greek culture, greek mythology, greek history
Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Hellenism.Net - Greek Forum    Hellenism.Net Forum    Genealogy  ›  Looking for Greek relatives Moderators: chrysoula, jen, dino, brenda
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Looking for Greek relatives   This thread currently has 1,303 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
NZGreek@Heart
May 9, 2011, 7:39pm Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
HI I'm from New Zealand and I've been trying to find out more about my Greek Heritage.
My great grandfather Nicholas Calogaras was Greek.But I'm not sure if he came from Greece itself or one of the Greek islands. He came to NZ sometime around 1899 as a labourer . I'm just wondering if there are people still using the last name Calogaras in Greece or maybe the name changed slighty when he moved to NZ. I don't carry the name but I do have cousins that do. If there's anyone that can help me with this I would really appreciate it thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
admin
May 9, 2011, 8:35pm Report to Moderator

http://www.esquaredmedia.com
Administrator
Administrator
Your great-grandfathers name is most probably "Kalogeras". This is a pretty common Greek last name.

Try a search in Facebook as a start and ask around if anyone knows of any relatives that moved to New Zealand or Australia in the early 1900's.

Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
NZGreek@Heart
May 12, 2011, 1:41am Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
Ok will do. thank you for the help  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
ioniangirl
May 12, 2012, 3:13am Report to Moderator
Athenian Nobleman
NZGREEK@Heart

Perhaps you could get in touch with some of the Australian Greek societies........especially the ones from the islands...like Kythera.

In that period of time there were a lot of Ionians in Australia and many had difficult jobs. A lot have recorded their history.

Putting up posts on the various sites such as the Kythera society may help you.

be persistent and take care

Ionian girl

'It is harder to conquer a woman than to subdue any wild beast"...Aristophanes
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Hellenism.Net - Greek Forum    Hellenism.Net Forum    Genealogy  ›  Looking for Greek relatives

Website designed by esquaredmedia.com - Powered by E-Blah Forum Software 10.3.6 © 2001-2008 - October 21, 2014, 3:18am