Πήγαινε στο περιεχόμενο
Επισκέπτης

America just got greater.

Most people in the US and Canada seem to be shocked by the results of yesterday's election. For those of us who live outside the bubble this was not a huge surprise. The exact same thing happened in the UK a few months ago, in Greece last year, and in several other European countries over the past year or two.

The world is changing. The US elite will have to get on with the times. This is the era of the populists (Trump, Farage, Tsipras etc.).

Δημοσίευση σε άλλες σελίδες
Επισκέπτης

I feel genuinely relived that Hillary got trumped. My daughter and son in law are in the US-Navy reserve. Her eagerness to "Save" Allepo, confront Iran, establish a No Fly zone over Syria while the Russian air force is present could have put my kids lives at risk.

The elected leader of a country has one job and one job only: To address the issues the people of HIS country are facing. The "Old, Ignorant, Uneducated" Americans who understand that elected Trump. While the voters in more "Progressive Nations" elect "World Citizens" who busy themselves "Saving" the world and don't give a flip about the people of the nation they are supposed to lead.

What happened in America is the rebirth of Democracy. 

It's very short sighted to look at things just from your personal interest perspective.

I guess Trump may (or may not) be good news for Syria. We'll have to see if he will change something in the way the US is dealing with this situation. However, what's certain is that his ascent to power will affect how you and your family live your lives within the US. You are an immigrant yourself, and if I remember correctly your wife is an immigrant too (she's Hispanic, isn't she?).

Don't you think that this may be a problem in a country which voted for a president someone who sees all immigrants, and especially the latinos, as a problem?

Επισκέπτης

My second wife is a native, hispanic Tejana. Her people lived here since the ice age and no she's not an immigrant. She does has relatives in Nuevo Laredo though who where driven out after the Mexican American war. My first wife was an American born Korean. My son in law is american born to immigrant Mexican Parents. I'm the only Immigrant in my tri-racial family. And if a Trump win means I'll get kicked out tomorrow. I'll take that gladly. I prefer that to seeing my kids being called up to defend Freedom and Democracy in Syria while 1.000.000 fighting age Syrian men receive welfare in Germany and France. If you call that shortsighted and selfish: so be it.

Well, according to Trump your Mexican in-laws must be rapists, prostitutes, you name it. I don't suppose you see them that way too. So why would you think that Trump's extreme (and unjustifiable) views work well for you (as an individual) and for the US as a country.

Trump has said some pretty horrid things over the past few months. I think you're intelligent enough to understand that he's a buffoon. Yes, we do laugh with his antics from time to time, but that's all there is to it. He's good for a laugh here and there, but if you look at the situation seriously giving a person with his personality this much power is a dangerous thing.

In any case, I'm glad I don't live in the US. On the positive side (for the rest of us...), the US economy and the US dollar is probably going to suffer with Trump and the Republicans in power over the next few years, so this is good news for us Canadians buying US products and visiting the US as tourists.  :)

Επισκέπτης

Well, according to Trump your Mexican in-laws must be rapists, prostitutes, you name it. I don't suppose you see them that way too. So why would you think that Trump's extreme (and unjustifiable) views work well for you (as an individual) and for the US as a country.

Trump has said some pretty horrid things over the past few months. I think you're intelligent enough to understand that he's a buffoon. Yes, we do laugh with his antics from time to time, but that's all there is to it. He's good for a laugh here and there, but if you look at the situation seriously giving a person with his personality this much power is a dangerous thing.

In any case, I'm glad I don't live in the US. On the positive side (for the rest of us...), the US economy and the US dollar is probably going to suffer with Trump and the Republicans in power over the next few years, so this is good news for us Canadians buying US products and visiting the US as tourists.  :)

You progressive Canadians know everything about Latinos. I'm just married to them and happen to live in Bexar county. Which btw is only 60% Latino. Non Hispanic whites are whopping 28% of the population here. And yes Hillary won Bexar but Trump still got 41% of the vote. Can you do the math?

Where does this leave the claim that the only ones  who Voted for Trump where deplorable, old, uneducated, racist, angry white men?

Sure Trump is an idiot, if he were not he would have taken Bexar county 4 to 1. Despite what you may think, Latinos are very conservative in their values. The just despise the Republican party cause way to many republican politicians target Latinos. And no one more than Trump. And yet, he still got 29% of the Latino vote nationwide. What does that tell you bout how Latinos see Hillary?

If the Latinos had turned up in droves, and Trump being the loudmouth he is, Hillary would have won the Election. But the greater part of Latinos didn't bother to go make Hillary a president. What did the democratic party do for the Latinos? The Latino middle class is under pressure like the middle class in general. They don't care about Syria or Iran. And they are not eager to welcome Muslim refugees here either. They have their own problems. There is a drug war going on in Mexico. South of the border is Cartel territory. Drugs come North money and weapons go south. The border towns on the southern side are dotted with brothels and there is quite a bit of human trafficking going on too. So guess what, drug dealers, Cartel hit men, and rapists do come across the border. Trump is certainly guilty of generalisations but so is the whole happy, progressive, global Hillary fan club that puts everyone who does not agree with them in the basket of deplorable, old, uneducated, white men.

This is just a replay of the Brexit result. Once you deny that there are issues everyone who sees any must be an evil hater.

And it has to be WHITE MEN of course.  Was watching some discussion on the causes of Trumps win on German Spiegel TV earlier today. And German feminist icon Alice Schwartzer was saying the problem is "The White Man" who acts like an angry gorilla. That's what got Trump elected. Curiously enough good old Alice never said a word about Syrian child brides, the refugee rape fest, Isis sex slaves or women denigrating Rappers. The WHITE MAN is the ONLY problem. All that progressive bullshit makes me wanna barf.    

Let me tell you one thing. as an American of Hellenic descent, I may be considered white male, but that is NOT why I VOTED TRUMP. As previously mentioned by others, prior administrations, cared about global issues leaving domestic issues fester. Children going hungry, homeless dying on the streets, infrastructure crumbling, while spending billions in international "adventures" of their own creation. They would demonize a situation or a leader by using their lapdog press, and use this information as a pretext for interventions.

We heard that story many times and we have waken up. Time to let a NON politician give it a try. He said all the right things, and the people believed. I just hope it was not a siren song.

I have listened to him talk for 10 to 15 years prior, and found him to be genuine and honest. He speaks his mind, regardless the consequences.

Most politicians ar from poor backgrounds and have to consider ther after the politicking lives, which makes them vulnerable to being bought. He is a billionaire. You can't buy buy him for a few miserly millions. 

Επισκέπτης

Lekatis:

I may be considered white male, but that is NOT why I VOTED TRUMP. As previously mentioned by others, prior administrations, cared about global issues leaving domestic issues fester. Children going hungry, homeless dying on the streets, infrastructure crumbling, while spending billions in international "adventures" of their own creation. They would demonize a situation or a leader by using their lapdog press, and use this information as a pretext for interventions.

You are spot on.

For those not familiar with "Obamacare" it was a legislation written entirely by hospital, medical associations and the pharmaceutical lobby. It was to entice the uninsured to sign up, get them used to paying for their healthcare, and then hit them over the head with the crazy rate increases. The latest, was reported to have increases for an average of 25%, but many localities were hit with a 100% increse. Do you want to sign up for that? get in line! Oh, I forgot, there is no line for that. You will be the first and only one for that!!!!

So then you're saying that it's better to be uninsured, as millions of poor Americans were before Obamacare, and have no way to pay for any medical expenses if something happened to you?

In the meantime, the rest of the civilized world provides free (or subsidized) health care to ALL of its citizens.

By the way, shouldn't Trump be wearing a red tie in the picture above?  :D

Επισκέπτης

So then you're saying that it's better to be uninsured, as millions of poor Americans were before Obamacare, and have no way to pay for any medical expenses if something happened to you?

In the meantime, the rest of the civilized world provides free (or subsidized) health care to ALL of its citizens.

By the way, shouldn't Trump be wearing a red tie in the picture above?  :D

You have the wrong idea about Obama care. I don't doubt that Obama started out with good intentions but at the end the lobbyists had their way and Obamacare ended up a mess. And yes, he had the republican congress against him. But don't forget that the Democratic establishment, which Hillary represents, did all it could to morph Obamacare into an abomination. At the end of the day the people don't see Obamacare as something that is worth protecting. That's why 100 mil eligible Voters (43%) stayed home.

In the 2008 election Obama received almost 70 mil votes. This year Trump and Clinton got about 59 mil votes each. What does that tell you?

Since 2008 Demographics shifted about 4% in favour of minorities. In the aftermath of the 2012 Election Nate Silver was declaring that the country has changed for good and "The Angry White Man" does not determine the outcome of elections. Yet here we are 4 years latter and the Clinton camp claims Hillary lost because a "White Lash". The uneducated deplorable hateful xenophobe white man denied Hillary the presidency.

But wait a second. Is that so?

What happened to the 70 Million people who voted for Obama in 2008? If they had come out to vote for Hillary she would have won the popular vote by a margin of 11 mil Votes. If you add to that the effects of the demographic shift she should have won by a margin of at least 15 mil votes. If she had managed to mobilise people the way Obama did in 2008 that is. In which case she would have stomped Trump in to the dust.

But that didn't happen. Why?

It is simply because Hillary was the wrong candidate. This election was not won by "Angry White Men" it was lost by Hillary and the establishment of the Democratic party. The fact that those morons are not willing to acknowledge that shows you how isolated, and comfy, they are in their echo chamber. The numbers don't lie:

Cw1RUvqWgAATypw.jpg

I don't think anyone argues that Clinton was the wrong candidate for the democrats. This was clear as early as last year where there were a few polls showing that between her and Sanders only Sanders had a good chance of winning Trump. Obviously the democrats didn't take those polls seriously.

I never was a big fan of Hilary myself, but again, she's not really the "devil" most people think she is. If elected she'd most likely have been a middle of the road president. She's already what you'd call a "centrist" and if anything, most elected presidents end up shifting a bit to the right when in office.

It's going to be interesting to see how Trump is going to "evolve" when he take on his role as the president. Will he continue his antics as a president too? We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not hopeful that he'll change. Most people expected that he'd tone it down after he'd won the Republican nomination but the guy continued saying crazy things up until the day he was elected. The only time I thought that he toned it down a bit was with his celebratory speech after he won the elections. Up to that point he's been off the leash saying crazy things left and right. 

The guy is a loose canon so if nothing else this is going to be 4 years of laughing with him and his antics. I just hope that his joker will only screw up America and not the rest of the world.

Επισκέπτης

Clinton is not a centrist. She's a vicious neocon attack dog. That's why the centrist crowd that elected Obama twice didn't bother to go vote for her.

Obama received 70 million votes back in 2008 because he was the voice of reason. He campaigned on domestic issues and against the Bush wars Hillary supported. Obama bested McCain and Palin, the demented duo and true darling of the Angry White Man, by 10 mil votes. Clinton couldn't match Obamas success cause she's in substance indistinguishable from her good friend McCain. Obama didn't manage to do all the things he wanted but he did fight long and hard against the Republican Congress and the Interventionist fraction within his own party (aka Hillary). And he did restrain them to a great extend. That's why Obama, or someone even half as good, would have no problem to beat Trump or anyone else.

As far as Trump is concerned, his presidency wont change America domestically, the demographic reality of the country will not allow that. Trumps foreign policy is most likely gonna be handled by John Bolton. The most aggressive neocon war hawk ever. That's the guy who wants to nuke Iran and dismantle the UN. Which makes him perfect for the job in my eyes. Not for the reasons you may think though. I like the prospect of a war monger such as Bolton being in charge of US foreign policy cause this will make it impossible for the European countries to participate in US adventures abroad. I shouldn't underestimate the spin-doctors of the Euro media conglomerates but I can't see how they could convince Europeans that going on a crusade with John - one hair away from full blown Nazi - Bolton fits in with European values.

The good thing about that is that America, without the support of Europe, will refrain from going on an interventionist quest.

Or perhaps they are stupid enough to do.

In which case we'll witness the end of American Hegemony.

Either way. Trump will, at best, achieve nothing and in the worst case for America lose the role of "Leader of the Free world".

Don't get me started with Obama. A little bit of a background; I became citizen and voted democratic (registered democratic also) since Jimmy carter. I have on occasion cast a supporting vote for a local Republican candidate, but never a presidential. I voted Obama, the first time, and after the obstructionist stance of the Republicans I gave him a pass for not doing what he pledged he'd do and voted for him a second time in the previous election. 

Came to realize, he was a total fraud. His was really a Trojan Horse that the elites planted in the election process, in order to move on with their agendas. His entire cabinet was selected and appointed by Citigroup as soon he got elected. 90% of his policies were big business giveaways. Look at TARP a 3 Trillion giveaway to the banks, Obamacare another giveaway to the insurance industry, Nuclear arsenal and weapons upgrades, a giveaway to the Military Industrial Complex; All his masters that will (I predict) take care of him when he's out of office, as they did the Clintons, the first ex president to become a Billionaire after leaving office. 

What did he really do for the common man? He really created no new jobs; At least nothing anyone can make a living and support a family on. With all those Trillions he gave to the banks, why couldn't  he say, forgive some of the oppressing debt people are under and can't pay because of this stagnant economy? He didn't. He just let the banks pocket it all.

Whet it came out that the entire Democratic machine was conspiring to undermine Sanders' candidacy, (which I already knew before Wikileaks exposed it with proof) my mind was made up. To hell with the politicians. I want someone who does not care about politics. I want change, and the kind that Obama promised and did not deliver.

I have to say, Wednesday morning around 3:00 AM felt as good or better as it did 8 years ago when we picked Obama, before we knew what a fraud he was. I just pray for our sake, Trump will not be as huge a disappointment as him. 

Guest FriendofGreece

I wonder how Trump is going to create jobs. Furthermore, it looks like he is ready to enter into a trade war with everybody. Slapping tarrifs and cancelling trade deals would isolate the US in a global world. And where will he find money to pay for the infrastructure?

What did he really do for the common man? He really created no new jobs; At least nothing anyone can make a living and support a family on. 

I wonder where you're basing this on? From what I know unemployment in the US is at an all-time low (or at least the lowest it's been in years).

The reality is that the jobs Trump is promising don't exist anymore - or at best they're headed towards extinction (for example don't expect new coal mines to open, and don't expect millions of new jobs to be created overnight for uneducated 50+ year old people. It's not going to happen).

Reality is going to hit Trump supporters really hard next year. 

Guest FriendofGreece

I agree with Admin. Whenever I read US news, they said that the unemployment rate is lower in recent years. Don't know what kind of jobs though.

As for Trump, listening to one of his speeches, it seems to me he hopes the manufacturing jobs will come back. Starting back from base zero because I think there are no manufactures of anything anymore, except big technologies and the arms industry. Surely, the US is not going to start manufacturing shoes, clothes and plastics again, will they? The big jobs he promised seem to come from rebuilding infrastructure, but again, who will pay for it? And will the American people want to do those kinds of jobs is another question, and at what wages.

Slapping tariffs on imports from China will just make them out of reach of the average and poor people. The future does not look so good.

Επισκέπτης

Once again. You Canadians know everything about America. Or think you do.

Well,

I don't know about Canada but since I lived and worked in Europe I can tell you that by European Standards unemployment in the US is about 50%.

Having a job in Europe means having a work contract, having healthcare, paying into the pension system, having payed vacation and payed sick leave, having unemployment benefits and so on. Less than half of Americans have any of that.

Instead they have two or three parttime McJobs with no benefits and can be fired without notice. When that happens they go and look for the next part time McJob and it goes on and on. There is no reason to go claim unemployment benefits cause unless you have a real job you wont get any. So yeah, unemployment is very low here in the US if you set the specs for employment really really really low.

That's something Europeans, and perhaps Canadians, don't seem to know.

Επισκέπτης

Don't get me started with Obama. A little bit of a background; I became citizen and voted democratic (registered democratic also) since Jimmy carter. I have on occasion cast a supporting vote for a local Republican candidate, but never a presidential. I voted Obama, the first time, and after the obstructionist stance of the Republicans I gave him a pass for not doing what he pledged he'd do and voted for him a second time in the previous election. 

Came to realize, he was a total fraud. His was really a Trojan Horse that the elites planted in the election process, in order to move on with their agendas. His entire cabinet was selected and appointed by Citigroup as soon he got elected. 90% of his policies were big business giveaways. Look at TARP a 3 Trillion giveaway to the banks, Obamacare another giveaway to the insurance industry, Nuclear arsenal and weapons upgrades, a giveaway to the Military Industrial Complex; All his masters that will (I predict) take care of him when he's out of office, as they did the Clintons, the first ex president to become a Billionaire after leaving office. 

What did he really do for the common man? He really created no new jobs; At least nothing anyone can make a living and support a family on. With all those Trillions he gave to the banks, why couldn't  he say, forgive some of the oppressing debt people are under and can't pay because of this stagnant economy? He didn't. He just let the banks pocket it all.

Whet it came out that the entire Democratic machine was conspiring to undermine Sanders' candidacy, (which I already knew before Wikileaks exposed it with proof) my mind was made up. To hell with the politicians. I want someone who does not care about politics. I want change, and the kind that Obama promised and did not deliver.

I have to say, Wednesday morning around 3:00 AM felt as good or better as it did 8 years ago when we picked Obama, before we knew what a fraud he was. I just pray for our sake, Trump will not be as huge a disappointment as him.

I think he was sincere when he first took over but that's just my subjective opinion. Anyhow, you are once again spot on with what you say about the banking bailout, pseudo job creation and the way the democratic party shafted Bernie Sanders.

Guest FriendofGreece

As outsiders, we can only read what they say in the newspapers (about the lower unemployment rate). I did say that I did not know what kind of jobs those were.

In Canada, we also take into account part-time jobs when tallying the unemployment rate. Whether full-time or part-time jobs, you are subject to the same rules re vacation pay, statutory holidays, etc.

Επισκέπτης

Canada seems to be closer to north central Europe in this respect. Here in the states you get full benefits if you work for a larger corporation. And even among the largest there are black sheep, like Walmart for example. This may differ to some extend from region to region, but here in San Antonio there are only a hand full of serious corporate employers. Most jobs are at or slightly above minimum wage and part time. So the fact that San Antonio has a super high employment rate doesn't mean much.

Do you really want to talk new jobs? Unemployment rates is a manufactured rate to make a regime look good at a time of elections. The actual unemployment rate in the United States is more closer to 20%. Anyone who stopped looking for work because nothing was available in his field or could not get anything worth his/her time, was dropped from the count. Anybody who's unemployment benefits ran out, guess what, was also dropped from the count. If you took, out of desperation a minimum wage job just to be able to buy a loaf  of bread while you moved back with parents/ relatives, you are also not counted. If you really want to get into rates of unemployment of black and brown youth, those are astronomical. They resemble rates seen in Spain or even our beloved Greece. Remember, if you graduate from school and can't find work, you are not yet counted as unemployed!

I have a child that graduated 5 years ago with a geology degree. In the years since he has worked in his field  a grand total of 1.5 months. The rest of the time he has been waiting tables in one restaurant or another, or selling cars at a dealership. I don't call that employment, at least not for a college graduate.

Trumps promise was that he will bring back jobs, jobs that were exported for cheaper labor. Manufacturers would produce something for pennies outside the US and bring it back and sell it at the same price as when it was made here. That's pure greed and profiteering. I get that tariffs would increase prices, but If I'm working at a decent salary, I can afford to buy, I could be making those things here again.

You are talking about where the money will come from to do what he promised. When TARP was implemented (the giveaway of cold hard cash to the banksters), where did it come from? I will tell you. It was done by a mechanism called "Quantitative Easing" which is nothing more than PRINTING MONEY!!!! Money would magically appear and be given away for free to the banksters; trillions and trillions of it. Did that hurt the value of the Dollar? No, not really, because everyone else was doing the same thing and their currency was devalued at the same rate, so it all equalized. There is your cash for the jobs projects. Only difference, this time the people will benefit instead of the unanswerable criminals in Wall Street. 

Guest FriendofGreece

From what I read, Trump proposes to put tariffs on goods from China and Mexico. The thing is that the production has now shifted to other countries where wages are cheaper than China, like Bangladesh, India, etc. Should there be tariffs for those countries too? Furthermore, we are at the age of robotization, and even in China, they are laying off workers from the factories. 

Myself, I think it is a good idea to "bring back" jobs and produce in the US and in Canada, we should do the same because we lost our factories too. But how to go about "bringing back" the jobs is the issue.

The problem with all this is that corporations are profiting from the labour in the poor countries (paying rock bottom prices) and also profiting from consumers in the rich countries (charging high prices as if made in those countries). I don't know though whether tariffs is the way to go, because of backlash and retaliation which would affect US exports. Maybe the corporations should be taxed at a higher rate on profits when the goods they sell in the US are imported. Instead, Trump proposes to cut the tax rate, but I don't know if he meant corporate or individual tax rate.

Another thing is, even without tariffs, I think, in recent years, some US companies have been opening up factories again in the US. Also, I read that there is a reverse trend going on because the Chinese are now investing in the US and producing in the US instead of exporting in the US. Maybe the US government should provide incentives, not punishment, for foreign companies to come invest in the US and create jobs. If the US multinationals see that there are so many foreign companies coming, maybe they would themselves want to keep the jobs in the US too, I don't know.

Επισκέπτης

FoG:

where does this certainty that tariffs are a bad thing come from?

In the case of Greece for example tariffs would be a great idea. We got to a situation where we produce nothing and unemployment is sky high.

To keep government revenue up we slap 24% VAT on all things, including things produced in China. Does it not make sense in this situation to introduce a 24% tariff on all imported goods and at the same time abolish VAT.

This would keep the cost of imported goods at the same level it is now and at the same time give domestically produced goods a competitive advantage and create incentives for investment. But we are following the EU Corporate Free Trade doctrine instead and our country goes to hell.

The American economy is off course far more complex but there are nevertheless many aspects to it that would benefit from tariffs. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Don't think Trump will ever implement them. His team is already backpedalling on that one.

ΒΟΗΘΕΙΣΤΕ ΤΟ HELLENISM.NET!

Εάν σας ενδιαφέρει να γίνετε ενεργό μέλος του Hellenism.Net σαν moderator στο forum, ή αν σας ενδιαφέρει να γράφετε άρθρα/κείμενα στους λογαριασμούς Facebook, Twitter και Google+ του Hellenism.Net, ή αν ασχολείστε με προγραμματισμό ιστοσελίδων, τότε επικοινωνήστε μαζί μας!

Χρειαζόμαστε εθελοντές για να κρατησουμε το  Hellenism.Net ζωντανό!

Follow us

Hellenism.Net Facebook Feed