitted that the stereotypes claiming Greeks are not hardworking people are wrong, however her statements from May 2011, when she scolded Greeks for taking longer holidays than Germans are still carved in the memories of people in Greece -

i swear ... if i didnt know better , i would have thought i was "watching" up to now, unreleased episodes of "the hunger games" ..with all the propaganda "media releases" going back and forth

but i wll say this ... i have reached a point whereby just about everything random , and not thought through, that patrick utters with a huge amount of salt of amusement

Guest PatrickT

Varoufakis is political dead. I think even Tsipras realized this since he pushed him out of any negotiations. 

Varoufakis amateur handling aside, he simply can´t do the job. He fails at anything. We don´t want hear hour long boring speeches and hot air. As Schäuble said, we want hard numbers and calculations. 

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed