Photo

Should the children of migrants go to Greek schools?

49 replies to this topic

#41 FriendofGreece

FriendofGreece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your story, Ajax. Yes, it is true that motherland is where you built your roots. Nice story with the walnuts and almonds. Any significance as to why those two types of trees are chose?

Now that you live in the US and, I assume, your children are born in the US, would you say that their roots are in the US or their motherland is where your own roots are?

Bu the time you yourself were born in Greece, was the situation better? 

What happens with Makedonia, why did they need to hold into it?

#42 ajaxmonkey

ajaxmonkey

にこです

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • 17 thanks

Donator

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:29 PM

They didn't care much about cultural significance they chose almond and walnut because they live long, produce fruit and are beautiful to look upon in full bloom.

Are my kids gonna feel the same way about those things? I doubt it. Our "Modernity" doesn't leave much room for roots. We are not people of the Land anymore, we are loose leafs that are blown around by the winds of supply and demand, share holder value, profit. The Land does not belong to US anymore. We are the heard, the cattle of our betters. We work, consume, increase stock market value, die and leave nothing behind that is worth remembering. My sentimental attachment to archaic values won't change the world my children live in.

Regardless. I can not forget and still lament the loss of my people.

#43 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 761 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:35 PM

You have to remember though that people were not attached to the land thousands of years ago, before the agrarian societies.

So in a way we're going back to where our ancestors were thousands of years ago. They were moving from place to place in search of new food sources. We're moving from place to place in search of work (which in turn will allow us to buy food and buy all those other things important for each one's lifestyle).

#44 FriendofGreece

FriendofGreece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:34 AM

Another thing is that children of immigrants are asked to integrate, integrate, integrate. Integration is necessary for them to survive. However, in the process of integration, they tend to forget the roots of their ancestors, especially if they don't travel to Greece, for example, or if you don't speak Greek at home, or if they are mixed ethnicities. 

Roots are good because they are part of our identity, and I think when we know our roots, going back to the roots of our ancestors, we know ourselves better. However, that being said, roots are the past. I think it is also important to pay attention, if not more so, to the present and the future, because the past you cannot change, but the present and the future, you can. Overall, after all, what is more important than the family? To me, where the family is, no matter wherever on this planet, that is where home is.

Ajaxmonkey - nice song, thanks for posting. I actually like that kind of music, sounds like music from Smyrna. What is the location of the picture in the video?

#45 ajaxmonkey

ajaxmonkey

にこです

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • 17 thanks

Donator

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

Well, 

my father immigrated to Germany when I was very little, I grew up there went to college, moved around Europe for a couple of years and then came to the US. The "Integrate" part is not all that difficult. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. And if that doesn't suite you stay the hell out of Rome. No matter where you are, you have to learn the language, adopt the local customs, follow the laws and participate. Don't go insisting on how "Different" you are. If you can't appreciate the culture of the place, you've picked the wrong place. I managed to fit in, repeatedly, without forgetting my roots or loosing my Identity. But then again, I didn't move to Saudi Arabia but places that were compatible with my upbringing.

And having multiple ethnicities in a family is not an issue. I my extended family we have Mexican, Korean, Lebanese, Russian, German, Swedish, Finnish, Albanian nephews. They are all cousins and get along just fine. In fact, it is rather convenient to be connected to so many places. You got a place to stay no matter where you go.

And it also gives you an insight into what's going on in the world. And you can't help but notice a certain anxiety. Even in places where the economy is humming and life is easy. A lot of things are in flux. For the greater part the places I've mentioned have improved dramatically over the past 20 years but now there is a feeling that we are running against a wall. Yes, life is good for me here in Texas, my lazy ass can make an easy leaving by doing a bit of planning, pulling resources from a competitive, and cheap, global pool, and applying a hefty markup. If it weren't for globalization I would be forced to do real work. But the situation is different for the kids. Even in places where there are jobs, good jobs are rare and investing much time and money in education has become a risky investment. What's IN today is already OUT tomorrow. It is becoming increasingly difficult for young people to find their place in this fast paced environment.  

#46 ajaxmonkey

ajaxmonkey

にこです

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • 17 thanks

Donator

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

PS. The picture is probably from Pontian Mountains, south of Trabzon. Not sure though. The song is a "MOIROLOI" meaning lamentation and the people of Smyrna have those too. Anyhow, that's a Pontian version accompanied by a Pontian Lyra (Kemence).

Here is some more Kemence for you:

#47 ajaxmonkey

ajaxmonkey

にこです

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • 17 thanks

Donator

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

But to get back to the refugees.

I sympathize with them. And no doubt, the Greek state has to welcome refugee children into the Greek school system and make it easier for those who'll end up staying in Greece to integrate into Greek society. But in order for that to happen we must make distinctions. Not every body who washes up on our shores is a refugee. In fact many are just thugs. Like those Algerian and Moroccan and Tunisian  guys who went on a riot a few days back. Their little stunt was answered by some Greek thugs who threw Molotov cocktails into the camp and endanger real refugees.

Our resources are already stretched and the tensions are high so why is it again that we tolerate Morrocan, Algerian and Tunisian thugs?

All those countries have association agreements with the EU since 2000, 2005, 1998. So why are we not deporting those people?

Why are we keeping them in camps that are way beyond capacity together with legitimate Syrian refugee families? How come Germany can deport back to Afghanistan but we can't because of "The International Community". And who exactly is a member of this International community? Apparently not Morroco, Algeria and Tunisia. Even though they sit in all international bodies, cosign resolutions and issue declarations they leave us to deal with the overflow their societies produce. That's one dysfunctional "International Community"!

Yes. I forgot. Our lefty government does not believe in borders and wont consider anyone an illegal. Even if he blockades roads, tramples over our fields and crops or holes himself up in the Athens Polytechnic school, destroys facilities, burns Greek flags and sets Greek police officers on fire. Does any of this help the real refugees? Does any of this make it any easier to address their needs and make their stay in Greece less insufferable?

Yes the refugee crisis is a challenge but what elevates it into a catastrophe is SYRIZA using their pseudo internationalist dogma as an excuse for their inaction and incompetence. 

#48 FriendofGreece

FriendofGreece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:25 AM

That is a nice song, thanks, Ajaxmonkey. It reminds me a bit of a song in the Athens Olympics, with men dressed in black with tall boots, but I think they are Cretans.

What a multicultural family you have, must be interesting the conversations. If for nothing else, it is a good geography lesson.  :D

About the migrants issue, there is a lack of transparency from the Greek government. I know the EU does not help sending the experts for screening the migrants. Out of the promised 400 experts, only 45 or something like that were sent to Greece. Even now, they have withdrawn them because of perceived security risks in the camps.

Yes, I don't know why Greece does not deport all those Algerians, Tunisians, Moroccans, etc. They destroy and create havoc wherever they are.

#49 ajaxmonkey

ajaxmonkey

にこです

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • 17 thanks

Donator

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:54 AM

FoG:

What a multicultural family you have, must be interesting the conversations.

I think you got the wrong impression. Having multiple races in our family doesn't make us multicultural. To the contrary, we have our very own singular culture. Culture is not a matter of form but one of substance. The thing I've learned from experience is that people who use different forms to express the same Ideas have no problem getting along. People who adhere to opposing principles on the other hand can not get along. Even if they speak the same language and are of the same race.

#50 Jen

Jen

• Moderators
  • 201 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

If they live on Greek land they are subject to Greek law!!!  

Greece needs to set boundaries, its the first step to taking care of the country and its people...

Boundaries = Respect

Thanked by 1 Member:
Brenda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Hellenism Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  sprinter : (11 December 2017 - 08:10 AM)

Βέρτης Νίκος - Live Tour 10 Χρόνια (2Cd + Dvd)

@  sprinter : (11 December 2017 - 07:58 AM)

Γιώργος Νταλάρας - Με Δυο Παπούτσια Πάνινα (1997)

@  takis5103 : (10 December 2017 - 10:51 AM)

sfakianakis

@  logarithmo : (09 December 2017 - 04:43 PM)

ΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ ΝΤΑΛΑΡΑΣ / ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ - ΓΙΑΝΝΕΝΑ ΜΕ ΔΥΟ ΠΑΠΟΥΤΣΙΑ ΠΑΝΙΝΑ / GORAN BREGOVIC

@  bilou75 : (06 December 2017 - 03:16 PM)

ΠΙΤΣΑ ΠΑΠΑΔΟΠΟΥΛΟΥ

@  habs021 : (29 November 2017 - 01:23 PM)

ΒΕΡΤΗΣ ΝΙΚΟΣ - LIVE TOUR 10 ΧΡΟΝΙΑ παιδια δεν ειναι ενεργο κανενα λινκ.. λεει file not found..

@  habs021 : (29 November 2017 - 01:01 PM)

ΒΟΥΛΓΑΡΑΚΗ + ΣΤΟΚΑΣ - ΛΑΒΥΡΙΝΘΟΙ

@  tsihlini : (29 November 2017 - 12:59 AM)

ΡΕΜΟς

@  takis7 : (17 November 2017 - 09:53 AM)

Ενταξει ολα ... σε ευχαριστω πολύ

@  takis7 : (17 November 2017 - 09:52 AM)

test