greek culture, greek mythology, greek history
Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Hellenism.Net - Greek Forum    Hellenism.Net Forum    Genealogy  ›  Marinacos - Peloponnesus Moderators: chrysoula, jen, dino, brenda
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Marinacos - Peloponnesus  This thread currently has 695 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
eastsacart
February 10, 2012, 8:55pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I am searching for the origin of my great grandfather's family.  His immigration documents (1891) show his name as George Nicholas Marinacos and his date of birth as 23 Apr 1876.  He settled in Chicago, IL and then, sometime after 1905, the name changed to Marinos.  I am interested in alternate spellings of the Marinacos surname.  I have some vague information indicating he may have been from Sparta or Laconia.  

My great grandfather returned to Greece in 1930, following the loss of his restaurant and other assets during the Depression.  The family lost track of him; however, LDS Genealogy reports that he died in Greece on 4 Jul 1944.  There are no sources listed. I am trying to locate information that may help me locate records of his birth or death.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

admin
February 11, 2012, 11:01am Report to Moderator

http://www.esquaredmedia.com
Administrator
Administrator
You should try searching for "Marinakos". Try Facebook.
Last names ending in -akos are usually from the Laconia area, most likely Mani.

Good luck!

Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
eastsacart
February 11, 2012, 8:10pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks for the response.  I have tried facebook, but there was only one result and that one didn't help me.  

I'm curious why you suggested the family is most likely from Mani.  Is it because that is where most Marinakos families are from?
E-mail Reply: 2 - 3
admin
February 18, 2012, 12:19am Report to Moderator

http://www.esquaredmedia.com
Administrator
Administrator
That's correct. Last names ending in -akos are usually from the Mani area.

Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Hellenism.Net - Greek Forum    Hellenism.Net Forum    Genealogy  ›  Marinacos - Peloponnesus

Website designed by esquaredmedia.com - Powered by E-Blah Forum Software 10.3.6 © 2001-2008 - October 24, 2014, 7:39am