greek culture, greek mythology, greek history
Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Hellenism.Net - Greek Forum    Hellenism.Net Forum    Genealogy  ›  Arnaoutis from Mytilene Moderators: chrysoula, jen, dino, brenda
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Arnaoutis from Mytilene  This thread currently has 934 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
coco0876
July 17, 2011, 4:25pm Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
my Papou was born in the village Halica (sp?) Mytilene, Lesvos. He came over on "the boat" in early 1900's and we are searching for any Greek relatives we may have along with info in his parents names.

The dates are a bit old as he had my father when he was nearly 70!  The US records say he was born around August  1886 but we have 1 Greek document that shows 1882.
His American name was Peter Anesti but his Greek name was Παναγιώτης Ανέστη Αρναούτης (panagiotis anesti arnaoutis) and he went to Boston mass after arriving @ Ellis island in Ny

I would love to be able to bring some positive info to my father !! We have been looking for info on his dad and haven't been able to find anything. I was hoping to get a birth cert from Greece that may show his family names but haven't had much luck online.

He had 1 brother that we know of (possibly a twin and maybe  named Paul - my father maned after him.) also at least 1sister possibly named viktoria ?

Any help or info would b great ,,  thank you so much !

- Nikki Anesti   
Logged Offline
Private Message
admin
July 19, 2011, 2:09pm Report to Moderator

http://www.esquaredmedia.com
Administrator
Administrator
Hi Nikki,

Thanks for visiting Hellenism.net

I found 2 Arnaoutis' on Lesvos island:
ARNAOUTIS ALEXANDROS N
AGIASOS, LESVOU
Phone: 22520 31350

ARNAOUTIS PANAGIOTIS E
MYTILINI, PAMFILIS 25
Phone: 22510 26227

I guess many more Arnaoutis may have migrated to Athens or other major cities in mainland Greece (a quick search on Athens brought up 26 more Arnaoutis').

I think your best bet would be trying to connect with some Arnaoutis' in Facebook and ask them about their heritage etc. Some of them could be your relatives.

Good luck!

Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
coco0876
October 13, 2011, 5:45pm Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
Hi there! Ty so much for your reply.  I tried to get thru to those numbers in Greece but no1 ever answers.  Maybe they dont pick up for foreign calls?

I do have some positive news!  I found out the names of my papou's parents !!  Anesti Arnaoutis and Mary Marocko ( both from mytilene)  am once again at a standstill though because have found almost nothing on the name Marocko and think that it was interpreted that way because my grandfather spoke very broken English and he would have dictated the name to whomever wrote it down.  Any info on the Arnaoutis or Marocko family would b great,  ty
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
admin
October 13, 2011, 7:20pm Report to Moderator

http://www.esquaredmedia.com
Administrator
Administrator
Marocko doesn't sound like a Greek last name. It's probably misspelled.
Did you try searching for other Arnaoutis' in Facebook? There's a bunch of them in there, see if you can get some more info throught them  

Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Hellenism.Net - Greek Forum    Hellenism.Net Forum    Genealogy  ›  Arnaoutis from Mytilene

Website designed by esquaredmedia.com - Powered by E-Blah Forum Software 10.3.6 © 2001-2008 - April 16, 2014, 11:57am