#1 palikari

palikari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

my 1st time going to this.

I got there late due to mix-up in start time, but the float parade itself only lasted like 45 minutes.

After that, singing of "Th Ypermaxw" and Greek national anthem.

Followed by a few speeches.

A couple of the speakers mentioned how people say "the greek thing in Detroit area is not the same".  

Which by my observations is true.  Most of the old restaurants owned by off the boaters are gone.  The existing ones dont have that good food.  And are run by the greek americans.

Then they brought a dance group out.  Well they did one ethnic dance that wasn't kalamatiano.  Then the next song was kalamatiano, and they tried to get "everybody" to join in and dance.  That lasted only a few minutes before everybody dispersed and went home or to the restaurants to eat.  How lame.  You bring out a dance group and they only do ONE DANCE?  They should have had them do a suite of 6 or 7 dances, make into an actual performance.  And then they wonder why the greekness is "not the same".

Anyway, it was a gorgeous warm day and still worth seeing once.  One of the speakers was an older priest from Greece (serving one of the Detroit area churches), so naturally I enjoyed hearing him more than the other speakers.  And overall it did feel like a greek event.  They also sang the Canadian National Anthem, but nobody seemed to care or acknowledge it or sing along.  I loved it though.  Always have loved it.

Who read this topic? (Total Views: 7) , nikos757, HappyAsHellas, palikari, eyoismos, admin, Lekatis,

#2 eyoismos

eyoismos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:10 PM

independence day ?

do you guys in  Detroit use a different calendar to the rest of the world?

:P

#3 palikari

palikari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:04 PM

i dont get what you're asking.

It was the parade for Mar. 25.  Granted, it was held a few weeks after that.

#4 eyoismos

eyoismos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

exactly my point ... Detroit is in a time warp

hahahaha

just messing with you

but seriously ... why several weeks later? i mean ... we too are in the disapora , ok... we dont have public parades and all that , ... too small a community, but we always celebrate Independence day at our community center/club on the sunday closest to the said date with all the relative you know what amongst ourselves

so i am totally baffled why like a month later

#5 eyoismos

eyoismos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

was curious about the parade so i looked it up

http://www.freep.com...arade/83163168/

what was interesting was that there are "150,000 people of Greek descent living in metro Detroit"

#6 palikari

palikari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:55 AM

many cities have it much later than Mar 25.

Chicago also was on the same day as Detroit.

Thing I've heard is that around Mar 25 is spring break from schools so many people and kids are not in town.

And the 150K includes half greeks and quarter greeks.  Detroit greeks are 100 years old.  So, lotta generations have passed, meaning more people of greek descent.  Mostly americanized but, still beong a northern city, there is some good greekness there too.  Chicago and NYC greekdom is more recent though.  More greeks from the immigration  wave of the 50s and 60s.

#7 eyoismos

eyoismos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:28 AM

from what i read .....

On April 17, 2016, the Greektown neighborhood in Chicago celebrated its annual Hellenic Heritage Parade, highlighting the rich culture and traditions of Greeks here in Chicago.

hardly the same as " Greek Independence day parade" ... at least officially according to the title

but here is a question .... do greeks in chicago , detroit, and elsewhere states side, celebrate greek easter depending on the convenience of spring breaks?

(tongue in cheek)

here is another question ... how many of the 150K actually know how to speak greek, irrelevant of degree

(half tongue in cheek, half in sadness in the slow loss of identity)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Hellenism Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  sprinter : (11 December 2017 - 08:10 AM)

Βέρτης Νίκος - Live Tour 10 Χρόνια (2Cd + Dvd)

@  sprinter : (11 December 2017 - 07:58 AM)

Γιώργος Νταλάρας - Με Δυο Παπούτσια Πάνινα (1997)

@  takis5103 : (10 December 2017 - 10:51 AM)

sfakianakis

@  logarithmo : (09 December 2017 - 04:43 PM)

ΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ ΝΤΑΛΑΡΑΣ / ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ - ΓΙΑΝΝΕΝΑ ΜΕ ΔΥΟ ΠΑΠΟΥΤΣΙΑ ΠΑΝΙΝΑ / GORAN BREGOVIC

@  bilou75 : (06 December 2017 - 03:16 PM)

ΠΙΤΣΑ ΠΑΠΑΔΟΠΟΥΛΟΥ

@  habs021 : (29 November 2017 - 01:23 PM)

ΒΕΡΤΗΣ ΝΙΚΟΣ - LIVE TOUR 10 ΧΡΟΝΙΑ παιδια δεν ειναι ενεργο κανενα λινκ.. λεει file not found..

@  habs021 : (29 November 2017 - 01:01 PM)

ΒΟΥΛΓΑΡΑΚΗ + ΣΤΟΚΑΣ - ΛΑΒΥΡΙΝΘΟΙ

@  tsihlini : (29 November 2017 - 12:59 AM)

ΡΕΜΟς

@  takis7 : (17 November 2017 - 09:53 AM)

Ενταξει ολα ... σε ευχαριστω πολύ

@  takis7 : (17 November 2017 - 09:52 AM)

test