#1 FriendofGreece

FriendofGreece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:51 AM

Somehow, I am under the impression, when I was in Greece, that not much has changed in the way how Greeks are living from the way they used to live. Has Greece changed much over the past two decades?

http://www.pappaspos...r-costas-manos/

Who read this topic? (Total Views: 11) , jturbo, HappyAsHellas, DiscoHristo, , Brenda, zeus008, journals7, admin, FriendofGreece, Jen,

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:29 PM

Yes, Greece has changed a lot since the 1960's. Those are not typical photos of the 60's either. Those are photos of the Greek countryside in the '60s. Life in the big cities was much different even back then.

I left from Greece to live permanently in Canada in 1997 and I've been going back almost every summer since. I've seen pretty big changes over these past 20+ years in many areas. From lifestyle to everything else. So much so that whenever I go back now people can tell right away that I'm not a "local". But that's normal. Greece moves forward and most of us who move away, no matter how often we go back to visit, we still "live" in the past. Greece in my mind is stuck in the late '90s, the time I left. No matter how often I visit that's the Greece I know and "understand".

#3 FriendofGreece

FriendofGreece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

It is true that they are pictures of the countryside. I remember how life was simple there in the villages. I hear that the Greek youth has changed as they have become more Americanized. Is that to a big part correct?

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

The youth started becoming more Americanized since the 50's. This is not something new. Especially after the 80's most kids in big cities in Greece started living a similar lifestyle to their counterparts in Europe and the US.

I remember that when I moved to Canada in '97 (I was in my early 20's at the time) I found that most of the people I started hanging out with (Canadians, Americans, other Europeans etc.) had very similar upbringing and experiences as I did. 

In talking with them I realized that we would listen to the same songs, watch the same movies and more or less do similar things growing up as kids no matter if we grew up in Toronto, Athens, Berlin, Paris or anywhere else in Europe or North America. Of course it goes without saying that growing up in Greece we had much less as compared to kids in the US/Canada and western Europe, but overall the "experiences" were the same or very similar.

This is globalization. You take a kid who grew up in Athens, you throw them in Toronto or New York or whatever other big city and they will eventually, in relatively short time, be assimilated. I think that this mostly started happening after the 80's.

#5 FriendofGreece

FriendofGreece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:48 PM

In a way, I guess that globalization is good. On the other hand, being more uniform globally may make the good parts of a national culture to be forgotten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Hellenism Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  logarithmo : (13 December 2017 - 12:22 PM)

Την καλημέρα μας και Καλές Γιορτές να έχουμε !!! Τεράστιε sprinter ;)

@  sprinter : (11 December 2017 - 08:10 AM)

Βέρτης Νίκος - Live Tour 10 Χρόνια (2Cd + Dvd)

@  sprinter : (11 December 2017 - 07:58 AM)

Γιώργος Νταλάρας - Με Δυο Παπούτσια Πάνινα (1997)

@  takis5103 : (10 December 2017 - 10:51 AM)

sfakianakis

@  logarithmo : (09 December 2017 - 04:43 PM)

ΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ ΝΤΑΛΑΡΑΣ / ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ - ΓΙΑΝΝΕΝΑ ΜΕ ΔΥΟ ΠΑΠΟΥΤΣΙΑ ΠΑΝΙΝΑ / GORAN BREGOVIC

@  bilou75 : (06 December 2017 - 03:16 PM)

ΠΙΤΣΑ ΠΑΠΑΔΟΠΟΥΛΟΥ

@  habs021 : (29 November 2017 - 01:23 PM)

ΒΕΡΤΗΣ ΝΙΚΟΣ - LIVE TOUR 10 ΧΡΟΝΙΑ παιδια δεν ειναι ενεργο κανενα λινκ.. λεει file not found..

@  habs021 : (29 November 2017 - 01:01 PM)

ΒΟΥΛΓΑΡΑΚΗ + ΣΤΟΚΑΣ - ΛΑΒΥΡΙΝΘΟΙ

@  tsihlini : (29 November 2017 - 12:59 AM)

ΡΕΜΟς

@  takis7 : (17 November 2017 - 09:53 AM)

Ενταξει ολα ... σε ευχαριστω πολύ