greek culture, greek mythology, greek history
Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Hellenism.Net - Greek Forum    Hellenism.Net Forum    Genealogy  ›  surname  "Mamacos"  or "Mamakos" Moderators: chrysoula, jen, dino, brenda
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

surname  "Mamacos"  or "Mamakos"  This thread currently has 2,534 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
mamacos0213
January 11, 2009, 12:07am Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
hi there...i been curious all my life about my family name "mamacos". as far as i know from my ancestors our roots came from greece. i would like to know anything about what does  "mamacos" means in greek and which region mostly this surname domicile. i would love to hear anyone from there who knows my surname.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Memnon
January 11, 2009, 11:10am Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
Your name is Greek and judging from the ending it probably originates from the Peloponesse.  Now, its meaning can be a bit more difficult to decipher.  Mamakos probably comes from the common term Mama (so Mamakos=mumsie, mummie's boy) ) which means Mother in Greek, so probably one of your ancestors had a soft spot for his mum or something like that.  There are others in here with more experience in Geneology so i hope u get some answers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
mamacos0213
January 11, 2009, 11:18am Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
hi memnon..tnx much for the info..actually i been suspecting that my surname has  something to do with "mother"...but has no knowledge whatsoever about greek language, only english. I hope i can find more answers here. i hope also that the place u said will give me more lead to trace my roots in greece.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 13
mamacos0213
January 11, 2009, 11:33am Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
BTW, can anyone here knows how to write in greek alphabet  the word  "MAMACOS" or "MAMAKOS". i need to compare something written in greek text about my surname. tnx much.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
admin
January 12, 2009, 9:11am Report to Moderator

http://www.esquaredmedia.com
Administrator
Administrator
Memnon's explanation is right to the point. I'd probably guess the same thing, that "Mamakos" means "mummie's boy".

The word MAMAKOS is written the same way in both Greek and English.

Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
mamacos0213
January 12, 2009, 9:32am Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
hi admin..tnx much for the info. are u based from greece or somewhere else? Id like to know which part of greece do most of this surname live?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
admin
January 12, 2009, 10:18am Report to Moderator

http://www.esquaredmedia.com
Administrator
Administrator
I was born in Greece but now live in Canada.

The -akos ending shows that the name is probably from the Mani area (south Pelloponese - Sparta). However, you have to remember that there was constant migration of Greeks from the villages - small towns to the big cities (especially Athens) back in the 50s - 60s so as a start for your research I would suggest that you start with the Mani and Sparta area and then also try Athens.

Good luck!

Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 13
chrysoula
September 6, 2009, 9:18am Report to Moderator

Use your HeART
Paidagogos
Dear mamacos0213,

After a small search I found that most Mamakos' are listed in the island of Lesvos (Mytilini) and a couple in Athens and other places, so I would assume that Lesvos is the point of origin.
There are about 35 entries in the town of Plomari of Lesvos and you can find them at http://www.whtiepages.gr select region other/Lesvos

I hope you get in touch with them soon. Perhaps you can visit them on your next vacation in Greece.
God Bless
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
polypat
November 13, 2010, 2:06am Report to Moderator
Spartan Warrior
There is a very weel known and good resturant in Athens in the fashionable area of Gazi called MAMAKOS
Try them

polypat
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 13
chrysoula
January 20, 2011, 4:30pm Report to Moderator

Use your HeART
Paidagogos
A reply from our friend Eleni:

eleni mandamadiotou     

"θα ηθελα να σας δωσω συνχαρητηρια για την σελιδα αυτη. θελω να πω στον μαμακο 0213>> οτι το ονομα αυτο ειναι απο την μανη.Η ιστορια λεει οτι για να αποφηγει μια βεντετα η μητερα τους,ετειλε καποιους μακρια. Καποιοι πηγαν στη μικρα ασια και σε καποιο απο τους διωγμους των τουρκων εφηγαν και ηρθαν στη μυτιληνη.ειναι προγονοι της μητερας μου το πατρωνυμο της ειναι Μαμακου.."

Let me know if you don't read Greek
Chrysoula
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Hellenism.Net - Greek Forum    Hellenism.Net Forum    Genealogy  ›  surname  "Mamacos"  or "Mamakos"

Website designed by esquaredmedia.com - Powered by E-Blah Forum Software 10.3.6 © 2001-2008 - April 16, 2014, 6:03am