32 replies to this topic

#1 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:37 AM

I don't know about other countries but here in England it feels that whether you're Greek from Greece or Cyprus that we're just declining, either not having as many kids or just not going with your own. Theres loads of turks in England and they produce like rabbits! I feel we've lost that patriotism we once had. 

Who read this topic? (Total Views: 10) , , admin, ajaxmonkey, Brenda, HappyAsHellas, Lekatis, palikari, , cyprusellas,

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:17 AM

Most muslim families have many kids (more than 2 for sure...), while most Greeks (and most Europeans for that matter) have much smaller families (1 or 2 kids). If this trend continues then you're right, in a few years we'll be overcome by hordes of muslims :)  :)

#3 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Most muslim families have many kids (more than 2 for sure...), while most Greeks (and most Europeans for that matter) have much smaller families (1 or 2 kids). If this trend continues then you're right, in a few years we'll be overcome by hordes of muslims  :)  :)

very true! I'm based in england but I hear in Cyprus and Greece their not as Greek as they once were if that makes any sense? some families still hold their traditional Greek values but but as I said as things go on will be a race that once was!. I know millionaires who struggle to have 3 kids as it might drain their style of living

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Things change, and people change. Our way of life has changed too over the years. Don't expect Greeks (or Cypriots) of today to lead the same life as their parents and grandparents.

#5 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

I know things change, people change etc but it's sad. I'm not saying to lead the same life im just saying try and live some aspects so our heritage doesn't die out, I don't know where your based but here in England its a dieing race. 

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

What kind of things would you want to see retained as part of our heritage? I live in Canada.

#7 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

Well there's a majority of Greeks who can't speak Greek in England and this is usually because the second generation Greeks for some reason just choose to speak english, even though they know Greek perfectly well. I have cousins who cant speak a word or even understand Greek but their parents are fluent. So speaking your mother tongue would be a start lol

secondly if you can financially afford to try having more kids, like i said previously I know millionaires or people who are well off and they get scared of the thought of having 2 maybe 3 kids, but yet these turks, kurds, somalians who live here are at it like rabbits. Look at our neighbour Turkey there like ants.

I could go on and on but you get the drift

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

I think you're right. Speaking the language should the starting point. Doesn't need to be fluent, but being able to communicate in Greek is an important first step.

#9 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

How are the Greeks in Canada? btw its funny how its only me and you talking about this topic

#10 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Since Greeks in Canada live so far away from Greece, and most of them don't have the opportunity to go back often, they've held on to most of the traditions they brought with them when they immigrated to Canada (most of them in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s).

From my experience, most of the Greek-Canadians who were born in Canada speak and understand some Greek. Some of them are pretty fluent, others can just communicate using basic phrases. But overall I'd say most of them do speak enough Greek to go by.

#11 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:18 AM

I recently watched a documentary about Greeks in Canada, you seemed to of had a lot more projects in regards to keeping the diaspora going

#12 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Canada is a truly multicultural society. The government supports and encourages multiculturalism. All major cities have Greek communities, Greek schools etc.

#13 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Yeah of  course, I know. Will there still be a Greek community in many years to come though. I hope so

#14 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Nobody knows, but if you look at the US where there are older Greek communities from the early 1900s - and even though the US are not "encouraging" multiculturalism as much as Canada does - there are still thriving Greek communities in many cities, and I've personally met with 3rd and 4th generation Greeks who are very Americanized but still consider themselves Greeks (and some of them surprisingly do speak some Greek!)

#15 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Well I took my mum out the other day for mothers day to eat at a Greek restaurant. I saw second generation Greeks with non-Greeks and there kids (3rd Generation) were with non-Greeks, so that right there is pretty much a race gone unless the 3rd Generations kids get with Greeks, but I somehow dont see that happening. Most of the restaurant had some Greek influence but the majority was mixed :( 

I'm glad to hear that about the american Greeks, I have always heard how most Americans call themselves american when there not. Something needs to be done. It's obvious not many people care seeing as its just me and you talking about the subject

#16 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Well, you can't force Greeks marry to other Greeks in multicultural societies where Greeks are a minority. Saying this for Greeks and Greek-Cypriots living in Europe it should be much easier to stay connected to their heritage. It's a short 3 hour flight from anywhere in the UK to Greece or Cyprus, and the flights are cheap too. If I lived in the UK I'd be visiting Greece 3-4 times/year!

#17 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

I know you cant force anyone! however if your brought up and told to stick with your own kind and you mix more with your own kind our race is more likely to stay within our roots. So where Greeks are a minority before you know it they'll all be mixed and matched and that bloodline no longer exists, it'll be my great great great great yiayia was Greek. But even where there is a large Greek community this happens. to be fair flights might be cheap but to actually buy food and living costs is pretty high in Cyprus and Greece. How often do you go?

#18 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

I go every summer, and we're a family of 4. I've made it a priority for us to go back every year.

I guess everyone makes their own choices. For some people it may not be important to visit Greece that often. For me it is. Despite being a very expensive trip I make sure to make it happen every summer.

#19 ajaxmonkey

ajaxmonkey

にこです

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • 17 thanks

Donator

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

I know you cant force anyone! however if your brought up and told to stick with your own kind and you mix more with your own kind our race is more likely to stay within our roots. So where Greeks are a minority before you know it they'll all be mixed and matched and that bloodline no longer exists, it'll be my great great great great yiayia was Greek. But even where there is a large Greek community this happens. to be fair flights might be cheap but to actually buy food and living costs is pretty high in Cyprus and Greece. How often do you go?

I live in America and have absolutely no contact to "American Greeks".

Why? Cause they have NOTHING to offer. When I first came to the US I got in touch with some Greeks in Houston and it was a rather disappointing experience.

First thing I was asked is: How come we don't see you at the Greek Church?

Telling them that I don't give a damn about religion in general and the Greek Orthodox flavour of Christianity in particular made me already an outcast for the bulk of them.

No big loss on my part. Most off those guys live in their little Grecian bubble and regurgitate the same stale stuff over and over again. There is nothing to be learned by that.

We live in a big world with many interesting people and Ideas. So why should I waste my time in the Grecian "Ghetto"?

I was born in Greece and speak the language, and yet: I don't care for Greece.

It has become an insular, intellectually inbred society that is completely out of touch with the reality of the modern world. And Greeks are bound for extinction because of that.

Sure, I still have a house and family in Greece and I visit often. Not because I miss "The Greeks" but because I miss my family, my few friends and the hills around my village.  

#20 cyprusellas

cyprusellas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:53 AM

No one's saying to live in a Grecian ghetto. I don't really see the issue if someone asked  you why they don't see you at church, seeing as we're Greek orthodox and seeing a fellow Greek they probably thought exactly that.

May I ask why you even made contact with those Greeks seeing as you don't really care much for Greeks?. I've visited Greece and its Islands and I'm from Cyprus and  the majority of them were up to date with the world some even more modern and hold less values than the Greeks in England,dont get me wrong some villages are not quite so advanced but its a bit far fetched to say Greeks from the homeland arent modern. 

so let me get this right, because you feel Greeks are intellectually inbred and not modern enough etc that will lead to Greek extinction? I find that hard to believe on the contrary Greeks who dont care for Greece, its people and what these "Greeks have to offer" will result in our extinction, so sad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Hellenism Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  logarithmo : (13 December 2017 - 12:22 PM)

Την καλημέρα μας και Καλές Γιορτές να έχουμε !!! Τεράστιε sprinter ;)

@  sprinter : (11 December 2017 - 08:10 AM)

Βέρτης Νίκος - Live Tour 10 Χρόνια (2Cd + Dvd)

@  sprinter : (11 December 2017 - 07:58 AM)

Γιώργος Νταλάρας - Με Δυο Παπούτσια Πάνινα (1997)

@  takis5103 : (10 December 2017 - 10:51 AM)

sfakianakis

@  logarithmo : (09 December 2017 - 04:43 PM)

ΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ ΝΤΑΛΑΡΑΣ / ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ - ΓΙΑΝΝΕΝΑ ΜΕ ΔΥΟ ΠΑΠΟΥΤΣΙΑ ΠΑΝΙΝΑ / GORAN BREGOVIC

@  bilou75 : (06 December 2017 - 03:16 PM)

ΠΙΤΣΑ ΠΑΠΑΔΟΠΟΥΛΟΥ

@  habs021 : (29 November 2017 - 01:23 PM)

ΒΕΡΤΗΣ ΝΙΚΟΣ - LIVE TOUR 10 ΧΡΟΝΙΑ παιδια δεν ειναι ενεργο κανενα λινκ.. λεει file not found..

@  habs021 : (29 November 2017 - 01:01 PM)

ΒΟΥΛΓΑΡΑΚΗ + ΣΤΟΚΑΣ - ΛΑΒΥΡΙΝΘΟΙ

@  tsihlini : (29 November 2017 - 12:59 AM)

ΡΕΜΟς

@  takis7 : (17 November 2017 - 09:53 AM)

Ενταξει ολα ... σε ευχαριστω πολύ